Hard work, blood, sweat & tears .... for what!??

Options
I've been training for a while now so I'm a decent weight with a decent amount of muscle and have a good fitness level, so I'm fairly happy

My plan was to go to maintenance calories whilst keeping my exercise routine which is:
3 days per week of an hour hard cycling. Tough, leg burning difficult!
3 days per week of hard heavy weight training. Agony in the gym, muscles burning, body exhausted, 100% hard, tough, gritted teeth, vein popping lifting. No let-up!

Nutrition is hard work too. Sacrifices galore, loads of chicken, get that protein inside me! Get busy with those protein shakes after the workouts!

So after a year of this gruelling work I'm going to be......

.......exactly the same????!!!

That doesn't seem fair! Is that right? Calorie neutral so no fat gain, but no muscle gain either - all that hard work for no additional tangible benefits?

Hard to get motivated for that is it not!

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. you have your health, you are fit, your body didnt gain in a year....you have beautiful children...a beautiful wife n are happy.....hmmm yet your fed up... look at the good my dear...i am sure it outweighs everything.
    life does sucks and I know...getting to a place where a person is maintaining healthy and happy can be trying... am there and know all too well.
    Take a look at what you have... be thankful...evaluate your goals...redefine and if you want them...sorry to tell you...it will be hard work...
    I guess looking from where i am at...your sweat and hard work... even though you remained the same, I feel is a BIG achievement and id be smiling and so happy to have my spouse and family to enjoy it with....but I guess I am looking at my own wl journey.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    what is the same?

Your weight?
    Your fitness?
    Your physique?

What?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. you have your health, you are fit, your body didnt gain in a year....you have beautiful children...a beautiful wife n are happy.....hmmm yet your fed up... look at the good my dear...i am sure it outweighs everything.
    life does sucks and I know...getting to a place where a person is maintaining healthy and happy can be trying... am there and know all too well.
    Take a look at what you have... be thankful...evaluate your goals...redefine and if you want them...sorry to tell you...it will be hard work...
    I guess looking from where i am at...your sweat and hard work... even though you remained the same, I feel is a BIG achievement and id be smiling and so happy to have my spouse and family to enjoy it with....but I guess I am looking at my own wl journey.

No not fed up, I'm happy

My point was really that I don't quite understand how this works. If I eat quite well and go through the motions at the gym I would expect to be ABOUT the same after a year. SO what are the tangible benefits of giving it my all?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    what is the same?

Your weight?
    Your fitness?
    Your physique?

What?

Well that's exactly what I need answers to. Calorie neutral by definition will mean my weight will be the same

My physique? Well, the golden rule (as I understand) is that you don't build muscle unless you have a calorie surplus, so I will NOT be any more muscley, and I won't have any more fat - so physique the same

Fitness? Well that's tricky, will it get better? Possibly I will have gains there
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Some far off day, when you hold your grandchildren in your arms, watch them graduate, see them get married, maybe even hold your great-grandchild in your arms, you'll know exactly what it was all for.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Some far off day, when you hold your grandchildren in your arms, watch them graduate, see them get married, maybe even hold your great-grandchild in your arms, you'll know exactly what it was all for.

I haen't explained myself very well then

If I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and work out. If I eat healthily and watch my weight, then after a year I will be similar to how I am now - and in years to come I will get all those benefits you listed

However.... I want to know what ADDITIONAL benefit I will get from...
    Punishing, hard, teeth gritting, lifting where I give 100% every time and can barely walk out the gym

Coupled with

Meticolous nutrition where I try to eat the very optimum, to be the best that I can be

What will my benefits be?
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options

If I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and work out. If I eat healthily and watch my weight, then after a year I will be similar to how I am now - and in years to come I will get all those benefits you listed

Punishing, hard, teeth gritting, lifting where I give 100% every time and can barely walk out the gym

Coupled with

Meticolous nutrition where I try to eat the very optimum, to be the best that I can be

Just as that poster implied, the benefits are a long and healthy life. Congrats to you on getting to a point where you can go on maintenance!
  • Wonderob
    Options

Coupled with

Just as that poster implied, the benefits are a long and healthy life. Congrats to you on getting to a point where you can go on maintenance!

Thanks you. However I need to re-word it as I'm not explaining myself very well

My current level is fit, decent weight, and a decent amount of muscle

If I ABSOLUTELY give my all down the gym, lifting as heavy as possible and looking like I'm training for the Olympics. Putting in the REALLY hard graft, AND eating as best as I possibly can.

