am i the only one worried about flab?

Options
ive actually terrified myself recently i was watching embaressing bodys and a young woman on it had lost alot of weight 100lbs+ and was left with hanging skin everywhere ...

my problem is i have over 100lb too loose and as im only 22 i dont want to be left with excess skin! any tips on how to help your skinand help prevent the saggyness

im being realistic and know i will have some sag to my skin but any tips would be apreciated x tah

Replies

• _granola
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights. Strength training will help maintain your lean body mass while dieting.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have a lot less than you think you will.
    I agree with "heavy" lifting, or strength training.
    Also HIIT.
    I think you will love your body's changes between now and your goal.
    And I think you're gonna be quite happy with your body.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    slow weight loss. Flabby skin comes with fast extreme weight loss. You have to give the skin time to retract.
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss! I have saggy skin on my thighs, and I've been lifting weights continously to slim the saggy, which helps a lot.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Are you the only one?
    Chances are a big NO.

lift heavy things (if you can), slow weight loss, drink water, moisturize and things will all fall into place.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    slow weight loss. Flabby skin comes with fast extreme weight loss. You have to give the skin time to retract.

Flabby skin can also come with slow weight loss, just saying. It depends on the person.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't crash diet or do surgery, your skin knows what's up and it will act accordingly :)

Specially that you a e still young and the elasticity is still there ;0
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much the skin was stretched, it may never firm back up. I know several women that I train that have lost lots of weight and their flabby skin will never go away unless they have surgery.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    sniff sniff =/ im gunna have to start saving for surgery then lol
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the same worry as I also need to lose over 100lbs. The way I look at it is that lose skin is better than 100lbs of fat! I'm drinking lots of water and using a moistuiser with collagen and vitamin E so hopefully it will tighten as I lose. I'm also going to the gym regularly and trying to build my strength.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    strength training and patience - I have 3 children and had a ton of flappy skin on my belly...it's slowly going away...first it gets wrinkly, then the wrinkles start to tighten up...it takes years for the skin elasticity to shrink, and then it seems to only do so with losing fat and building muscle...my youngest is 8 and I still have a few low belly wrinkles, but they do still seem to be vanishing...every now and then I notice there are fewer...life is a journey!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    22 is still very young, chances are you will snap back fairly quickly. Start lifting weights, that helps!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one with this concern. Best to not freak out about it. If it happens you will find a way to deal with it. Being young gives you a huge advantage as your skin and underlying connective tissues are still elastic. As others have said, slow steady loss of fat and building of mucles are good stradegies to give you the best chance of no sagging skin. Ani
  • boswellheather
    boswellheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have that worry myself but i figure I'll focus on the fitness and worry about everything else when i get there. Just be proud of ur progress and dont stress!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Loose skin generally accompanies rapid weight loss. Keep it slow and steady and, not only will your skin shrink as you do (it happens, though there may be a bit of delay), but you'll be able to stick with it, and maintain after the weight has come off so you don't put it all back on again.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It will work out. Just get keep working on what you can. You can always add new exercise as time goes by. This is not a race and you don't have to do everything at once.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly scientific opinion, but - the only people I've known to need surgery were those who did accelerated weight loss, such as gastric bypass. And somewhere on the forum, I saw some images of a lady who went from the 260's (where I started) to the 240's, and her skin was rebounding just fine.

I share your worry - but I think there's hope for us! (-:
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I know it is not easy to not worry about flabby skin, however, you are still young and your skin should have lots of elasticity left in it. Strength training will really help and a slow weight loss is the way to go. That way your skin has a chance to bounce back into shape and with time it will look a lot better. Don't lose hope, there are a lot of us in the same boat. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much the skin was stretched, it may never firm back up. I know several women that I train that have lost lots of weight and their flabby skin will never go away unless they have surgery.

This really makes little sense. My belly skin has been stretched repeatedly and to a large degree. I have had four children and since I'm very short there's no where for it to go but out. I looked like I had a watermelon under my shirt. The skin shrinks back. The stuff that hasn't "firmed up", currently, is still over a bit of fat. And it's been less than a year.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 41.5 pounds from December 2011 till now. in general, less than 5 pounds per month. No flab, and I didn't lift a single weight until I started my barre 3 this month (like 1 pound dumb bells. I drank a lot of water, cut out sugar, bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. Walked / kept active every day to the equivalent of 5 to 10 thousand steps a day. Used over the counter drugstore body lotions like curel and sebamed.

I think the high protein and high veggie diet helped as well. But I am just saying what worked for me. No science to back it up.

Oh - I am 53 years old.