Question about "rest" days

Options
OK, So for the past month or so I have worked out EVERY DAY doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred..... I lost inches and weight but for the last 2 and a half weeks the scale hasn't moved. I was reading somewhere that your body needs a "rest" day to recoup.... It killed me but I did take a day off yesterday.... Does this have anything to do with the last 8 or 9 pounds not coming off? and does it really benefit you to take a "rest" day? I just want my tummy smaller darn it lol... HELP YA'LL

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes, your muscles need time to rest and repair themselves.

You might consider taking a day of rest after every 3-4 days of exercise.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I can't believe that is so hard for me to do lol.... I have always been a "lazy" person and I guess I'm scared if I slow down I will stop lol... UGH..... K... I will try that!!!!! Do you think that is why I am stuck at this weight?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day on Sunday every week. I did it through all 3 JM DVDs I've completed and am doing it with the one I'm doing now as well. I think I need the rest day. And as far as losing... It will come. Are you still taking measurements? Do you take progress photos? I know that when I was doing Kickbox FastFix, I don't think I lost more than maybe an inch or two all told and maybe a pound... But when I looked at my progress photos, I was very excited to see MUCH more definition in my triceps. It's tough when the scale won't move or barely moves, but at least you're not GAINING.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I can't believe that is so hard for me to do lol.... I have always been a "lazy" person and I guess I'm scared if I slow down I will stop lol... UGH..... K... I will try that!!!!! Do you think that is why I am stuck at this weight?

It's possible, although food intake has a lot to do with weight loss of course.

I find it hard also, but I do take at least 1 rest day a week - - - 2 if I've hit it particularly hard.
  • alicia0416
    Options
    I take a rest day on Sunday every week. I did it through all 3 JM DVDs I've completed and am doing it with the one I'm doing now as well. I think I need the rest day. And as far as losing... It will come. Are you still taking measurements? Do you take progress photos? I know that when I was doing Kickbox FastFix, I don't think I lost more than maybe an inch or two all told and maybe a pound... But when I looked at my progress photos, I was very excited to see MUCH more definition in my triceps. It's tough when the scale won't move or barely moves, but at least you're not GAINING.

My body is changing for sure!!!!! I do have pics...

th_a797975a.jpg

th_afb43be4.jpg

th_f1938f3b.jpg

th_f55c9397.jpg

I am really happy about the changes... just wondering what I can do to AMP up loosing these last PESKY pounds lol.....

AND I wanna open my food diary so everyone can tell me what I am doing wrong lol... I'm gonna try that now....
  • alicia0416
    Options
    th_13fac476.jpg

This is the progress OVER ALL lol... five years in the making man....
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    th_13fac476.jpg

You're doing great! How tall are you? You look fabulous where you are, BTW. I know how it is with those goals, though. I was trying to get down to 135 myself, but my original goal was 140 & I kinda seem to be staying right there... And I've realized that I *am* happy at this weight. I need to do more work to keep getting stronger, but I don't really need to lose anymore. I have a larger frame, apparently, by doing wrist & elbow measurements. When I was lying on my back in bed the other day, I had my hand on my stomach & realized how far down it sinks now. My ribs were protruding, my hip bones a bit as well. THAT was actually my deciding factor. And seeing a photo of myself without makeup & my hair pulled back last weekend. My face is bordering on too thin. I've lost enough and I'm good here. I hope that you get to that place soon, or are able to reach goal. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • alicia0416
    Options
    th_13fac476.jpg

You're doing great! How tall are you? You look fabulous where you are, BTW. I know how it is with those goals, though. I was trying to get down to 135 myself, but my original goal was 140 & I kinda seem to be staying right there... And I've realized that I *am* happy at this weight. I need to do more work to keep getting stronger, but I don't really need to lose anymore. I have a larger frame, apparently, by doing wrist & elbow measurements. When I was lying on my back in bed the other day, I had my hand on my stomach & realized how far down it sinks now. My ribs were protruding, my hip bones a bit as well. THAT was actually my deciding factor. And seeing a photo of myself without makeup & my hair pulled back last weekend. My face is bordering on too thin. I've lost enough and I'm good here. I hope that you get to that place soon, or are able to reach goal. I know how frustrating it can be.

