fed up off reading that cardio isn't beneficial

Options

Replies

• gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I sure hope that cardio is not a waste of time as that is 80% of my work out at the gym.

I don't want to do too much strength training because I feel I have the muscle mass and that I just need to strip body fat to reveal it =/

The strength training is what is going to help you strip the fat.. not the cardio.

oh man that sucks.... so these last 4 days have been a total waste of time lol I've been to the gym 4 times this week doing mostly cardio >.<

Uh, no. Don't worry! Cardio is not a waste of time. It's best to combine cardio and strength training! Cardio all on it's own will help you lose fat but probably won't do much else to change your body composition. Muscles also burn calories even when you aren't using them and this is why strength training is helpful for weight loss. The more muscle you have and use, the more calories get used up throughout the day even on days where you literally do nothing but lay in bed. Muscles use up energy just existing. In terms of the workout itself you will burn more in the moment with cardio than with strength training though. Cardio is also good for your heart and respiratory system and strength training doesn't do much for you in those areas. So this crap about ditching cardio entirely? It's silly. For overall health, and for straight up vanity, you can't go wrong with a bit of both.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so that I can get better at cardio.

Many of the things I enjoy are essentially cardio - snowboarding, hiking, beating people up. It's a lot more fun to be able to do these things without getting winded.

That being said, I do a lot of circuit training type work to increase my endurance.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think different exercise produces different benefits. I'm of the party where I think cardio is great for me. The only time I really see a difference in myself is when I'm hitting cardio long and hard (snicker). I happen to know that HIIT is probably the most effective where as my endurance is redundant and can raise cortisol levels. Regardless, what ever makes me fit, acts as stress relief, and I stick to it is what is most beneficial to me.

I feel like a lot of people who don't see weight loss while doing cardio can dismiss it as ineffective, but other factors also must be taken into account- such as calories consumed. I might suggest that these people are eating too few calories.

I strength train to enable my body to run distance without injury. I run because it's wonderful/horrible. I will never believe that cardio isn't beneficial. I know I can hike for hours without fatigue, run the trails with exhilaration for 2 hours, and that sure as hel* doesn't come from strength training.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm doing metabolic training. Basically it's full-body resistance training that taxes your oxygen demand so you still get a cardio benefit. I've done running, martial arts, "traditional" anaerobic weightlifting, cycling, etc. and nothing compares, IMO. For some food for thought, here's a link comparing a marathoner to a sprinter. I know who I'd rather look like:

http://www.readytotransform.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/endurance-vs-sprinter-male.jpg

For more on metabolic resistance training, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpa5hz6v7_8
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP 100%

For some people, getting off the couch and going for a walk is exercise. Some people need to be more sympathetic to others who have a hard time with getting fit.

I
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That is crazy! I was always taught that both cardio and strength training is important for weight loss, more so cardio.

Any exercise is good. I saw someone lose tons of weight from yoga alone. And some people think yoga is a joke too.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That is crazy! I was always taught that both cardio and strength training is important for weight loss, more so cardio.

Any exercise is good. I saw someone lose tons of weight from yoga alone. And some people think yoga is a joke too.

Here's the thing though- that person lost weight from a CALORIE DEFICIT while practicing yoga- they didn't lose weight from yoga. Same is true for all exercise. Calorie deficit= weight loss.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of cardio and calisthenics (cuz I can't afford monthly gym pass) and both help a lot for me. I will never give up the cardio and I probably won't give up calisthenics either. Their a good combo at least for me. My cousin is a body builder not sure if I could ever pull off what he does. It's intimidating to me.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i dont lift heavy because i dont want big bulky muscles.

Lifting heavy won't give you bulky muscles. For most women to get bulky muscles, they have to take testosterone supplements.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    im a beginner so i do mostly cardio. every day for at least 30 minutes. I just started to incorporate strength training. i dont lift heavy because i dont want big bulky muscles. I want to tone the muscles i do have and use those muscles to "eat away" at the fat surrounding them... i can say that i started this MFP in may and before may i did VERY little exercise. so no one can say cardio doesnt help with weight loss. im down and i love t...

Good for you for lifting! And getting your cardio on.

HOWEVER, you will not bulk by lifting heavy weights. Women do NOT get bulky from lifting, at least not without testosterone/steroid injections.

It makes me sad that the myth lives on and on. I've been lifting heavy for eight months now and am actually a little smaller than I was, not bulky at all, even though I haven't actually lost much weight.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only have about 3 hours a week to workout. Lifting heavy weights is a better use of that time. Lifting 3 days a week has produced better results than 6 days a week of cardio. Cardio has benefit too and I wish I had more time for it but I don't.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never read anyone say cardio isn't beneficial. But I have read that it isn't necessary for weightloss. And it's true. Cardio is beneficial for your health but as long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Its important to get both weight training and cardio in a weight loss routine. I would never skimp on cardio for a couple reasons. 1. I like my eating my exercise calories and I don't count calories burned from weight loss. 2. Cardio is weight lifting for your heart. It is very important for cardiovascular health.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I sure hope that cardio is not a waste of time as that is 80% of my work out at the gym.

