Don't Lie It's ticking me off!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Even with junk food, if he's in calorie deficit he's probably losing weight. The first several pounds will usually be water. If he's just indulging a day or 2 out of the week and eating fine the rest of the time, I see this as a more livable way to maintain weight. People who regain their weight most likely changed everything in the way they ate, lost it, missed foods they enjoyed eating, started eating it again and regained.
    I don't tell my clients to diet. I tell them to make sure they meet their macro/micro nutrient profile, then if they have calories left over from their limit, to eat whatever they want, but make sure not to go over. Since doing it this way, the regain factor for my clients is almost non existent because they have now learned to still consume the foods they like without weight regain.
    Health isn't just about food. You can eat as healthy as you want, but if you don't exercise, reduce stress, get enough rest, and basically aren't happy (emotionally) then you probably aren't more healthy than before with the exception of better eating habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I seem to not be getting across that he's making it all up. We live and work together - I see him way more often than need be said. He claimed to lose 10 pounds in 3 days eating like this. Not allowing himself things he enjoys from time to time - but eating every single meal in the portions that would serve a family of four! and the most exercise he's getting is rolling over while he sleeps on the couch.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If he's got 100+ lbs to lose then yes it will be easier for him to lose them, and still have room for treats like pizza. That's just how it is, the more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose.

I would have to disagree with this as I started this journey with 200lbs to lose and I have lost 32lbs, losing those 32lbs were definitely not easy they were dang hard with allot of hard work, sweat and pain. So regardless if a person has to lose 10lbs or 200lbs we put in what we are prepared to take out. Either way we all have to work our *kitten* off.

It really annoys me when certain people categorize others based on their size and their capabilities. I don't eat pizza every day because if I did I would gain everything back that I lost.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Even with junk food, if he's in calorie deficit he's probably losing weight. The first several pounds will usually be water. If he's just indulging a day or 2 out of the week and eating fine the rest of the time, I see this as a more livable way to maintain weight. People who regain their weight most likely changed everything in the way they ate, lost it, missed foods they enjoyed eating, started eating it again and regained.
    I don't tell my clients to diet. I tell them to make sure they meet their macro/micro nutrient profile, then if they have calories left over from their limit, to eat whatever they want, but make sure not to go over. Since doing it this way, the regain factor for my clients is almost non existent because they have now learned to still consume the foods they like without weight regain.
    Health isn't just about food. You can eat as healthy as you want, but if you don't exercise, reduce stress, get enough rest, and basically aren't happy (emotionally) then you probably aren't more healthy than before with the exception of better eating habits.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    As someone who has a jerkface, lying brother, I would just punch him. :drinker:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sooner or later, it'll show that he's lost nothing.

"Gee, you've lost 70 lbs but are still a 56" waist?"

Give it time..... let it simmer....

Yeah exactly this. When you have over 100lb to lose you can get away with saying you have lost 10-20lbs..... but when he starts saying 50-60 but isn't noticably different.... people will know.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I seem to not be getting across that he's making it all up. We live and work together - I see him way more often than need be said. He claimed to lose 10 pounds in 3 days eating like this. Not allowing himself things he enjoys from time to time - but eating every single meal in the portions that would serve a family of four! and the most exercise he's getting is rolling over while he sleeps on the couch.
    Then call him out for making it all up. Really the only person he's hurting is himself. I get clients that tell me they are doing fine with eating, but when I don't see any change in their physique or body weight, I'll call them on it. They eventually confess that they probably aren't following the eating regimen as consistently as they should.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Brothers are born to be annoying. I know - I have one and I am one. However, he is the only one I have. [we have a sister but she isn't annoying]

You don't want him to suffer the consequences of all that unhealthy food, which is highly commendable BUT you are doing the 'suffering' and 'self-mortification' while he is taking vicarious credit on his say-so alone. How galling!
    BUT the waist band and tape-measure won't lie. He risks being exposed to your colleagues at work as a bragging charlatan.

So, how about:
    When people ask you how proud you are of him you could say, "Of course"- and how good it would be to start a slimming club at work - there probably are a few others who could benefit from dropping a stone or two - and they wouldn't have to pay slimming club membership fees. (?)

Set up one day each week as "(Public) Weigh-in day" and take in the scales that day and keep a progress chart. Do you have a notice board to display this PERMANENTLY for all to see?

That way, if 'Someone' is lying then he will be found out and will be forced to either shut up or put up.

Just a thought.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sorry for insulting your brother but ...

