fed up off reading that cardio isn't beneficial

Options

Replies

• LiftHuff
    Options
    Meh. Yes, some people are more inclined to be low bf%. However, the fact remains that fat burns during a caloric deficit, and lifting is the best way to maintain LBM while eating at a deficit. Careful, smart eating coupled with a sensible lifting program is all one NEEDS to get shredded. The key is having the willpower to manage your appetite in balance with your programming.

Does cardio help? Well, it burns a lot of calories quickly, so it helps increase your chances of having a TDEE that's higher than your intake. But the deficit, not the cardio, burns the fat.
  • GemmaMcIntosh
    Options
    I lost 3 inches from my waist in 6 weeks because of the treadmill at the gym - and my fitness is improving which is fantastic. The scales may not be going down as fast as I'd like but the measurements sure are so I am ALL FOR CARDIO!! :)
  • GemmaMcIntosh
    Options
    Oh, in saying that (above) - I also love strength training too, to get that nice muscle definition. What's the point of having skinny arms if they're just flat with no nice shape? Honestly I'm really not that clued up but I think a bit of everything is the best. Cardio for health and fitness and strength for muscles and toning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    when I first starting working out I did a lot of cardio mixed in with weight training. When I wanted to put on more muscle I cut the cardio out and went to lifting heavy. I still like to mix in a few 20 minute HIIT sprint intervals....but I do not do long distance running or more than 25 minutes of cardio two times a week...
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cardio is beneficial. If it wasn't, ancient man would have died when the sabre tooth tigers chased them. Ha! Seriously though, just like a well balanced diet is essential to good health, so is a well balanced exercise program. Of course cardio is beneficial. It builds a strong cardio-vascular system but as someone who is a runner and trains for long distance races I can tell you that cross training (weights etc.) is essential. Everything in moderation.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't see too many people saying that it's not beneficial. I see a LOT of people, with whom I agree, saying that lifting weights is a much more beneficial way to look and feel better, and that cardio is not *necessary.*

Personally, I do cardio because I want to be physically fit in as many ways as possible... but I eat back my exercise calories, so it's really only allowing me to eat more, rather than contributing to a larger deficit.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree.... I have nothing against this new muscular, lean anti 'skinny fat' trend, but it just isn't for me. I like the good old fashioned soft look, I like a little fat! 0% fat is not what I am aiming for, and while I see that weight training is probably a quicker option for weight loss, I will stick with my cardio for now.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cardio is beneficial. If it wasn't, ancient man would have died when the sabre tooth tigers chased them. Ha! Seriously though, just like a well balanced diet is essential to good health, so is a well balanced exercise program. Of course cardio is beneficial. It builds a strong cardio-vascular system but as someone who is a runner and trains for long distance races I can tell you that cross training (weights etc.) is essential. Everything in moderation.
    naah ancient man couldn't out run them he just pulled a "Brockway" and beat them with their own kind or with the heavy boulder he was busy doing caveman presses with.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Balance is the key. Personally, I think it's important to include a variety of cardio workouts, strength training, and some stretching and balance work too. Why put your eggs all in one basket? Each one has numerous benefits and is beneficial to good overall health!:flowerforyou:
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    Well, you clearly know more than any of us, so who are we to argue?

The OP didn't imply that she knew more than anyone, she was simply sharing her point of view. Your snark is uncalled for and petty.

Personally I've been very successful with cardio in the past, and I enjoy doing it. I lost 40 pounds using the treadmill and the elliptical alone a few years back - of course, I was also dieting. There's no denying cardio has its benefits, though clearly lifting has its place. I'm looking forward to start lifting next month, but I'll continue to use the elliptical. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I agree.... I have nothing against this new muscular, lean anti 'skinny fat' trend, but it just isn't for me. I like the good old fashioned soft look, I like a little fat! 0% fat is not what I am aiming for, and while I see that weight training is probably a quicker option for weight loss, I will stick with my cardio for now.
    It's interesting for you to have that perspective when the woman in your ticker demonstrates a physique obtained by strength training.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I sure hope that cardio is not a waste of time as that is 80% of my work out at the gym.

I don't want to do too much strength training because I feel I have the muscle mass and that I just need to strip body fat to reveal it =/
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    Cardio is vital to getting ripped. You can be street lean or stage lean. There is a big difference. Very few people can get away with no cardio. Those few people don't visit this board.

So true!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I sure hope that cardio is not a waste of time as that is 80% of my work out at the gym.

I don't want to do too much strength training because I feel I have the muscle mass and that I just need to strip body fat to reveal it =/

The strength training is what is going to help you strip the fat.. not the cardio.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options

The strength training is what is going to help you strip the fat.. not the cardio.

oh man that sucks.... so these last 4 days have been a total waste of time lol I've been to the gym 4 times this week doing mostly cardio >.<
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my prozac. Strength training is what's reshaping my body and making me run fast. They're both beneficial for overall fitness, but cardio doesn't reshape your body.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Like a bunch of politicians on here everyone pushing an agenda
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm of the mind it works. A couple of years ago my doctor put on a diet and I started walking for an hour or two 5 days a week. I dropped around 60lbs just doing that and nothing else as far as exercise. Granted I gained most of it back after the diet made me borderline anemic from an iron deficiency and I had to gorge on iron-rich foods for a while, but it still worked. Hell I lost my first 17lbs here doing just cardio outside of a gym and then joined the Y when I wanted more variety.
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    I've been reading quite a few posts on here recently regarding cardio and how it isn't actually effective towards weight loss.

I'm sorry but i think this is really discouraging; all exercise is good exercise.

There is no hidden secret towards losing weight, cut down on your calories, eat healthy and exercise; even if your execrise consists of just walking for half an hour a few times a week, it is still going to make a difference.

I joined MFP in May this year and so far i have lost 17lbs, at first i was very flakey with my gym schedule and would only go once or twice a week and not putting my full effort in, in the last month or so i make sure i go 3/4 times a week and i do 45mins of cardio and 15 mins of weight training 3/4 times a week and i'm losing weight.

If you're at your goal weight and want to tone up then yes, cardio probably isn't that beneficial, but for all other aspects i think it should be encouraged, not only for weight loss but for your fitness and general wellbeing.

Rant over! :)