Protein powder

Options
I have been browsing through peoples diaries for some ideas and see that alot of people incorporate protein powder into their mealplans. What does it actually do for you??? Does it suppress hunger, speed metabolism?? What brands taste the best and do you only make shakes with them, or can you mix them into other foods. Looking forward to your info and suggestions.

Replies

• sherric1966
    Options
    Protein powder does fill you and keeps you full longer. You can make shakes, mix them in yoguart, soups. They all taste different and everyone has a preference, so usually is a matter of trying a few.
  • KywongRP
    Options
    Be aware that many protein powders are also high calorie!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I have been having protein shakes for the last two weeks or so.

I have one for breakfast, one mid morning, one for lunch, one mid afternoon and then a normal dinner at night time.

It is controlling my cravings and hunger so well :] I mix it with almond milk. My protein shake (Max's Supershred) contains all sorts of things in it... some stuff which people would deem 'unhealthy' but it is also full of vitamins!

but hey it works for me and tastes great. :)
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    what kind of protein powders are there? I've seen soy and whey (which is dairy so i couldn't eat it). Are there other kinds?
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Lets see your hair, muscles, nails, etc... all made from protein. I use protein powder for muscle building purposes as its easier to hit my high protein macro mark with it.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Oh and I do put in some other foods here and there through out the day - nuts, fruit, yoghurt, wholemeal bread, salad, veggies... so it's not entirely protein shakes.
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have time to eat breakfast, so I drink a protein shake on the way to work.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in my morning smoothies. It works well as a breakfast for me and does a couple of other things. I tend to heal faster when I have worked out pretty hard the day before. My muscles just don't ache as much. It also keeps me from eating the rugs, paper and chair while at work until lunch :) I found that if I don't have some kind of protein I am ravenously hungry and will eat all of the bad stuff for me.