Healthier school lunches are a bad thing?

Options

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Kid runs the house.

Well that is the main problem right there. I understand NOT wanting the government to tell you what you can/can't feed your child. It isnt doing that though. It is telling a federally and locally funded entity what it can and can't do with that money. Schools are government products. You send your kids to school every day. In your absence we make decisions about your child-what behaviors are acceptable, what they can wear, what they learn, and so forth. And as a veteran employee of schools, I can say this: the only parenting some children get is when they are *at* school. But heaven forbid we try to tell your kids what they can consume while on school grounds with food that is subsidized with federal funds. Now all of sudden schools are Nazis (which is a truly horrible analogy as the Nazis mass murdered people. Nothing like some gross exaggeration).
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Starving all kids because some are obese is absolutely insane.

Serving healthier food options is not starving children. At schools the focus of the meals should be nutrition. If parents want to treat their children with high calorie less nutritiuos meals outside of schools then sobeit.

Won't teaching them how to eat to live now while they are young help them to not have to join MFP in the future?
  • stephcthomas
    Options
    Well that is the main problem right there. I understand NOT wanting the government to tell you what you can/can't feed your child. It isnt doing that though. It is telling a federally and locally funded entity what it can and can't do with that money. Schools are government products. You send your kids to school every day. In your absence we make decisions about your child-what behaviors are acceptable, what they can wear, what they learn, and so forth. And as a veteran employee of schools, I can say this: the only parenting some children get is when they are *at* school. But heaven forbid we try to tell your kids what they can consume while on school grounds with food that is subsidized with federal funds. Now all of sudden schools are Nazis (which is a truly horrible analogy as the Nazis mass murdered people. Nothing like some gross exaggeration).

I completely agree!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't think schools should be providing lunches. Period.

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

Totally don't agree. For some children school lunches are the best meals they get for the day.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

Totally don't agree. For some children school lunches are the best meals they get for the day.

And for some kids it may be the ONLY meal they get in a day.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So… I was wondering – have I been on MFP so long that I’ve become a snob to the unhealthy eating habits of people. Or, am I on the money here and have a right to get my GRRR on.

Get your GRRR on!

I think it's fabulous to be a snob to unhealthy eating habits, especially when it comes to children. They don't know any better so they will always go for a chemically enhanced, sugar filled, taste sensation and that will make healthy food taste boring or weird. I love that schools will now be supporting the efforts of parents that are trying to encourage healthy eating. These children will not starve and if she feels strongly enough about it she can continue to feed him whatever she likes for breakfast and dinner.

I think some parent fear that their children will learn to like healthy food and it will change what they get to eat at home and will no longer give them the excuse that their children won't eat anything but chicken nuggets to hide behind.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

We're all entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours. But, based on my 10 years of experience teaching at a school where 98.7% of the children lived at or below the poverty level, this notion of the "only" meal proved incorrect. Not only did these children show up to school in high fashion gear, they also had cash on-hand for luxury items, i.e. chicken wings, ice cream, candy bars. So, again, I respectfully disagree with this notion that kids will starve if they aren't fed at school.
  • stephcthomas
    Options
    We're all entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours. But, based on my 10 years of experience teaching at a school where 98.7% of the children lived at or below the poverty level, this notion of the "only" meal proved incorrect. Not only did these children show up to school in high fashion gear, they also had cash on-hand for luxury items, i.e. chicken wings, ice cream, candy bars. So, again, I respectfully disagree with this notion that kids will starve if they aren't fed at school.

I live well above the poverty line and don't have money for luxury items. I must be doing something wrong.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Kids should eat what's put in front of them. Many kids these days don't know how good they have it and unless they have an allergy or some sort of OCD that actually prevents them from eating certain colors or textures, they should eat their lunches.

No offense to the parents here but it seems as if children are indulged too much these days. Kids should get to make some choices in their lives but they also must be told to do things they don't want to or they'll never learn.

I grew up poor, but still fat since we didn't eat many good foods in my house and I was lucky to have fresh veggies or to have veggies twice in one day. I gobbled up fresh steamed broccoli at school and enjoyed it as much as I did the occasional ice cream treats.

I'm glad they've finally implemented this program and I hope they can fix any kinks that come up. But there's no reason for people to get so mad and call for it to be abolished before they even try it out properly! Sure, it won't fit every child or teenager, and some of the faster growing kids may have gotten in more calories and felt fuller from school lunches before, but they weren't getting the proper nutrients to help their bodies process things efficiently.

Another thing, everyone could do to feel hungry every once in a while, it makes you more appreciative of what you have. And most people in the United States actually have much, much more than they really need. I think I'll stop before I start ranting about sustainability and quality of life though, haha.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

As a teacher, I prefer trying to teach kids who aren't hungry. Surely you understand that there are kids whose families rely on thse programs to prevent actual hunger.

