Children Lifting Weights?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have him start until he's obviously started puberty.
    But it's safe to have him lifting at that young, but he'll be in the best environment to gain muscle while about 15-21 years old.
    The only way he's going to damage his growth plates is if he ends up breaking a bone on the growth plate while lifting, and that's very rare.

Supervision (making sure he uses very good form), making sure he warms up by doing warmup sets, and uses higher reps (NO 1 rep maxes). Also make sure he uses free weights and not machines since force you into fixed unnatural movement patterns.
    Lifting weights actually increases the amount of Growth Hormone produced by the body and some people believe it can cause increases in height because of increases bone mineralization (stronger bones).

Here are some injury rates of sports.

Sports Injury Rates (Hamill 1994) Sport
    Injuries (per 100 hours)

Soccer (school age) 6.20
    UK Rugby 1.92
    USA Basketball 0.03
    UK Cross Country 0.37
    Squash 0.10
    US Football 0.10
    Badminton 0.05
    USA Gymnastics 0.044
    USA Powerlifting 0.0027
    USA Volleyball 0.0013
    USA Tennis 0.001
    Weight Training 0.0035 (85,733 hrs)
    Weightlifting 0.0017 (168,551 hrs)

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program is actually great for kids. The only problem would be teaching him correct form, which is why it would be a good idea to omit the Power Clean from the program and maybe add in some barbell rows, chinups, and dips.

edit: Look at any high school football team. Plenty of those kids are very tall and still manage to grow tall despite lifting weights all the time.

Yes, but they are 14 or older :P So mid-puberty/post-puberty (and generally the ones on the field hit puberty sooner, hence their physiques).
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a pre-teen son (he's in the 5th grade) who is diabetic and wants to lift weights. It's all he talks about...I guess my success with lifting has peaked his interest. As far as his diabetes goes, he would have to check his blood sugar after a workout and have an extra snack.

But putting that fact aside for the moment, how young is too young to start lifting weights? I've heard a lot of different things about what age kids should start. He's going to see his doctor in 3 weeks so I plan to ask him but I wondered if anyone here had pre-teen or teenage kids that lifted weights. For reference, he's ~ 4'9" and 80 lbs. He's kind of clumsy, all arms and legs so I would think that the weight lifting would help with that and his overall self-confidence too. TIA.

My local YMCA has a program aimed at teens and tweens called "iron teens" where they teach them proper lifting techniques, etc before they are allowed to go in the weight area by themselves. They also have a bunch of other programs aimed at healthy kids, such as youth conditioning, the TeenLift Club (11-17yo), and even a Zumba class aimed at 4-10yo! Maybe you could find programs like that for your son after you get cleared by his doctor....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All of the national professional organizations that are involved in this topic-- American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Academy of Pediatricians--have published position papers stating that resistance exercise can be both safe and effective for children.

The concerns about growth-plate fractures have been shown to be greatly overstated.

While younger children are not going to increase muscle mass, they can significantly increase strength.

There are several guidelines for children lifting weights:

1. Avoid maximal lifts, esp heavy overhead lifts--this is the one area that does carry a higher risk of injury.

2. Make sure the child is motivated and interested. Problems occur when children become fatigued or bored.

3. Emphasis should be on learning proper form--lifting sessions must be supervised by knowledgeable results.

4. Keep in mind that most children want to PLAY, they don't want to "exercise". Watching adults lift weights, it sometimes SEEMS like play until they actually start to do it and realize it takes work and discipline. Then, all of sudden, it's not so much furn anymore.

5. Related to #4: While physically, younger children CAN lift safely and effectively, my experience has been that few of them actually WANT to, once they have tried it for real. Our center made a concerted effort to attract younger children (and their families) by purchasing some equipment that was supposedly "child sized" and setting up a number of programs and classes. It has been a colossal flop and waste of money. I had kids come for circuit classes--they came 2 or 3 times, with their parents pushing them, and then disappeared. We had some marginal success with some of the other programs that were more "game" based, but for the most part the kids (7-10) just did not have the motivation, concentration, or physical skill to do even the most basic of exercises.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    There's kids 11+ in my old gym. It's fine so long as they have the attention span to learn to do it properly and use a reasonable amount of weight. I started benching and stuff at 13 in school.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. I will certainly check with his doctor in a few weeks as that's what matters most. It was helpful to hear others opinions and/or experiences.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    I think the best thing i can say about that is go ask a doctors opinion cause for me it is good that in your son case he really needs to do exercises for health reason but we should know the preventive measures that is needed
    http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    All of the national professional organizations that are involved in this topic-- American College of Sports Medicine, National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Academy of Pediatricians--have published position papers stating that resistance exercise can be both safe and effective for children.