I don't want to do too much strength training because I feel I have the muscle mass and that I just need to strip body fat to reveal it =/

The strength training is what is going to help you strip the fat.. not the cardio.

And actually... no... the strength training by itself doesn't strip fat. Neither does the cardio. You get rid of the fat by being in a calorie deficit, as so many have said.

You can create the deficit by diet alone, by diet + cardio, by diet + strength training, and so on, but you need that calorie deficit or the fat isn't going anywhere.
  • holtzgirl
    Options
    That's why I do cardio!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to do a combo. I have lost most of my weight (50+ pounds) through cardio, but I also do strength based work.

I am very small, so my BMR is 1240. I do not want to be stuck eating at 1240 for the rest of my life, so I need cardio so I can eat a decent amount! I have definitely built up strength while losing weight and with a lot of cardio.

A lot of the lifters here think cardio is boring. It is boring if you do it on a treadmill. I run 30+ miles a week, but I do it all outdoors. I love it, I listen to music, run and talk to a friend, look at the sights, it is good for your mental health. I think lifting heavy stuff is boring.

Anyway, my uneducated view is that a mix is best.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I use cardio to help build my endurance. When I started this thing back in July, I could do 1/4 mile on the treadmill at 2 mph and I was wiped at the end of it, wiped out at just 1/4 mile. Now...just a little over a month later, I find that just sad. I usually do about 3 to 3.5 mph (short legs so 4 is more jogging than walking to me) at anywhere from 1% to 4% incline for about 50 ish minutes almost everyday. I have been slowly introducing running into my walks...not quite C25K yet, but in a few months I'll be working harder at running longer. I have my mind set on doing The Warrior Dash in May and I don't plan to walk the whole way through.

Now, having said all that, I've recently started adding some heavy lifting into my routines. As much as I love the idea of muscle burning fat, I like the idea of one day being big and cut even better so I figure I might as well start now.

I have been fat my whole life. This is my first real journey towards getting fit. Never wanted or tried fad diets or pills, and never really seriously considered getting in shape until now. So, I figure lifting and walking and biking, etc. and calorie deficit are all the tools I have to get into shape so I'm going to use them all. I actually like how I feel at the end of a walk and lifting.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

And actually... no... the strength training by itself doesn't strip fat. Neither does the cardio. You get rid of the fat by being in a calorie deficit, as so many have said.

You can create the deficit by diet alone, by diet + cardio, by diet + strength training, and so on, but you need that calorie deficit or the fat isn't going anywhere.

Actually... Yes. She's talking about losing body fat... not actual fat fat.

While the calorie deficit part is true, strength training helps you retain lean muscle, so most of the weight lost is body fat.

Cardio only or diet only on the other hand, lose both muscle and fat.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cardio is vital to getting ripped. You can be street lean or stage lean. There is a big difference. Very few people can get away with no cardio. Those few people don't visit this board.

This is simply silly. Google Martin Berkhan. He lives at ~5% bf and does little other than heavy compound lifts. Getting ripped is all in the kitchen. Sure, you can do cardio to create a larger caloric deficit, but the deficit is creating the fat loss, not the cardio specifically.
    I know who he is.

I guess you're one of the people who can't read. I have researched plenty of his articles. I spoke with a couple of his past clients. EVERY single one did some form of cardio during a cutting cycle.

So, please try again.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Cardio is vital to getting ripped. You can be street lean or stage lean. There is a big difference. Very few people can get away with no cardio. Those few people don't visit this board.

This is simply silly. Google Martin Berkhan. He lives at ~5% bf and does little other than heavy compound lifts. Getting ripped is all in the kitchen. Sure, you can do cardio to create a larger caloric deficit, but the deficit is creating the fat loss, not the cardio specifically.
    I know who he is.

I guess you're one of the people who can't read. I have researched plenty of his articles. I spoke with a couple of his past clients. EVERY single one did some form of cardio during a cutting cycle.

So, please try again.

It's not only his clients who incorporate cardio but he does as well (moderate intensity stuff like Muay Thai and Mountain Biking - I'm beginning to warm to this guy) on his recovery days:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131542323&p=639771283&highlight=ampk#post639771283

He suggests cutting out or limiting moderate to high intensity cardio (as opposed to LISS) if your primary goal is leaning out however which is understandable if you are doing 3 heavy weights sessions per week.