Eating 1+g/lb Body Mass is a Myth

Options
2»

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Don't really have the time to commit to watching 1.5 hours on protein - any way you can just provide a quick summary? Is the OP right or not?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I always heard it was 1 gram per lean mass.

But I still eat a butt load of it cause it's delicious.

^^^^This. When I ate less protein, I didn't see a difference in my body but when I upped it to 1g per lbm...that's when real progress was made.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    .82g/lb is the max. This is usually reserved for olympic athletes who are training hard. Certain university studies have shown that olympic athletes gained no benefit consuming over .82-.84g/lb of body weight. So using .82g/lb is still higher than the majority of people need, regardless of physical activity.

Unless you're training like an olympian, save yourself the money and get the calories you need from somewhere cheaper.
    the numbers were pulled from people of all types, not just olympians.

to the OP, there is a benefit from eating 1g-lbs. less fat and carbs consumed.

The study about olympic athletes was a separate study, not the one supplied by the OP. The one I was referring to was only conducted with olympic athletes. It was only in reference to added muscle mass. After .84g/lb, no one saw increased muscle gain. It didn't mention anything about other effects of increased protein intake.

Its worth mentioning that they were all natural athletes too. There were no steroids or growth hormones involved with the subjects. Using steroidal supplements would allow the body to utilize more protein for sure.

Basically, the more you stress your body, the more protein you will use in muscle synthesis. That's not arguable. But there is still a limit to what your body can achieve. The results are different from person to person, but 1g/lb is recommended by BODYBUILDERS. I stress that because the vast majority of people, especially on MFP, are not BODYBUILDERS. And you're not a bodybuilder until you've been lifting that intensely for about 2 years.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass if you're overweight. 1g per lb if you average or lean. End of thread.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    /open thread

What? 3 guys talking about protein, what makes them so right? (i seen this before)

i already ended the thread.
  • Kairunz
    Options
    My understanding is that the average person should eat between 45 - 65 % as healthy low gi non processed carbs. If you reduce your carb intake too much your body will break down lean muscle mass for energy purposes. I have seen body builders on the 80/10/10 diet. Everyone is different however so you just can't make blanket statements.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    To add balance to your post...

http://fitnessinventor.com/articles/2503-response-to-crazy-high-protein-diet-claims-dr-dan-reardon

As he says, do you really think a 8 stone 5' jockey has the same requirements as a 6' 4" 240-250lb football/rugby player?

As for the OP, utterly disagree. Increased my protein up to 550g a day last bulk from around 350g and got to my heaviest leanest stage weight of 235lb. You can't make blanket statements...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    • Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session. The magnitude of this effect is unclear.

Isn't this actually the wrong way round?

I was under the impression amino acid sensitivity worsened with age so you would need slightly more protein to have the same effect.

What? 3 guys talking about protein, what makes them so right? (i seen this before)

Well all of their statements are backed up by research, will usually helps.

If you are even mildly interest in nutrition and fitness then it would be in your benefit to be familiar with the work of alan aragon and eric helms.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    One thing I always see on these 'studies' and 'pieces' refuting protein requirements etc - I've never seen a jacked guy claiming this kinda hyperbole. Ever. Only ever people doing stuff like leangains etc, all at 12-13 stone which is frankly achievable without any fasting, fancy dieting methods.