Bread Choices

Options

Replies

• furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I think Americans are used to being scared to death that food will spoil outside a fridge. Not everyone stores eggs in the fridge from what I understand... my husband is a great example of someone who buys into all the salmonella scares... he gets it from his mother. I'll eat raw eggs in a heartbeat and I've never once been food poisoned.

Yeah good luck with that.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I think Americans are used to being scared to death that food will spoil outside a fridge. Not everyone stores eggs in the fridge from what I understand... my husband is a great example of someone who buys into all the salmonella scares... he gets it from his mother. I'll eat raw eggs in a heartbeat and I've never once been food poisoned.

Yeah good luck with that.

Exactly... Lol. If anything, it's the stupid growth hormones we Americans pump into our meat & eggs that require the refrigeration. I'm not anti-American, but come on... it's quite obvious how the food industry has f***ed us all.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I use ...Mias Wheatbelt Bakehouse Multigrain Chia & Quinoa

Nice..bread and good for you !
  • Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    Try to find a "German" bakery. You cant find better breads in the whole wide world than in Germany!
  • ShaneOSX
    Options
    I personally feel that white bread is actually unhealthy, not just not a good diet choice. Especially the generic breads pumped full of chemicals.

I've never met anyone who doesn't keep eggs in the fridge, and while I'm aware that it's not essential, I would never not do it.

I stopped eating bread when I started dieting because the carbs are useless and the calories are crazy, but I just started eating P28 protein bread and love it.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I stopped eating bread when I started dieting because the carbs are useless and the calories are crazy, but I just started eating P28 protein bread and love it.

Carbs are useless? And all this time I was under the impression they were the most efficiently used and preferred fuel for the brain and body...
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    You keep your bread in your fridge?????

Yeah, freezer first, fridge after. It keeps so much longer!
  • sugr772003
    Options
    Healthy Life makes a wide range of low cal breads; white, wheat, low carb, italian, hamburger & hot dog buns, ect..., I like the white @ 35 cal per slice. I also use the hamburger buns for turkey burgers. (80 calories) I have found this brand at Kroger.
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options

Carbs are useless? And all this time I was under the impression they were the most efficiently used and preferred fuel for the brain and body...

If carbs were useless, why would we need them?
  • ciobair
    Options
    Another vote for Dave's Killer Breads. Love the 21 Grain and the Sprouted Wheat.

I also highly recommend making your own bread. Only do that if you have the will power to only cut and eat a regular sized slice...........
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Well, now you know different ;)

The brain needs some glucose which can be generated by the liver, the rest of the body will get on just fine with a ketone/fatty-acid mixture. In fact this is a 'cleaner' burning fuel than glucose.

I'm not down on all carbs, I like my veggies, I'd just rather be primarily fuelled by fat, not glucose.

Which, given I still have some fat fuel on board, makes sense to me.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If carbs were useless, why would we need them?

They aren't 'useless', of course.

Some people need some to maintain mucus levels, some people get dry eyes without them.

But what we don't need them for is energy.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I have to keep bread in the fridge because it takes me so long to eat a loaf and the bread I eat doen't have preservitives.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WHOA! Eggs DO go in the fridge! Bacteria! OMG!

I've never kept eggs in the fridge. Its perfectly fine to keep them in cool and dry area.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I have to keep bread in the fridge because it takes me so long to eat a loaf and the bread I eat doen't have preservitives.

The bread I buy is completely organic and preservative free but I would never dream of putting it in the fridge! Each to their own though of course.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why not ditch the bread and go Paleo :) Just sayin'
  • DawneMorris
    DawneMorris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weight watches bread is really good. Eggs don't need to go in the fridge in my opinion - they aren't when they are in the shop - and neither are tomatos - they taste funny after being in the fridge - again, in my opinion.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options

I also keep mine in the fridge... and before that, the freezer :)

As do I and it's because Sam's Club sells the bread I like as a "Take-Two" deal (i.e. two loaves for the price of one).

To answer the OP's question, I eat Aunt Millie's Healthy Life wheat bread. Each slice has 35 calories, 16g carbs, 4g protein, 6g fiber and 160mg sodium.
  • kandienicole
    Options
    I have used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat for the past couple of years: no high fructose corn syrup, 14 grams of whole grain, 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per slice! Very yummy...I have a slice every morning with my egg whites! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Looking for ideas on what kind of bread I should be eating.. I know white is out of the question :(
    Any suggestions?

You can eat any bread you want to eat. I like Arnold's Double Fiber Whole Wheat.