To the creators of myfitnesspal

Options
Thank you. I'm only 20 days in and after year's of stubbornness and misconceptions about dieting I am 9 lbs. into my journey.

I find the people on here inspirational and a true testament to the society we live in both in the United States where I live and abroad.

I would like to know, since I'm a numbers guy, how many lbs. per day are lost on average for people on this site? I think it would be beneficial for those like me to know maybe on your main page, "15,000,000 lbs. lost in the past 24 hours" or something like that. In a society where our children aren't playing outside as much and the obesity rate is at such an all-time high, I can't imagine many gifts that are better than the one you are giving each day.

I'm sorry, I'm a guy, but I'm a pretty emotional guy and your site has been a blessing to me. I realize I'm doing the work, but you are supplying the platform and the support network. Thank you.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly where you are coming from! This site has been a huge blessing to me, too. I love tracking my food,and appreciate the forums, where you can find advice and support for just about anything!
  • Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    Completely agree! Nothing worked for me until this site! But then you also have to be ready and not just ready like to lose weight but emotionally etc. ready but when you are man this site is the key (I think anyways).
  • prez1923
    Options
    Completely agree! Nothing worked for me until this site! But then you also have to be ready and not just ready like to lose weight but emotionally etc. ready but when you are man this site is the key (I think anyways).

I am in the midst of a separation. My friend mentioned it to me and I found out shortly after that I know 2 people who have each lost 80 lbs. So I had to find out what it was all about. So for me, the "emotional readiness" comes from the fact that I am living alone independently for the first time in my life at 38 years old. I got scared and my fight or flight decided to fight. And here I am.
  • KerryPozzi
    KerryPozzi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's great you made the decision to better your life. I am assuming that cute little boy in your ticker is your son so that proves that you have so much to live a better life for. I've only been on MFP less than a month but the inspiration and success stories keep me motivated. Friend me if you want a cheering section!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I agree, this site and especially the app make it so easy. I love that I can scan bar-codes to log my food! Not to mention the support system and motivational success stories; I find new MFP benefits all the time!
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel! i am so greatful that this website exists. I, also have tried many things and nothing has gotten me the success that I've accomplished on here. there are no meetings to go to, but you can communicate with thousands of people from the comfort of your own home. All of us are here for the same reason so there is no shame. i would have NEVER posted in the past as much as i do now, but i see other people's incredible journeys and it's such an inspiration to me to work that much harder.

congrats on the 9lbs! that's good for a month! the average 'healthy' weight loss per week is 1-3lbs. after you build some muscle, etc it will probably taper off a little to a few oz to a couple lbs a week. I've only been here since like May and i'm down 24lbs!

i know if I can do it, you can do it! keep at it!

ps: I also experienced a separation of my own recently. we were living together and practically engaged, planning our lives together and in the end it just didn't work out. I was crushed, but I found that over time it's made me work that much harder because I feel so much better when I work out, because I know i'm becoming the best 'me' i can be for myself and not anyone else :)

sorry for my rants! haha Good Luck!!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree, this site and especially the app make it so easy. I love that I can scan bar-codes to log my food! Not to mention the support system and motivational success stories; I find new MFP benefits all the time!

I love the app too. One feature of this site that seems to go unrecognized is the nutrition tracking. Most people only focus on the calories. The nutrition tracker alerted me to a few deficiencies in my diet. Potassium has been a definite problem. I'm not getting nearly enough.
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great post. I agree whole-heartedly.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    LOVE :o)

So glad you found MFP and have seen a 9 LB loss! That's a great start and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you again :) Keep up the great work you're doing!
  • amazon75
    Options
    Great post. Congrats on choosing to start on the journey to healthy.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I agree
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm so in love with this site ! It's changed my life and it's FREE.
  • SqueakGirl
    SqueakGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will just say, I agree too! This site is changing my life!! Good luck on your journey :)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I have built up such a fantastic friends list. They help me through the emotional side of this journey so much. I doubt I would've made the achievements I have if it wasn't for them
  • prez1923
    Options
    i know how you feel! i am so greatful that this website exists. I, also have tried many things and nothing has gotten me the success that I've accomplished on here. there are no meetings to go to, but you can communicate with thousands of people from the comfort of your own home. All of us are here for the same reason so there is no shame. i would have NEVER posted in the past as much as i do now, but i see other people's incredible journeys and it's such an inspiration to me to work that much harder.

congrats on the 9lbs! that's good for a month! the average 'healthy' weight loss per week is 1-3lbs. after you build some muscle, etc it will probably taper off a little to a few oz to a couple lbs a week. I've only been here since like May and i'm down 24lbs!

i know if I can do it, you can do it! keep at it!

ps: I also experienced a separation of my own recently. we were living together and practically engaged, planning our lives together and in the end it just didn't work out. I was crushed, but I found that over time it's made me work that much harder because I feel so much better when I work out, because I know i'm becoming the best 'me' i can be for myself and not anyone else :)

sorry for my rants! haha Good Luck!!

Inspiring...I didn't take it as ranting at all. Proud of you for having the courage to overcome so many obstacles Thanks for your testimonial. Love hearing people's stories.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would like to know, since I'm a numbers guy, how many lbs. per day are lost on average for people on this site? I think it would be beneficial for those like me to know maybe on your main page, "15,000,000 lbs. lost in the past 24 hours" or something like that.
    That sounds like a neat idea, but many people here are trying to gain, or are in maintenance mode, or are stuck :grumble: Not all are here to lose, so the numbers would be skewed by that.

Welcome!
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would agree and the simple fact that it is free is amazing!

GET OFF THE COUCH!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

This!!! Couldn't have said it better. =)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So glad you joined MFP! I agree that this is an awesome sight. I always knew that I was doing something wrong with my diet and exercise, but couldn't figure it out until this site gave me an easy way to see it on a day to day basis. Knowledge is powerful.

Welcome! And I wish you continued success!!
  • RobinBoy
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree, this site is great. My girlfriend turned me on to it. 15 day in and i'm down 5 lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!