The concerns about growth-plate fractures have been shown to be greatly overstated.

While younger children are not going to increase muscle mass, they can significantly increase strength.

1. Avoid maximal lifts, esp heavy overhead lifts--this is the one area that does carry a higher risk of injury.

2. Make sure the child is motivated and interested. Problems occur when children become fatigued or bored.

3. Emphasis should be on learning proper form--lifting sessions must be supervised by knowledgeable results.

4. Keep in mind that most children want to PLAY, they don't want to "exercise". Watching adults lift weights, it sometimes SEEMS like play until they actually start to do it and realize it takes work and discipline. Then, all of sudden, it's not so much furn anymore.

5. Related to #4: While physically, younger children CAN lift safely and effectively, my experience has been that few of them actually WANT to, once they have tried it for real. Our center made a concerted effort to attract younger children (and their families) by purchasing some equipment that was supposedly "child sized" and setting up a number of programs and classes. It has been a colossal flop and waste of money. I had kids come for circuit classes--they came 2 or 3 times, with their parents pushing them, and then disappeared. We had some marginal success with some of the other programs that were more "game" based, but for the most part the kids (7-10) just did not have the motivation, concentration, or physical skill to do even the most basic of exercises.

Thank you for this, it's very useful.

I got my girls (aged 2 and 6) some of those plastic dumbbells that you fill with water, but they play with them empty, so there's no risk of injury. And they're pink too, which is both my girls' favourite colour. (Yes, I've found a use for small pink dumbbells that are too light for adults to do any serious lifting lol) The 6 yr old wants to learn to exercise for real, but I suspect it'll be like you said in no 4 and 5, i.e. she won't have the attention span or the determination for it and just wants to play. I see the fact that they watch me work out with dumbbells and then copy what I do with the toy ones as giving them a very positive message and when they're older I hope that they'll want to learn to lift weights properly. I'm sure before long she'll persuade me to fill the dumbbells with water and teach her some real exercises, and I'll see how it goes with that, following the above advice.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    ...but for the most part the kids (7-10) just did not have the motivation, concentration, or physical skill to do even the most basic of exercises.

This is why I advise against it. I also have a concern with development issues in terms of hormones and what not. I would never let my daughter exercise in a certain manner as she does now as it causes hormonal disruptions and for a young female that hasn't hit puberty yet this could be a problem. It's already an issue amongst young female athletes. And I don't see any benefit to it for young males that haven't hit puberty because they are not yet primed for muscle building. IN the mean time normal sports and body weight strength training and conditioning SHOULD be sufficient.

But the above quote is the MAIN reason. Their attention span, motivation, concentration, and physical skills are still so undeveloped I feel like that type of physical environment is ripe for injury or stress.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    No, at his age you can do permanent damage to the growth plates in his bones. Encourage him to be active and built muscle through sports and other activities. Save the weight training for when he has finished growing.

^^^^ THIS
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, at his age you can do permanent damage to the growth plates in his bones. Encourage him to be active and built muscle through sports and other activities. Save the weight training for when he has finished growing.

^^^^ THIS

When certirfying (CFT), it was advised that we needed to be careful with "pre-teens". They can lift, if they want, but you really needed to be careful of the weight and the form due to damage that can be done. If the weight is reasonable, they should be okay.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

Yep. THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've introduced it to my 13-yo daughter. She is 5'6" tall weighs 125 lbs, and complains that she is fat because of her belly. I told her that she didn't need to diet. Instead, I bought her some light weights and showed her some exercises. She is already started firming up her abs and is much happier with her body.

