do i need to exercise??

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a good reason not to exercise during your weight loss period, unless you are so overweight that exercise is a health risk. It does make losing weight a lot easier. Do you have to? No, but if you do plan on exercising, now is the best time to start. Every little bit helps too, you don't need to run on a treadmill for an hour and sweat off half your bodyweight
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This question makes me sad. : (

I can see all of your abs crying!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I can see all of your abs crying!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    If I don't exercise I tend to not lose the weight. You might be one of the lucky ones that can just watch what you eat and see the pounds go down. I am not one of those. Beyond that, exercise is as much for my mental well being as it is for my body. I tend to be impatient and shorter with people if it's been a while since Ive exercised. Im much happier after a good sweat. :)
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    ...not to mention is helps slow muscle loss as you get older.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ...not to mention is helps slow muscle loss as you get older.

And strengthens bones, regulates hormones, blood pressure and so many other benefits. SO the answer is YES you NEEEEEED to exercise. : )
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Just starting trying to get rid of the weight. My question is do I need to exercise now???? My thought is, if I can lose weight by reducing my calorie intake then it should work, right? Once I reach a point where I am no longer dropping the weight then I would start exercising. Is this a bad idea?? Everyone is telling me I need to exercise now.

You can lose weight without exercise, but in order to lose mostly fat and actually improve your health you'll really want to exercise, preferably in a good regimen including some resistance training and some cardio. The cardio will improve your cardiovascular capacity and stamina so you'll feel better, and the resistance training will help ensure you retain as much muscle as possible which, when combined with sufficient protein in your diet, will allow your body to burn off more fat and less muscle as you lose weight.

Weight loss without exercise just makes you skinnier, not actually that much healthier, because it'll be a pretty high percentage of lean body mass you are losing, and not as much fat. So your body fat percentage (a more accurate measure of health than the scale) won't tend to change all that much.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.

I was working out and I enjoyed it. Yes, sometimes finding time is difficult but I do. I'm new to this, so reading posts about how people stop losing weight after a certain point is what has me concerned. I thought that if I exercise when I start slowing down then it would help give me a boost?

Increasing the intensity of your exercise when your weight loss slows down or stops will tend to have the same effect, but with the added benefit of exercising NOW.

Of course, as you get closer to your goal, your weight loss will naturally slow down, and you should expect that. Those "last 20 pounds" are the hardest to lose, especially if you want to lose them in a healthy manner. But that's OK, because those "last 20 pounds" means you're already benefiting greatly from what you have lost so far, if you've done it properly with plenty of lovely exercise along the way.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just starting trying to get rid of the weight. My question is do I need to exercise now???? My thought is, if I can lose weight by reducing my calorie intake then it should work, right? Once I reach a point where I am no longer dropping the weight then I would start exercising. Is this a bad idea?? Everyone is telling me I need to exercise now.

It's a very personal thing....some people just hate exercise. I love it and find it really helps me stay on track and reinvigorates me.
    It will help you lose weight and importantly it will help you keep lean muscle while you lose weight.

If exercise is to hard to contemplate try to do something which you find enjoyable but which gets you active...even if it's only walk.
    Best of luck.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I feel awesome in just 8 short weeks. Im losing weight pretty fast and feel great overall.

but the last 3 weeks or so Ive started some small circuit training things. Im using dumbbells ranging from 3 to 10 lbs.

....................and I feel better than EVER. I have more energy, I want to do things, to move more. I just seem to enjoy everything more than just 2 months ago.

I can no longer imagine why you wouldnt want to do exercise. The sense or feeling of accomplishment afterwards is beyond words
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    why DON'T you want to exercise? Is there some reason besides you don't want to?

Like was stated, you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, but you are also going to lose a LOT of lean body mass. The exercise will actually help you lose weight easier by maintaining your LBM so you burn more calories even when you are sitting around. Plus, it builds good habits and will make you feel better. The benefits of exercise are pretty much endless.

The human body was never meant to be a lazy as it is in today's world. Your body will literally function better the more active you are.

^^^This^^^

IF you see someone who's lost 111 lbs giving you advice, I'd listen to him!!! :smile: OF course, I'd listen to smaller people who never gained weight as well!!! :wink: They're both doing something right!!!
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I have heard (not actually read the studies) that studies show that those who exercise as a part of a weightloss program are more likely to maintain the weightloss. In addition, for me, when I have killed myself exercising on a given day, I am much less likely to overeat because I don't want to feel like my effort was wasted.

Tena
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    you should exercise, it's good for you, and just increase it as u go
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

I NEVER understand why you would want to do this?

I'm just gonna keep it real - stop being lazy and take care of yourself! Taking care of yourself includes eating right and physical activity.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why you think waiting til after is better? I'm of the mindset that exercise is a necessity for everyone, especially women. What motivates your desire to wait? Your size? shyness?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No

For optimal health? Yes

This is the best answer.

I've lost 30-40lbs twice and once was strictly through a change in diet, one was upkeeping with bodyweight excercises.

When I simply changed what I ate, 6 months in, I could hardly do push/pullups. It sucked, I was weak. I'd say half the 'weight' lost was fat.

When I kept up with cardio and strength days, I could do 10 or 12 pullups come mid-summer, and weighed the same I did (200ish) when I solely changed my diet.

I'd rather be more functional at a healthy weight, then simply just skinny.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No

For optimal health? Yes

</thread>
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Start now, and you'll drop the weight faster, and build your stamina!