You know they have to be interviewed about their income and assets before their child can qualify for those lunches, right?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

I understand your opinion - I live in a community with a high poverty rate as well. And yes, there are those who abuse the system and live in "poverty" all while affording fast food, snacks, nice clothes, electronics, etc.

But there are others - the kids on the fringes - who really are hungry every day. The kids who wolf down their meal because there is nothing in the fridge at home. Mom is too busy scoring her next high to go to the grocery store. Dad is passed out on the couch, so he's not making dinner either. Those kids with the dark circles under their eyes, wearing high water jeans and stained shirts. Those are the kids to worry about. No child should be hungry, and I am perfectly find with spending my tax dollars to make sure they get one solid meal a day.

I work in law enforcement, so I know that this problem exists - we see it all the time. Officers are called to a residence because of a problem and find out that there is no food in the house. Kids are disruptive in school because they are hungry. It happens everywhere - but it happens A LOT in low income communities and neighborhoods.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

I taught in Oakland. My kids all (yes, 100% of them) qualified for FRL.

If we didn't feed them, yes, they WERE going to be hungry. Actually hungry. And my kids didn't have cell phones or fashion gear. They didn't have decent shoes, most of them. None of them were obese, and very few were even overweight.

So I respectfully disagree with your anecdote, by providing one of my own.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    "As a teacher, I prefer trying to teach kids who aren't hungry. Surely you understand that there are kids whose families rely on thse programs to prevent actual hunger.

You know they have to be interviewed about their income and assets before their child can qualify for those lunches, right?"

I'm glad you seem to have experience with a school not abusing the system. I, on the other hand, spent 10 years witnessing nothing but abuse. No proof of income was needed where I taught, nor were interviews conducted.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    But there are others - the kids on the fringes - who really are hungry every day. The kids who wolf down their meal because there is nothing in the fridge at home. Mom is too busy scoring her next high to go to the grocery store. Dad is passed out on the couch, so he's not making dinner either. Those kids with the dark circles under their eyes, wearing high water jeans and stained shirts. Those are the kids to worry about. No child should be hungry, and I am perfectly find with spending my tax dollars to make sure they get one solid meal a day.

This is exactly what I remind my children of when they start to complain about not wanting to eat their vegetables. Starvation is not only a third world problem, there are kids who don't know when/if they will get their next meal right here in the good old USA. They aren't responsible for the poor decisions of their parents, but they get to pay the consequences.

My children pack their lunchs, and I make them eat what I consider to be healty and nutritious. I did have a problem with my younger son being classified as "overweight" because he was in the top 15% of the height/weight chart - he was totally proportional, and growing so fast you could count every rib on his body, but being in the top of the chart means you get labeled overweight even if you have almost no body fat. Part of the problem with obesity in this country is how we define it. If you can't properly define it, how can you really understand it? And if you can't really understand it, how can you hope to correct it effectively?
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is why I pack my kids lunch every day.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

For the children I used to teach in a poor community...sometimes the only meal (s) they got for that day was the breakfast and/or lunch provided at school. Would you rather young children starve?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Or breakfast.

Or dinner.

I taught in Oakland. My kids all (yes, 100% of them) qualified for FRL.

If we didn't feed them, yes, they WERE going to be hungry. Actually hungry. And my kids didn't have cell phones or fashion gear. They didn't have decent shoes, most of them. None of them were obese, and very few were even overweight.

So I respectfully disagree with your anecdote, by providing one of my own.

^This.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know of any children in my life who don't eat a lot of chicken nuggets. I'm sure it's really easy to tell a 7 year old he has to eat hummus and steamed vegetables every day, right? Kids do need a balanced diet, but that doesn't mean it has to be all low-calorie vegetarian food.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I actually had to go in and speak to the Principal regarding this matter because my children require a high fat, high calorie diet and so it's not possible for me to send "healthy options" according to their standards, for my children for lunch. If I do this, they WILL be malnourished & sickly.

However, mine is a very different case.
  • SheikFanel
    Options
    I don't think you're being a snob .I do think your cousin either has poor eating habits that she's carried to her son, worried about the prices of healthier food, or she's let her son win when deciding what to eat. I don't see what harm there is in letting kids eat healthy...I remember watching a documentary and they had passed something similar in the school. They took out all the unhealthy snacks and sodas and replaced them with healthier items. This only made EVERY parent protest and bring in snacks for their kids at recess through the fence. Its pretty damn pathetic.

It wasn't too long ago I was a kid and my weight didn't show what I ate at all. So I could imagine myself getting annoyed about it at first, but over time, getting used to the healthy food and developing a taste for it. I'm not a kid anymore, but now when I eat sweet things I do not enjoy them at all anymore they are far too sweet and tastes processed so I do not like it. I'm sure kids may have grown into the food the way I did on my diet.