My 9-yo daughter thinks she can do anything her sister can so she plays with my weights but I fuss at her and won't let her lift the heavy ones. I will let her play on the ball though which focuses on strengthening area using body weight. I just don't let the youngest do it because she would try to do too much and end up hurting herself.
  • Azdak
    Options

^^^^ THIS

It's just not true. Again, rather than relying on random opinions, I would again refer everyone to the position papers published by the relevant professional organizations and physician group.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I think the best thing i can say about that is go ask a doctors opinion cause for me it is good that in your son case he really needs to do exercises for health reason but we should know the preventive measures that is needed
    http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/

There are a couple of problems IMO. One, there is the expense of a doctor visit that is likely unnecessary. As I have mentioned a couple of times, there are clear guidelines on youth strength available. I think they are clear and simple enough to provide guidance to a parent without adding the expense of a doctor visit.

Two: especially since there is a good chance that the family doctor will not be familiar with these guidelines and will provide inaccurate information.

In the absence of an existing medical or physical condition, I think there is enough information available for parents to make their own decisions on this issue.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    5th grade... is he playing any sports?

My sons are a little bit younger and know I go to the gym and lift. After baseball and coming up to football season they wanted to do some workouts with me. I just focused on body weight things like different pushups contests, body weight squats and lunges too. Did a lot of different races, who can say no to bear crawls around the yard!
  • Jrflaw22
    Jrflaw22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My son is 11 and he is borderline overweight. I started taking him to my gym about one month ago. I take him three days per week. He does two exercises per body part and doesn't lift any weight that he can't get 10 reps out of for three sets. We are in the gym for about an hour and of that hour he's lifting weights about 30 minutes. The rest of the time he's on a treadmill running/walking for 20 minutes and about 10 minutes worth of sit ups (4 sets of 15). He enjoys the hell out of it. He's more confident and I enjoy teaching him. He will be in much better shape for hockey this year. The owner of the gym (who is a PT) gives us some instruction here and there on form, but I'm pretty well versed in proper lifting techniques myself. Bottom line: don't overdo it and teach proper form. I would never let him loose on his own.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My 10yr old son started weights early this year, he'll be 11 in Dec.. Dr approved, and dad or I have to always be with him to ensure he is doing things correctly and safely. He doesn't use a lot of weight, very low actually, I figure if nothing else it's teaching him a good habit. But it has helped with his shooting. He is in shooting sports with the local 4H and was having trouble even holding the gun up that long but now he can do it much longer without being so tired.

He's plenty active in other ways too, like baseball, biking, walking, playing regular ole sports with friends, etc.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    usually ortho doctors do not recommend lifting weights until around age 13 or after puberty for kids. He could do body weight exercises though. Show him pics of people with big muscles doing cool body weight movements. He would like that.
    thats because docs are idiots. don't lift weight they say, but by all means, play football, soccer, and cheer which have 100x the injury rates. o.O

There is zero reason for a child to not lift. If he wants to, by all means, teach him.

I agree!! Start them out playing football, soccer, and hockey at 3-5 years old (cuz after all, they are all going to be in the NFL, NHL, or World Cup!) , but heaven forbid they lift any weights til after puberty... which my son is turning 15 next week and still isn't in the obvious signs of puberty yet. He does lift, with a coach, for football. However, he isn't lifting that much weight.

My son is a skinny little thing though. 5'2" and weighs 90 pounds.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but as a mother of 2 boys it's not something I agree with. At least until they hit puberty.
    do u deny your children lots of things based on how you feel about something vs say evidence?? or just lifting?

I'm a parent and yes I deny my child a lot of things based on how I feel about it.

Kudo's and applause for actually being a parent!!! Thank you!!!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    usually ortho doctors do not recommend lifting weights until around age 13 or after puberty for kids. He could do body weight exercises though. Show him pics of people with big muscles doing cool body weight movements. He would like that.
    thats because docs are idiots. don't lift weight they say, but by all means, play football, soccer, and cheer which have 100x the injury rates. o.O

There is zero reason for a child to not lift. If he wants to, by all means, teach him.

MOST ortho's are completely against participating in those sports, because of the risk factors behind them (even though they help keep their practices running, hah). When I jumped horses competitively as a teenager, my ortho lectured my mother and I on the dangers after a pretty bad fall. He was really against the sport. I agree with you that lifting weights couldn't be any more harmful than participating in these other dangerous activities, though.

To the OP, just wait the 3 weeks until your son's next appointment. Especially since your son is a diabetic. Good luck and I hope he gets the answer he is looking for!