Rules about CHEAT meals!

Options

Replies

• Jade021996
    Options
    Yeah, i have my cheat day once in a week. i eat anything i want- even if it's two cake slices or more. i gain a pound that day- i lose 3 the next days. :)
  • toedoe2
    Options
    yes! even Dr.oz says everybody should have a faturday! It tricks the body and burns more calories when you go back to counting but keep in mind once a week and not going too crazy
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks! I've been wondering about free meals/days since I started a few weeks ago. It's been *easy* to stay on plan for the 2 weeks, but i've thought about what happens when i just NEED a plate of enchiladas! :-) I appreciate your post!

You're welcome! For me, it's either Papa Gino's or Taco Bell.
  • NateMWarn
    Options

But to each his own I guess. Rant over.

Ba-dum-ching!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have one meal every weekend in which we eat whatever we want. It hasn't hurt us ... he's lost 100 lbs. as of today and I've lost 81. We think of it as an indulgence meal instead of a cheat meal. We do limit it to one meal, though, instead of an entire day. :smile:

I like this!

Thanks!!! :)
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Every once in a while it isn't bad! It can even be good for you =) Do NOT turn it into a cheat 'week'.. =p I had a 'slack off' week.. and it took me a month to get back on track O.o
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    To me this is a healthy lifestyle - I don't believe in "cheat" days. I incorporate all the foods I love and refuse to give up into my eating plan - I just eat them less frequently and in smaller portions.

Celebrations happen, holidays happen, you just eat and move on.

Yes, going hog wild and eating anything and everything you want (that is what got you here) will have an effect - how much depends on what you put in your mouth.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    theres no cheat meals! what is it with people wanting to do cheat meals... its not that hard to stop eating crap if your serious about losing the weight! get with the program pull your finger and eat properly otherwise you'll post next "why am i not losing weight"
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost a few pounds having a couple cheat meals a week... Normally have them on The weekend and sometimes on the same day.. I have only a couple rules.... Has to be out to eat, can have whatever I want off the menu, everything has to be consumed there, no food comes home. That is pretty much it....... Best of Luck...
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself! I have a "cheat meal" once every weekend.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    theres no cheat meals! what is it with people wanting to do cheat meals... its not that hard to stop eating crap if your serious about losing the weight! get with the program pull your finger and eat properly otherwise you'll post next "why am i not losing weight"

Oh there is cheat meals, indulge meals, refeed meals, whatever you want to call them.... There is no reason to cut out all the foods you once enjoyed. This is a lifestyle, not a diet and sometimes you need to splurge and have some pizza, ice cream, wings, and whatnot... I think I am pretty serious about losing weight but that doesn't mean I am going to give up some of the foods I enjoy..... :drinker:
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the whole calorie counting stuff, but here's what I think... I like to call them treat meals! I'm working hard to stay within my numbers, so why not have a treat once in a while. I do go walking or some other physical activity to balance out the treat. I also try to make the treat fit into my numbers as often as possible. I walked for 3 hours last weekend, and "earned" enough calories to eat Taco Bell which I had been craving for over a week. I stayed within my numbers, and satisfied my craving :)
  • mammacano
    mammacano Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Oh there is cheat meals, indulge meals, refeed meals, whatever you want to call them.... There is no reason to cut out all the foods you once enjoyed. This is a lifestyle, not a diet and sometimes you need to splurge and have some pizza, ice cream, wings, and whatnot... I think I am pretty serious about losing weight but that doesn't mean I am going to give up some of the foods I enjoy..... :drinker:

^^^Well said!!^^^
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I think that a cheat meal should occur once a week... with you consuming allowing yourself to be 120-130% of your calorie goal.

So with my goal being 1380 before exercise, I would hit a target of about 1656 - 1794.

If I continually ate this, I would put on weight... but having it once a week will slap my metabolism in the face and tell it to speed up again after 6 days of relaxation.

I think you should still eat healthy... but maybe add some more calorie dense foods such as avacado or nuts or a nice big chunk of baked salmon! mmmmm or if you are wanting chocolate, go for quite a few peices of 70%+ cocoa dark chocolate.

Food that is still health beneficial to you but tastes amazing!
  • amandae0182
    Options
    I think once you get used to eating healthy you wont want junk so much. My cheat days consisted of ice cream, arby's, chips you name it. Now a cheat day is eating more fruit than normal or one day i had a huge plate of tomatos and the cheat was i got to put salt on them! Eventually it all evens out!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    yeah...don't, LMAO. I have a cheat meal every week but stay within 10% of my daily goals.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have seen several people state that they no longer want "junk" food so they don't have cheat meals anymore.

I would like to take a moment to add that "cheat" meals do not necessarily mean junk food. I doesn't mean you are eating only chips, candy, fast food...whatever.

It's basically that you are eating a meal over your normal calorie intake. Maybe it's just that you have the steak and fries instead of the grilled chicken and veggies. Maybe it's 2 servings instead of 1. Maybe it's just that you take a break from measuring every serving of every item on your plate. Maybe it's using the buttermilk ranch dressing instead of the vinaigrette you use the rest of the week.

So, while Cheat implies that you are not quite sticking to plan, it doesn't mean you're inhaling junk.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    mmmmm cheat meals...........(said in a Homer Simpson voice)

i usually have my cheat day on sunday. i don't go out to eat so i'll have hamburger (yummy 85/15 style) on ciabatta bread and french fries....or some chicken wings, etc

i'm gonna incorporate a few tips from here (no grazing, go for a walk or some kind of lite exercise, etc) because i tend to put in a stack of movies and seriously chill..............and munch......and munch :ohwell:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My BF and I go out to eat once a weekend, usually for Mexican or a Chinese buffet or.. somewhere. Just depends on how we feel. Usually on those days, we call it a "cheat day", but really, we usually do very good / very low calorie days, and just have a big dinner. We both have been miserable from overeating before, I like to think that we learned from those mistakes, and hold back a little now, lol.

He has lost 190 pounds, and my ticker is down at the bottom.
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    I have seen several people state that they no longer want "junk" food so they don't have cheat meals anymore.

I would like to take a moment to add that "cheat" meals do not necessarily mean junk food. I doesn't mean you are eating only chips, candy, fast food...whatever.

It's basically that you are eating a meal over your normal calorie intake. Maybe it's just that you have the steak and fries instead of the grilled chicken and veggies. Maybe it's 2 servings instead of 1. Maybe it's just that you take a break from measuring every serving of every item on your plate. Maybe it's using the buttermilk ranch dressing instead of the vinaigrette you use the rest of the week.

So, while Cheat implies that you are not quite sticking to plan, it doesn't mean you're inhaling junk.

Well said!