Am i over exercising ???

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    On the eating its the same thing. If you feel fine and are strong eat the amount that makes you feel fine.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

You can always gradually notch up or down your calories.

Don't let anyone tell you to eat more or less (except your doctor) YOU GET TO DECIDE. YOU OWN IT. Not any of us.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate, you look like you need to eat more. You are netting less than 1000 cals on many days. That is not healthy to maintain for a girl your age and size.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you are not injuring yourself I'd say no!!!:happy:
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    Well I wouldn't say you are over-exercising, but you are undereating. Your body would prefer to have around 2,500 calories a day with all that activity.

The reason you're not "starving" is because your body knows how to survive, and your hormones adjust (and I don't mean the sex hormones :laugh: I mean the ones running all your biology).

You may want to consider gradually increasing your calories. Otherwise all this undereating will really backfire as you get into your 20s and 30s.

I know restaurant work is tough, can you maybe have one giant meal after your shift?

hmmm maybe if i increased my calories by 50 a day, did that for a week then added another 50 my appetite wuld increase. ill try that. im writing all ur advice down everyone as something to take to my doctor and hopefully nutritionalist if i can get a refferal so its all very helpful xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    Yes.
    And by the looks of your diary, you're also starving yourself.

im not doing it on purpouse. im trying to get a bit of advice so i have some ideas to tell my doctor and stuff and see how i could do better, i didnt come here so people could me mean to me :(
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    On the eating its the same thing. If you feel fine and are strong eat the amount that makes you feel fine.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

You can always gradually notch up or down your calories.

Don't let anyone tell you to eat more or less (except your doctor) YOU GET TO DECIDE. YOU OWN IT. Not any of us.

i love this !!!! i do own my body and im gonna do the best for it. ive seen alot of ideas here to do so im writing all them down and taking them to the doctor ti get advice and see how beneficial they will all be. im starting to think maybe my exercise level is fine but i need to eat more. someones pointed out im not hungry even tho my calorie intake is low cos my body has just got used too it. maybe i might try gradually increasing my calorie intake xx
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Did you even read this thread at ALL? The OP is 5'11 and 138lbs already on the lower side of healthy. She eats close to 1000 calories a day and exercises three hours a day. What you posted is Completly irrelevant.

I'd also like to see your proof about starvation mode happening only for those people under thematic amount of body fat. I keep seeing it repeated and it's by bunk.

And I just saw the OPs response to you. Congrats on encouraging someone deeper into destructive behavior!

OP if you have three hours daily to exercise you have time to eat more. Please see your doctor ASAP because you could be doing long term harm to your body.
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options

Did you even read this thread at ALL? The OP is 5'11 and 138lbs already on the lower side of healthy. She eats close to 1000 calories a day and exercises three hours a day. What you posted is Completly irrelevant.

I'd also like to see your proof about starvation mode happening only for those people under thematic amount of body fat. I keep seeing it repeated and it's by bunk.

And I just saw the OPs response to you. Congrats on encouraging someone deeper into destructive behavior!

OP if you have three hours daily to exercise you have time to eat more. Please see your doctor ASAP because you could be doing long term harm to your body.

i have a doctors appointment and hopefully he will refer me to a nutritionalist or sumink. i didnt know this was bad advice. i thought it was okay. i mean i feel fine, so what im doing cant be that bad just eat a few more calories. maybe. and it not i dont have the time, exept when im working when i really dont. its that i really just dont find food interesting. like i dont even wanna eat cos it all taste like the same.
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    and i wouldnt call it destructive behaviour, im not destroying myself. just probably not being as healthy as i could ? x
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Please talk to your doctor soon. With the combination of over exercising and under eating you are showing many of the signs of an eating disorder. You are already on the low end of the BMI scale and do not need to loose any more weight. The long term consequences of ED are severe! Bone loss, muscle loss, heart kidney, liver and brain damage are all real and can be deadly.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eating-disorders/DS00294

http://www.helpguide.org/topics/eating_disorders.htm
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile, it stated that your goal weight is 110 pounds. At 5 ft 11, that goal should also be discussed with your doctor: it would leave you deep into the "underweight" category. I noticed that your exercise is staggered throughout your day. As exercise naturally suppresses your appetite during and for a bit after your workout, this could be the reason that you don't feel hungry. If we could always trust our bodies completely to let us know if we are hungry, there wouldn't be so many overweight (or underweight) people. Our bodies are not always to perfect guide.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    and i wouldnt call it destructive behaviour, im not destroying myself. just probably not being as healthy as i could ? x

Exercising three hours a day and eating less than the minimum amount of calories recommended for women (and since you're so tall you should be eating more. Your BMR, what you would eat if you're in a coma, is 1504. That is the abustle minimum you should be eating before exercise. Since you don't need to lose weight and are exercising so you should be eating at least 2053)

Since someone else has said it you are displaying a lot of signs pointing to an eating disorder. When you're eating so little and are not hungry that is a sign something is wrong as your body is not giving you the signs it should be.

I don't know if you're suffering from an eating disorder but you definitely need to talk to your doctor.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Honestly hon - I would call eating disorder. Harsh but true. You are not eating anywhere near the amount of calories your body would need to survive if you were in a coma (around 1500), let alone for the amount of exercise you do. There is nothing wrong with exercise if you eat enough. Your diary really worries me.

Read this thread about the amount of cals you need - I hope it will give you some idea of how far off you are. As with all advice it won't work with everyone (such is life) but surely you can see that your calorific intake is so below what you need to survive.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12.

