1 month in, suddenly feel very hungry

Options
I've been pretty disciplined with food and have been doing lots of walking and gradually incorporating other exercise too. It has been great. Everything has felt good and I haven't really felt too hungry. I've lost about 10 lbs in 4 weeks. All of a sudden I feel as though my body is saying; What on earth are you up to? EAT. It's only been one day like this...I'm just worried that I'm not going to snap back on track. Any tips/ideas?

Replies

• Tuttie56
    Options
    :happy: I know how you feel but actually will only have 7 days on Saturday for weigh in, I came home today very hungry, so I fixed my dinner early but am trying to motivate myself to go swim, had been doing really well with exercise, but seem to be tired today.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it just takes a while for your body to adjust - keep on being consistent and it will get the message. When I first started having green smoothies for breakfast I was hungry before lunch but after a month or so it settled down and now I find them really filling. Personally I'm really ravenous when it's 'that time of the month' and just want to eat carbs, carbs and more carbs. Sometimes it's hard to work out if you're mentally hungry or physically hungry - make sure you're eating enough of a well balanced.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I was cruising along fine, and then all of a sudden I was starving all the time. So, I upped my calorie goal by 100 a day when it didn't go away. This did not affect my weight loss at all -- I continued to lose a pound a week. In fact, when it happened again about another month later, I again upped my calories. (I went from 1400 to 1500 to 1600).

How many calories are you eating? It's entirely possible that your body needs more calories if you are putting in more exercise.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    We could give you better advice if your diary were open.

Do you eat your exercise calories? Are you using the calorie goal MFP gave you or some other number?
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    TAKE A NAP...allow yourself to sleep longer a couple of days.....watch a movie.....take a longer walk...as in a couple of hours....I am finding counting the calories and fat grams have done wonders for me...I truly do not feel deprived...I just eat things I like and get the low fat or no fat version...hope this helps...just remember, one day of feeling that way is worth have the 10 lbs off...you can do anything for a day!
  • Almaviva14
    Almaviva14 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys for your such speedy replies. I can't believe it! This is amazing support. I've just been into my goal thing and changed it. It was programmed for a 2lb weight loss a week (which they don't recommend), and I've been losing 2 1/2 per week for 4 weeks...and I was consistently eating less per day than the goal. So I've changed it to a 1 lb loss per week... So if things settle down, I can up it again to 2...but perhaps this would be a good idea to kind of take things more gently for a week..
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I try to eat something every 2.5-3 hrs. Just a light snack like nuts or yogurt or fruit. It all fits within my macros and is healthy, but if I didnt do that I'd be STARVING. Not sure if you do or not.

I've increase my calories now, but when I was cutting, some says we're just about will power! And lots of water!!
  • Almaviva14
    Options
    Still a bit shy :-)
  • nicgilding
    Options
    Fill up on protein. Protein makes you feel full even if you don't have a lot of it. Meal replacement shakes are good for that.
  • Almaviva14
    Options
    Not quite got the hang of this. I meant I was shy about my profile/diary being open...
    Just to say thank you again. I honestly feel remotivated pretty much instantly by your kind replies. Thank you!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys for your such speedy replies. I can't believe it! This is amazing support. I've just been into my goal thing and changed it. It was programmed for a 2lb weight loss a week (which they don't recommend), and I've been losing 2 1/2 per week for 4 weeks...and I was consistently eating less per day than the goal. So I've changed it to a 1 lb loss per week... So if things settle down, I can up it again to 2...but perhaps this would be a good idea to kind of take things more gently for a week..

I think that was a good idea. I'm set for 1lb per week, but I've lost 3 per week the first 2 weeks. If I lose 2 or 3 this week, I'm going to raise my calories as well.

If you ever want to share your diary for a question like this, keep in mind that you can close it again after you've received whatever help you needed. :flowerforyou:

I do find that I stay fuller, longer with more protein. MFP gives a very low protein goal. I aim for 120g per day.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had this issue for years and just last week i cut way back on wheat and upped my fat and protein. It worked like a dream for me!