I need 200-300 calorie meal ideas

Options
Lately I've been eating 400-600 caloried meals in one sitting, and it's not working any more. I want to start eating smaller portions of healthy foods consistently so I don't get hungry or over-eat.

If you have any easy to make dishes/sandwiches/other ideas than please let me know!

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is a tortilla (low carb tortillas have less cals) filled with romaine lettuce, a mix of choppped tomato/red onion/cucumber, feta cheese and whatever dressing you want. Get a good tortilla, a light dressing, and with feta cheese a little goes a long way.

Make your sandwiches on Sandwich Thins or an english muffin, and only spend 100 cals on the bread.

Broth based soup!

Protein shakes made with good quality protein and unsweetened almond milk. You could even throw in 1 T of peanut butter and still get under 300 cals.

Egg on toast or english muffin

Salad with hard boiled egg, light dressing

String cheese, hard boiled egg, apple

Banana with peanut butter

Veggies and hummus
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Tuna Sandwich

Half a can light chunk tuna: 50 calories
    Two slices of low cal bread: 90-100 calories, or if you can find lower calories, that be great.
    Half an avocado: 150 calories
    Tabasco or whatever you like ;3.

Just mash the avocado and mix it in with the tuna with whatever seasonings you like ;D. Instead of bread, you can also use carrots or crackers to dip it in.
  • UncleAngry
    Options
    Joseph's tortilla, lavash bread or pita pockets for a bread/wrap. Great stuff with 11 carbs (tortillas) and 7g of protein (amazing for bread)
    [url] http://www.josephsbakery.com/p-10234-Flax-Oat-Bran-and-Omega-3-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Tortilla [/url]
    Fill that with lean white chicken breast, lettuce and salsa

Another go to for me is Chobani 0% greek yogurt (8 oz) with blueberries (frozen or fresh). Some people complain it's too tart, the yogurt by itself does taste just like sour cream. Add 1 packet of Splenda if you need a little more sweeter.

and my absolute "in a rush need to eat and run at same time" 1 can of solid white albacore tuna in water, with lemon juice. Fast, easy, grear protein and omega 3 source.

As always make sure you're drinking plenty of water before and during your meals, always helps fill me up.
  • missismj
    missismj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato with tuna and tomatoes is my favourite :)
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Anything high in protein (tuna, salmon, turkey, etc) with avocado and a TON of spinach. Spinach is so good for you and you can eat it bottomlessly so it gives you the mental feeling of eating a lot. I make awesome salads of all sorts and wraps with La Tortilla Factory (low carb, high protein and 50 cals) and I'm full for hours without ever feeling weighed down. Low fat cottage cheese is also a good item. You're welcome to browse my diary - I generally eat meals in the 300 cal range and I can't tell you how great I feel. The trick is knowing you're not going to feel super full - you will feel satisfied. Hope this helps!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There is a diet bread i found,
    with only 35 calories per slice,
    it is called Healthy Life Diet 35-calorie high fiber bread,
    i found it at Walmart.

and it comes in
    wheat
    or
    white.

might help you make lower calorie sandwiches.
  • LondonNYC
    LondonNYC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are two books from Hungry Girl that I like - "300 under 300" and "200 under 200." Literally hundreds of recipes under 300/200 calories. Word of caution, though - some of the sodium/fat can be high in them, so I use them as jumping-off points instead of following the recipe to the letter.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary (not todays, because I'm not logging). All of my meals are 300-400 calories in size, and super healthy/nutritious.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh, and ignore the donuts from the past week. Too many birthdays at work!
  • DorothyLowry
    DorothyLowry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is how i eat and here are a few of my stand bys that are really quick and easy.

Plain or vanilla nonfst or lowfat Greek yogurt (1/2 cup)with fruit(1 cup) and granola(1/4 cup) or a few chopped nuts(1/2 ounce)

Cottage cheese(1/2 cup) and triscuits(1 serving, 6 crackers)

Big salad - lots of fresh lettuce and the veggie toppings of your choice. I dress my lettuce first with 1 tbsp of salad dressing then add the other veggies. I then top it with 2-3 ounces of lean protein - chicken or ham. If I can afford the calories at the meal, I add 2 tbsp of toasted soy nuts for some crunch and added protein.

1 rice cake with 1 tbsp almond butter and a 1-2 cups of fresh fruit

Check out skinnytaste.com for some entrée ideas. I have liked everything I have tried from this site and the calorie counts on her entrees are reasonable.

