Dorm room recipes

Options
jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
Hey guys--
I am getting so tired of boring old cereal, oatmeal, etc for snacks. I have protein powder and shakes are a nice way to break things up but need some good ideas for dorm room recipes. This means cheap, only requires a microwave/toaster or very very short time in oven, is quick, tasty, and did I mention cheap (or something I can smuggle from dining hall). I can't process animal fats (butter, creams, etc) so that limits things a bit. Ready, set, and bring on the recipes.

Replies

• profr
    profr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I once cooked an entire artichoke in a hot pot in my dorm room. Don't recommend that, though. The tea tasted a little odd afterward. But you could cook an artichoke (in a bowl with water) in the microwave. I would cut the globe in half first. Dip leaves in a tiny bit of mayo or salad dressing -- low calorie varieties if you like. The nice thing about an artichoke is that it takes a long time to eat.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but making a do-it-yourself Egg McMuffin in the microwave is easy, cheap, and you can control calories better by choosing a healthier version of English Muffin (whole wheat, etc.) Google for the recipe, as there are several ways to do it (mix up the egg, or just crack it on top). My husband loves them!
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I went out and bought myself the biggest boneless/skinless chicken breast I could find and cooked the whole thing up in one go in a frying pan with a dash of olive oil and some chicken-friendly spices. All in all cost me about $16 and is going to last me a long time!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Can you use a small crock pot in your dorm?
    If so, I'd use it and scan the recipes for crock pots and reduce the recipe.
    String cheese(is cheese ok??), veggie sticks(buy celery and carrots and chop yourself to save $). Do you have a Trader Joes you can get to? They have TONS of snacks that are great for you and are reasonably priced.