Men = peacocks. They can't live without the adoration of others.

Fact of life. You just have to accept it. #ManBashing
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Then don't sweat it. It will all become very obvious soon enough. When I first lost, I lost pants sizes before I lost pounds. If he's not doing anything - if he's not losing weight it will be very apparent - very soon! Let him hang himself.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sorry for insulting your brother but ...

Men = peacocks. They can't live without the adoration of others.

Fact of life. You just have to accept it. #ManBashing

Generalize...much?
  • kevinpatten
    Options
    I think that is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. If you say something often enough people will believe it. I have got to try this..... I have lost 2 sizes in my pants in the past month. (not really, but did you believe me? Excellent...)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    just think how sweet its going to feel, when you see some one and they will say

"gee you're looking great, have you lost weight?? and that muscle definition you got going is AWSOME"
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    and you will know thats what they see. Its a real compliment, and you deserve it.

whereas your brother will get
    " wow you say you've lost a lot of weight, but i don't think it shows as much as your sister, and shes only lost a few pounds, maybe you should try some of her workouts. "
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    When people ask you how proud you are of him you could say, "Of course"- and how good it would be to start a slimming club at work - there probably are a few others who could benefit from dropping a stone or two - and they wouldn't have to pay slimming club membership fees. (?)

Set up one day each week as "(Public) Weigh-in day" and take in the scales that day and keep a progress chart. Do you have a notice board to display this PERMANENTLY for all to see?

That way, if 'Someone' is lying then he will be found out and will be forced to either shut up or put up.

I like this idea. I think your brother might be jealous of your progress. Make a public contest of it, and either he'll be found out, or he'll genuinely start trying to lose that weight. Either way you win.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    He is probably jealous of your weightloss so he has to brag about himself. He will not be able to keep up with his lying for long.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    *One last rant post before calling it a night*

I have been - quite literally - been working my but off to lose weight. I've dropped 25 pounds so far (17 since joining MFP). Every meal I eat is planned and considered, my portions are reasonable, but vastly different from how I used to eat. I don't seem to manage to work out every single day, but I certainly do the majority of them - all in all I've reinvented my entire life.
    MY COMPLAINT: My very over weight, lazy brother I live with announced that he was going to lose 100 pounds this year. I was happy for this commitment and offered him some of the healthy yummy dinner I was making, which he quickly declined. Next thing I know he brings in a large pizza and two litter of soda and consumes the entire thing. Two days later, after watching him devour a large package of fried chicken I asked him how his weight loss plan was going. He smiled up and in all seriousness says, "great, I've lost 10 pounds so far!" We happen to work together and he goes to work every few days talking about all the weight he's lost and yadda yadda, while not making one damn effort - and everyone eats it up and asks me how proud I am of him and I swear I just want to punch him in the face.
    I AM WORKING MY HEART OUT TO GET HEALTHY!!!!!! I don't need praise or compliments or glory, but it's killing me watching someone parade around basking in it while continuing habits that I'm pretty sure are going to kill him!!!!!!!!!
    Has anyone else gone through anything like this?

EDIT: Apparently I didn't make this clear HE HASN'T ACTUALLY DROPPED ONE SINGLE POUND! HE'S LYING!!! TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so you and i are related? because that sounds like my dad. "im going to get on the elliptical for 30min every morning!"
    and then...nothing.
    "im going to eat healthy" then takes us to ihop and gets chicken and waffles.
    "im going off caffiene" and gets regular coffee.
    "im going to start working out/i cant do pushups or lift weights or ru."

Oh, but to everyone else hes lost 30+lbs. but when its me hes talking to, he gained 11.
    It makes me crazy because of all the excuses, because my mom started at 256lbs and not at all physically capable of doing much. he is in better shape than she was. i just want o say, "quit making excuses and lying, just admit you arent doing anything and try again when you can commit to change."
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Wow! Someone agreed with something I wrote - gosh! I am proud.
    <waves paws>
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is doing it to piss you off. It worked. Let it go. Focus on YOU.
  • mela216r
    Options
    If he knows he's s gaining weight then he must be weighing at home. Is there a way to somehow recalibrate your scale & add, like, 22 or 23 lbs? If you can do it & keep a straight face, it might freak him out enough to reconsider how he's eating. It would be kinda funny to see his reaction. In any case if you just keep on your positive track & continue to see results he may get inspired to hop on the bandwagon! Or he may be jealous or depressed that he is getting " left behind" in your journey for better health. Maybe ask him to get on program with you so you can both support each other.