Good Luck!
  • tanvet
    Options
    Turkey chalupas are a hit and run about 280 cals

2 ounce lean ground turkey 81 cal
    2 baked corn toastada (2 toastada =100 cal)
    1/4 cup drained and rinsed balck beans 70
    1/4 Roma tomato 16 cal
    1/8 cup grilled green onions 5 cal
    and lots of lettuce and or spinach usually 5 cals for a cup
    you can add kraft fat free swiss cheese but it cost 25 cals extra

be sure to spice up your turkey with cumin, pepper, garlic, thyme, I even add curry, do not add salt to turkey because it is in the toastada.

also veggie 3 egg white omelet is about 100 cals with pam olive oil spray
  • jkdorf
    Options
    The best way I've found to do this is to cut out grains. As a type 2 diabetic I have to be very careful of my carbs. I found that really hard to do and I was always hungry. Also, eating grains of any sort (bread, pasta, rice, cereal..etc...) made me just crave more of them and totally sabotaged my diet. By cutting out all grains I now get my carbs from fresh fruit. I eat a LOT more vegetables also. You can eat quite a lot of veggies and feel very full (and get the benefits of the fiber and vitamins) and stay within your calorie goals much easier without grains.
    Be careful what meats you eat also. Store bought beef is just full of fat. Store bought pork has added sodium. (check the packaging. At Wal Mart their pork has added salt and water!) We stick to chicken, fish and goat. The only beef I eat is grass fed which is MUCH lower in fat and calories.
    Here's an idea for breakfreast:

Saute 1/2 cup mushrooms with 1/4 cup onion in a skillet sprayed with oil.
    Once the onions and mushrooms are cooked, add 2 eggs and scramble.
    I serve this with a medium sliced tomato. Only 195 calories and it's nicely filling.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great website for recipes and inspiration - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

I am an avid cook and this is my go to website every time. I don't even bother looking at all my cookery books anymore. The great thing about it is that people who have made the recipes gived feedback on them and suggestions as to how they can be improved so you're not taking a chance making something new.

They have filters for 0-200 calories and 200-400 calories.

It's a UK site so you might have to do some measurement conversions.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    There is a diet bread i found,
    with only 35 calories per slice,
    it is called Healthy Life Diet 35-calorie high fiber bread,
    i found it at Walmart.

and it comes in
    wheat
    or
    white.

might help you make lower calorie sandwiches.

and it is delish...at least the wheat that i've had
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Here are some of mine:

Hard boiled egg and a Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage patty
    Yogurt/Greek Yogurt (90 calories) and a whole grain waffle (or two)
    Banana and a whole grain waffle

Fish (canned tuna, baked/grilled salmon or whitefish) or Grilled Chicken Breast on a big old bed of lettuce/spinach (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, cucumber optional)
    Hummus or tzatziki with carrots/cucumbers/celery and a few pita chips
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I will be making an indian-esque dinner tonight of stir fried veg (1 tbl spoon oil) tandoori chicken which has 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice, cumin corriander, tumeric, salt and pepper, gara masala ans chilli powder in with a little bit of oil (low fat) and marinated in 0 fat natural yoghurt, cooked under the grill on a high heat then finished in the oven and some rice with some lemongrass sticks and corriander leaves in total it comes to about 400 cals you can make some low fat alternatives though, no skin on the chicken, low fat oil or dry fry your veg and use less rice to bring it to 300. Its still really tasty the yoghurt only gives 20 cals so well worth a try.

One more if you want chips part boil them, put them in the oven with some chilli and paprika flakes and a couple sprays of 1 cal oil
  • chiquitatwist
    chiquitatwist Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Two white cheddar rice cakes with yellow mustard and thin sliced turkey breast
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches is a hawiaan crepe. I us a crepe, 2 oz deli shaves ham, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup pineapple. Heat until melted. You can also add a little diced jalapeño if you want. It comes to 345 calories. But you could use feta cheese and reduce that a little. You could probably use a tortilla instead of the crepe too.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "I need to eat a lot but don't have the calories left" meals are

1 pack of Veggie dogs
    1 can or bag of sour Kraut
    1 large sweet onion
    1 green apple

Cook the onions til they are nice and brown, add the apple cook til it's soft. Add sliced up veggie dogs, and Kraut. You can eat half the pan for less than 300. It is kind of high in sodium.. but, I like it when I need to eat a bunch.

I also do a Veggie LoMein with Shirataki noodles. That is a huge bowl of food for less than 150.
  • Sirxx99
    Options
    An egg or 2 or a few whites scrambled with Cheese, real bacon bits and top with alil salsa
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just had breakfast...2 eggs fried with cooking spray and 2 pieces of turkey bacon. It's about 240 calories sou you could easily add some berries, or another fruit and still stay around 300 calories. This is what I have most morning for breakfast and it keeps me full for a while. I try to save most of my calories for dinner :)