Thanks you so much... I'm 5'6"..... I am really striving for my 125-130 goal. But I'm like you, when I lay on the bed and see the difference in my body I get SUPER happy and realize how much I have changed. Yesterday was the first day I noticed bones in my shoulder and my shoulder blades sticking out!!!! Really happy about that hehe..... I'm gonna keep on keeping on and hopefully one day I will have my "bikini body" lol
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When i started 30DS i was doing it every day as well, and the scale didnt move at all for a while. I decided that I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with exercising that hard every day once i finished level 3 so I decided to chill it out to every other day. and VOILA the scale has moved! your muscles definitely need time to recover, because it is the recovery process that makes them stronger. The exercise breaks down the fibres in the muscles and then they retain water and build back up, stronger. So yes, im a big advocate of rest days!
  • alicia0416
    Options
    When i started 30DS i was doing it every day as well, and the scale didnt move at all for a while. I decided that I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with exercising that hard every day once i finished level 3 so I decided to chill it out to every other day. and VOILA the scale has moved! your muscles definitely need time to recover, because it is the recovery process that makes them stronger. The exercise breaks down the fibres in the muscles and then they retain water and build back up, stronger. So yes, im a big advocate of rest days!

Well THANKS!!!!It is gonna kill me to take a rest day lol... I was FIENING to workout yesterday lol.... (first day I haven't worked out in MONTHS) even before 30DS
  • millyvanilli321
    Options

Well THANKS!!!!It is gonna kill me to take a rest day lol... I was FIENING to workout yesterday lol.... (first day I haven't worked out in MONTHS) even before 30DS

I understand about dying to work out! If I'm sat down i feel like i should be moving more and burning more! But I've found that if I've had a rest day I can actually push myself harder when i do workout. If your plan is to make this a lifestyle change, will you be able to keep up exercising every day for the rest of your life? I certainly wont :blushing: My aim is to create habits that i can maintain for a long time, and keep the weight off forever :happy:
  • alicia0416
    Options

I understand about dying to work out! If I'm sat down i feel like i should be moving more and burning more! But I've found that if I've had a rest day I can actually push myself harder when i do workout. If your plan is to make this a lifestyle change, will you be able to keep up exercising every day for the rest of your life? I certainly wont :blushing: My aim is to create habits that i can maintain for a long time, and keep the weight off forever :happy:

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I AM NOT GOING " LOW CARB" I know I cant keep that up lol.... I can do this everyday..... I really think i can... I just have SO MUCH energy when I workout!!!! I was never a morning person and I've been up at 4:30 Everymorning just to get a workout in before work lol..... I'm addicted it seems lol
  • millyvanilli321
    Options

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY I AM NOT GOING " LOW CARB" I know I cant keep that up lol.... I can do this everyday..... I really think i can... I just have SO MUCH energy when I workout!!!! I was never a morning person and I've been up at 4:30 Everymorning just to get a workout in before work lol..... I'm addicted it seems lol

yeah i love my carbs too! lol 4.30am WOW that's awesome! I've noticed a definite increase in energy since working out too! Although it does manifest in pestering my bf a lot of the time and generally acting like a hyperactive child! :drinker: It's a good kind of addiction, definitely :happy:
  • alicia0416
    Options
    @Millyvanilli3.... I DO THE SAME THING!!!!!! My hubby threatened divorce lol.. (no seriously of course) lol... I jump around all the time... he says I'm a "crack monkey" lmao
  • millyvanilli321
    Options
    @alicia... Ahhhh I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! hahaha I'd never have thought expending more energy exercising would mean having more energy in the day. Off for a run, FR on its way!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Your muscles will retain water when inflamed. If they are sore, they are inflamed. I take 1-2 days off in a row and don't notice a drop in weight, but when I went 9 days without doing ANY exercise due to an injury, I dropped 2 pounds. Now that I am back to working out, I am up that same 2 pounds. Water weight.
  • alicia0416
    Options
    Your muscles will retain water when inflamed. If they are sore, they are inflamed. I take 1-2 days off in a row and don't notice a drop in weight, but when I went 9 days without doing ANY exercise due to an injury, I dropped 2 pounds. Now that I am back to working out, I am up that same 2 pounds. Water weight.

What if I am not sore at all... I mean at first yeah it was brutal but now I just fly through it....
  • anzielinger
    anzielinger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about alternating 30DS with a cardio day? Or do you still think your body need a solid 'do not exercise' rest day every 3/4 days
  • alicia0416
    Options
    alahham... I am only doing the rest day because the new workout I start tomorrow says to take one lol... I Did the 30DS with no rest days until like day 28 lol... I love the results I got... just waiting for the rest of the chubb to go away lol
  • anzielinger
    anzielinger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. WOW! 28 days straight - you are strong!! I bet you got some awesome results. I'll have to try it your way.