How many pounds is too much weight for dumbbell lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• vtachycardia
    Options
    you can't get big from using 12 pound dumbbells.

you should be using challenging weights.

I know sheet metal workers who use 3lb hammers all day and they are pretty big in the arms and shoulders and they do not do weight lifting.

Is she going to do 30DS all day long? Does she have testosterone levels like a man?

You miss the point and I never said the sheet metal workers were men. Perhaps you should read my original post to this topic before you get your lecture on.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Use a heavy enough weight that your muscles get fatigued and they feel "almost" too heavy, but not so heavy that you're using bad form or are going to hurt yourself. You will not bulk up - women don't have enough testosterone.

Keep up the good work!
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    YES - do NOT jump with weights
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I agree with this, as long as you can use proper form completing the exercise then the dumbell weight is up to you. But be careful, when I did the 30 day shred almost a year ago I used 5 pound weights on the jumping jack portion of level three and ended up with a tear in my rotator cuff.

Good point about injury, plyometric exercises with the addition of weight changes the amount of force on the small stabiliser muscles (like the Fab Four in the rotator cuff) by a ridiculous factor. Like Plyometric Squats with a bar, much different to just squatting.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There is no too big!!

This. Lift as heavy as you want. You won't end up looking like a female body builder. And it will help you lose weight.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP members. I'm a girl currently doing 30 day shred Jillian michaels DVD but I'm considering going up weight from 5 pounds to 8 pounds each dumb bell. I don't want to get big or massive just lean. I'm Still trying to lose weight.
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry. The misinformation that is given to women makes me sick.

But she is asking, not assuming that she can't use heavier weights.

I understand you're frustrated that women often don't understand that they won't bulk up without certain diets and years of work, but it would have been more helpful if someone like you who does understand weight lifting would have answered her question instead posting the equivalent of *headdesk*.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you can't get big from using 12 pound dumbbells.

you should be using challenging weights.

I know sheet metal workers who use 3lb hammers all day and they are pretty big in the arms and shoulders and they do not do weight lifting.

Is she going to do 30DS all day long? Does she have testosterone levels like a man?

You miss the point and I never said the sheet metal workers were men. Perhaps you should read my original post to this topic before you get your lecture on.

This was not a lecture. I was simply pointing out that it's not likely analogous to the OP's situation, and given that she expresses concern about the possibility of getting big and bulky if she uses heavier weights, potentially misleading.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    11614737_2272.jpg

I do not use dumbbells lighter than 25 pounds...........I do not look bulky.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you can grow a beard, you can concern yourself with getting 'bulky'. If not, you will NOT build any appreciable amount of muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do want to stress, as a few others have, that when you are doing a program such as 30 Day Shred that incorporates weights into a cardio workout, there is such a thing as too heavy for safety. What the OP is talking about here is not straight-up lifting.

OP, how long have you been doing the program? Do you no longer feel much of a burn in your muscles at the end of a session using the 5-lb dumbbells? If so, you might consider going up to 8. But there's going to be an upper limit to how much weight you can use safely doing this sort of thing.
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to read and answer my post. What I really got from this thread is safety first. :) Don't worry mfp members I'll be careful. I'm excited to move up a weight :) Slowly but surely I'll be working with 20 pounders each side. Haha Ill see. I'm not in a hurry. 
    @ yanicka1 You are amazing. 
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The workouts have been getting easier and I wanted to challenge myself by working out with heavier weights. After reading this thread I realize I shouldn't worry about looking like Hulk Hogan.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I also stick with five pounders since I'm terrified of looking roided out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't do at home workouts, I just go to the gym. For some lifts my dumbbells range from 45-70 pounds. I'm still losing weight.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The workouts have been getting easier and I wanted to challenge myself by working out with heavier weights. After reading this thread I realize I shouldn't worry about looking like Hulk Hogan.

Hi I did 30 DS at 6kg weights max.
    It is however more cardio than weight training, there are resistance / strength exercises in it, that you'll find start to firm up muscles, but you won't bulk as the others have said. Big muscular women you see on the internet have often (I won't say all as a stereotype) taken testosterone to get that way. We don't have it naturally.

Now.. if you'd like to move on from 30 DS the others mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 there is a group on here that is highly active. Also there are other resources if you google them. Starting Strength by Rippetoe is good too. Bodybuilding.com has great vids of exercises with dumbbells or bodyweight but ultimately I'd get down the gym for heavy weights - you get a buzz and will shift weight while becoming leaner / stronger.

Good luck.