Cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with an Israeli / Arab salad, which is finely chopped cucumber, tomato and colored peppers with a dash of olive oil, some lemon juice and some za'atar (a middle eastern spice you can find in any number of grocery stores around the US). I'll put a cup of that salad over a third cup of cottage cheese and sometimes mix in some feta. Yum! I find it also goes well with a fried egg.

Sounds good but I can't get za'atar easily any more. I have it with Israel hot sauce Skhug - but I think its an acquired taste

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skhug
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    put it on a beagle !

1247287132Cxn7BU.jpg
    ahahahaha
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I add salt and pepper. Nom! (yeah, I'm aware it's already high in sodium. Big pile of don't care)
  • chosengiver
    Options
    Here are some of my fave recipes using cottage cheese

Protein Shakes
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/

Yummi High Protein Pancakes
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/11/12/healthy-yummy-pancakes-recipe/
  • criscricket
    Options
    put it on a beagle !

Ruff ruff
  • criscricket
    Options
    Cinnamon and low cal sweetener
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    put it on a beagle !

A Dog? You heathen!!
  • noteve
    Options
    I always mix it with tuna and add salt and pepper. It makes a delicious protein tuna salad which can be eaten on bread, with other food or on its own.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese mixed with spring onions, cucumber and rivta crispbreads ............................mmmmm yummy
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's really good with mint and tomatoes. You could be all fancy and scoop the middles out of tomatoes and then pile the centre with cottage cheese.

My favourite is for breakfast, dolloped onto a pice of quality seeded bread, which has been scraped with either marmite or pumpkin seed butter. A litel sprinkling of seeds - pumpkin, sunflower whatever - on top for extra crunch is good too.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    I dont like eating it with fruit.. The weird texture mixed with fruit makes it feel like vomit lol

Ruined cottage cheese with fruit for me -gag-
    1046 Posts: 2
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese and eat it in a variety of ways. Thanks for all the posts, you've given me some new ideas. Two of my favorites are as follows:

mix the CC with a bit of cinnamon and artificial sweetener and spread on bread. Broil or put in toaster oven till brown.

make sugar free jello and add some fruit cocktail. When set, flake the jello and mix in CC. What a yummy dessert! If you want to add a bit of light cool whip, that is good, but really not necessary. Chopped nuts are a great add-in, too.

Enjoy!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's delicious with a little bit of honey stirred into it.
  • Ninnyninball
    Ninnyninball Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really like it with Beetroot!
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I put salsa in it.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Dlll & parsley - OMG, so good!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Loads of black pepper and/or chives.
  • Tara1B
    Options
    Am I the only one that just likes it plain?

I love it on it's own!

I also add it to salads, sandwiches, baked potatoes and put it on top of crumpets for breakfast. Love it with tomatoes!
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the moment is mixing it with a little scotch bonnet hot sauce.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't like cottage cheese at all, but i have found a way that i can eat it and it actually taste nice, so for a white sauce, mix cottage cheese with quark ( i do 50% of each) and an egg (add another egg if you want the mixture to set). I like to add trimmed bacon over cooked brown pasta and then bake for 20 mins. I love lots of cracked black pepper. I pretend its quiche or lasagne, comfort food. Don't like the idea about the over fruit thing, mostly why i don't like cottage cheese is because of the texture, the quark helps to smooth that out!