You may feel fine now but down the road this is gonna cause serious issues - I can't believe you are actually having periods at the moment, or getting enough vits and minerals to live a long and healthy life. I'm sure my post seems very harsh and horrible, but it is really meant with your best interest at heart.

If you do speak to your Dr please be honest about your food and exercise. This is really not healthy.

Also:

PLEASE please ignore californiagirl2012 - she gives the same comments on everyone's post as she is plugging a fitness/diet site - check her past posts.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    truthfully i think if your eating enough you should be OK.

i have an odd relationship with food. one minute food is my best friend one minute i cant bear to eat anything. its hard to explain but i just love exercise. if u look at my food diary some days there like nothing some days theres loads but i never make my calories goal of 1200 infact i never go above 1000. and like i know thats probably not enough but i feel like ive eaten loads and im full and i couldnt possibly eat anymore or id definately gain weight. and what i eat is healthy. so i think its okay.

Your eating too little. You mentioned being light-headed when standing up.. I can stand up pretty damn fast and I never get light headed. I'm eating 1350 calories a day. Eating under 1200 is absolutely NOT okay and healthy. I agree with Newme1313, seek professional help for an eating disorder. It's not a bad thing, everyone needs help with something here and there. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    im 5 foot 11 and i weigh 138llb. ish.

dont worry about me im okay, but i have booked an appointment with my doctor so see if i could speak to a nutritionalist as i find it difficult to eat enough calories.

well my body doesnt feel tired i drink lots of water i dont get headaches or nausea sometimes i get a light headed feeling if i get up too quickly and i have to put my head between my legs to stop it but i think thats just standing up fast.

so i think my exercise is okay according to you guys, but i will check with the nutritionalist providing i can get a refferal !

I think your weight is fine. I think your exercise/activity level is fine. As far as lightheadedness when you stand too quickly, it's best to see a doctor, but it might just be a lower than average blood pressure reading.

Honestly, you sound a lot like me when I was your age. I ran cross country track, I rode my bike everywhere (to school, to work, to sports practice), I worked a job hostessing at a busy restaurant. I was constantly on the go and I was fine.

When I was older (mid-20's) I DID overtrain - and that was different. I had a rapid resting heart rate, insomnia, lots of muscle pain, headaches, anxiety, injuries that didn't heal, etc.

Talk to your doctor and the dietitian... but my guess is that you're just fine!

Edited to add... it does sound like you're eating too little. I bet the dietitian will tell you that. :smile:
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You not over exercising but by the looks of your food diary, you are under eating badly.

Just talking to a nutritionist will not fix this problem. You need to talk to your PCP and see if they can get you in to talk to someone about your eating habits in combination with your great exercise.

I think (People may disagree) that you are headed down the slope of an eating disorder if not already there.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would say the general rule of thumb here is that you shouldn't be exercising intensely for more than 2 hours a day, whether or not you can handle it or not. Anymore without proper rest can lead to injury and a whole bunch of other problems down the road.
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    i dont think i have an eating disorder guys. im not skinny for a start arent people with eating disorders really thin. ? and i do eat, i just find food boring and uninteresting and most days especially if ive had a bad day i dont want to eat. dunno why. but surely that just means finding more foods i like not that i have a problem.

or maybe it does i dont know. i mean. i really dont enjoy eating atall. infact i avoid it.

you guys are scaring me now
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

if u look at my food diary some days there like nothing some days theres loads but i never make my calories goal of 1200 infact i never go above 1000. and like i know thats probably not enough but i feel like ive eaten loads and im full and i couldnt possibly eat anymore or id definately gain weight. and what i eat is healthy. so i think its okay.

I just saw this part of your reply, and this is concerning! As I said, although I workout a lot, I refuel as well. On a "bad" day I burn about 1,000 cals and on a "good" day around 3,000... however, I also eat between 1,800-2,400 cals a day. You MUST refuel or you will burn yourself out and possibly do some major damage to your body. Your body goes into starvation mode when you don't feed it (which is why you aren't hungry). Your body is going to hold on to everything because you aren't giving it enough fuel. Please, do consider eating more if you're going to continue to workout at these levels. You will not gain weight if you are burning as many calories as you have indicated. You may experience a temporary gain because you've not been eating much, but it will come off. In the long run, you will be better off to give yourself more. Try eating some smaller meals more frequently... it may help bring your metabolism up again.

well small frequent meals are hard as i am so busy and always working in a busy restaurant. can you explain a but more about the starvation mode making me never hungry ? as im pretty sure im not in starvation mode but i do have a very small appetite, like there is not time that food is ever really appealing or i actually think, wow im hungry i just eat because i know i need to do it to live kinda thing all food tastes the same. like cardbord haha

I go to school 40 hours a week plus work 20 hours a week, I still find the time. Get a diary, figure out what days you have off work, prepare meals for the upcoming week. It is illegal to not get a meal break (30 minutes) if working more than 5 hours.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i dont think i have an eating disorder guys. im not skinny for a start arent people with eating disorders really thin. ? and i do eat, i just find food boring and uninteresting and most days especially if ive had a bad day i dont want to eat. dunno why. but surely that just means finding more foods i like not that i have a problem.

or maybe it does i dont know. i mean. i really dont enjoy eating atall. infact i avoid it.

you guys are scaring me now

Print this out and take it to the doctor. It will alarm him and you will get the help you need.

The height you are the goal weight you are trying to achieve are not healthy. That coupled with this above....you need to see your PCP soon.