If I maintain a neutral calorie intake will I look exactly the same in a years time or will I see improvements? If so what will they be as I can't imagine puting on muscle at neutral calories, despite lifting heavy
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If I maintain a neutral calorie intake will I look exactly the same in a years time or will I see improvements? If so what will they be as I can't imagine puting on muscle at neutral calories, despite lifting heavy

It depends on where you are now, really. "You can't put on muscle at a deficit" is for people who are already at like 15% bodyfat. (<-- made up number for emphasis, not to be taken literally.) If you are there, then you'll be the same - congratulations, this is what it takes to stay in that place. If you're not, you will probably see some changes but not the super-drastic ones you'd see on a hardcore bodybuilding program. Either way, you have to compare it not against "why am I not continually improving?" to "this is so much better than it would be if I weren't doing this," which is not nearly as psychologically satisfying, but it's still the truth.
  • Wonderob
    Options

It depends on where you are now, really. "You can't put on muscle at a deficit" is for people who are already at like 15% bodyfat. (<-- made up number for emphasis, not to be taken literally.) If you are there, then you'll be the same - congratulations, this is what it takes to stay in that place. If you're not, you will probably see some changes but not the super-drastic ones you'd see on a hardcore bodybuilding program. Either way, you have to compare it not against "why am I not continually improving?" to "this is so much better than it would be if I weren't doing this," which is not nearly as psychologically satisfying, but it's still the truth.

Good information thanks.

I'm around that ballpark 15% figure so I guess I'm going to have to put in the hard work to maintain it. I would prefer better gains in all honesty so I may think about the bulk/cut cycle but I've never had the discipline to do that before!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    It depends on where you are now, really. "You can't put on muscle at a deficit" is for people who are already at like 15% bodyfat. (<-- made up number for emphasis, not to be taken literally.) .

Just out of interest, what difference does that make? I've heard that you can build muscle on a calorie deficit if you're an absolute beginner or if you're very obese; but 10%, 15%, 25%, does that matter???
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So what is the point of running to stand still?

Worst Case
    You stay the same and dont go backwards and you get the pleasure of training.

Best Case
    You will get fitter and stronger

Alternate Case - rather that working out for the sake of it, take up a sport - you might get extra benefits
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Because you still view it all as work.

Find foods you like that fit into your macros, and exercise you like doing for the sake of doing. It doesn't have to be a miserable experience.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Some people enjoy the routine and structure... and challenge. It can be argued it's more of a mental than a physical challenge at times. And some people like that aspect of it. Also, meticulous nutrition? That's just not necessary, unless you are training for bodybuilding or competition.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

^^^This... Your view makes it seem alot like work..
    Additional benefits: You maybe less stressed, you get to zone out and do your own thing while at the gym or exercising.. Look around at the different people at the gym and see what they are doing, maybe even talk to some people if you don't.

Sounds like you dislike sacrificing good food for nutritious food, why don't you eat some of the things you miss? Think your going to go to the Dr and he is going to say "You ate a rack of ribs, you now have cancer"
  • Wonderob
    Options

Additional benefits: You maybe less stressed, you get to zone out and do your own thing while at the gym or exercising.. Look around at the different people at the gym and see what they are doing, maybe even talk to some people if you don't.

Sounds like you dislike sacrificing good food for nutritious food, why don't you eat some of the things you miss? Think your going to go to the Dr and he is going to say "You ate a rack of ribs, you now have cancer"

People seem to be missing the crux of my question (my fault!)

1) I eat sensibly and work out moderatly. Play some sport I enjoy and eat some foods I like. Maintaining my current weight

2) I eat VERY sensibly and work out very INTENSELY. Really lifting as heavy as possible. Maintaining my current weight

Now the question is this. If I follow the second option then you would think that my body would look better (stronger and fitter looking) than if I follow the first. Would this be the case? I don't think so, so why not?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options

1) I eat sensibly and work out moderatly. Play some sport I enjoy and eat some foods I like. Maintaining my current weight

2) I eat VERY sensibly and work out very INTENSELY. Really lifting as heavy as possible. Maintaining my current weight

Now the question is this. If I follow the second option then you would think that my body would look better (stronger and fitter looking) than if I follow the first. Would this be the case? I don't think so, so why not?

Sensible and moderate... people are going to define those differently, of course. Give an example... do you mean working out 5 days per week, heavy lifting to failure and hardcore cardio sessions every other day? Or 3 days of lifting for 45 minutes with a few brisk walks or runs thrown in? 7 days per week at an hour per day?

Are you trying to consistently eat at X amount of calories without going over or under 100-200 calories... or do you give yourself days where you can carb it up and eat more? No desserts? Or ice-cream daily?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You're speaking in pretty relative terms, but taken at face value... If you're at maintenance cals, you'll continue to see changes over time, just not as significant or as quickly as you would if you were at a surplus or a deficit.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP, asked a similar question.

I think it probably does take significantly more vigilance about nutrition and effort in the gym to go from 'your natural body looking pretty good' to 'who the eff is that'.

Far more than might be true for a beginner/sedentary/overweight person, who I think can improve aesthetics a lot with 3 good hours of strength a week, 300-cal deficit, & protein where it should be.

I'd be glad to know *how* much effort/vigilance makes the difference, too :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

No not fed up, I'm happy

My point was really that I don't quite understand how this works. If I eat quite well and go through the motions at the gym I would expect to be ABOUT the same after a year. SO what are the tangible benefits of giving it my all?

benefits are you dont' gain weight. you stay healthy.