unsupportive people

Options
There was a little party at work and I work with children so these volunteers brought these big fatty cream frosted cupcakes. They passed them out to the kids then asked if any of the staff wanted any. Me and a couple of girls declined the cupcake. This one lady began eating a cupcake and said, "How can you refuse a cupcake??" in this voice of utter disbelief. That really got on my nerves...then she said it again. I felt like she was mocking the non-eaters or something! Geez, its hard enough refusing, let alone having someone rub it in your face about how GOOOd a cupcake is! I wanted to say something smart back...but didn't :grumble:

Replies

• violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    Options
    There was a little party at work and I work with children so these volunteers brought these big fatty cream frosted cupcakes. They passed them out to the kids then asked if any of the staff wanted any. Me and a couple of girls declined the cupcake. This one lady began eating a cupcake and said, "How can you refuse a cupcake??" in this voice of utter disbelief. That really got on my nerves...then she said it again. I felt like she was mocking the non-eaters or something! Geez, its hard enough refusing, let alone having someone rub it in your face about how GOOOd a cupcake is! I wanted to say something smart back...but didn't :grumble:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Well she is the one that will pay in the end for eating that cupcake:wink:
  • VonnyTheGermanLadybug
    Options
    Sadly I deal with people like this, too. My friends eat pizza, not just one or two slices but more and I can only have one slice and then they ask something like: why don't you want anymore. Duh because I am trying to lose weight. And they know I am trying to lose weight. Maybe I need to shed some friends as well :explode:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    lol it IS hard to refuse a cupcake... if you love cupcakes. But yea...I know how you feel. It is so rude to hear a person say that you about any choice you make. I refuse a lot of things and people just look at me with sadness. Oh well. My butt is quite happy thanks and next time someone tells you that, well, you just say, I can have it if I really wanted it but I don't.... so yay for me for having self-control.
  • monicayogima
    Options
    she was just saying that to make hersel:happy: f feel better for eating the cupcake
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Next time, go stick your finger into the frosting with a small scoop and stick it in your mouth. Slurp a few times, and then say, "Good idea! Hey thanks for letting me share with you!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sarah0426
    sarah0426 Posts: 26
    Options
    i hate that!! there are 2 new girls at work who are especially like that.. they aren't trying to be mean i don't think, but whenever there's a treat in the office (which is pretty much like every day, sometimes multiple times throughout the day) they are like "eat!! don't you want some?? here, have another piece.. Do you want some of this??" I'm like, no, go away! lol.. I just wish they wouldn't be so persistent! I'm trying to be healthy and lord knows I used to ONLY eat junk food all day, so it's hard enough without pressure from them!
  • Maribel
    Maribel Posts: 20
    Options
    I am glad that someone brought this up, because I recently realized how I was unknowingly unsupportive before I started on my own weight loss journey. That woman probably didn't mean to be mean (although, I agree, please keep some thoughts to yourself). This is the first time in my life (thanks to all of you) that I am this serious about nutrition and exercise. My daughter had her preschool's good buy picnic and everyone was supposed to bring a dessert. I ate my well balanced meal at home and ate fresh strawberries and a banana during the first full hour of the picnic, but I felt like a freak. No one said anything, but I somehow felt ashamed that I wasn't eating gobs and gobs of everything (which is what I usually do). Needless to say, I ended up eating a piece of chocolate flan and three super decadent chocolate chip cookies. I didn't even really want them--it was more like feeling that I stood out. How dumb is that. Banks is so on when he talks about will power--it is the ability to also feel confident in the choices that you make without worrying about what others think. I am realizing that everyday I learn something new, instead of beating myself up. This is what makes this journey/process fun instead of torture. I also remember a baby shower a couple of years back where a co-worker was sipping water instead of a high caloric fruity drink and eating her weight's worth in fried food (like the rest of us), we asked her if she was going to have any of the appetizer (she was not starving herself or anything, merely waiting for the main dish where she was probably going to eat a small/reasonable portion) and she very politely told us that she had worked so hard losing 20 lbs that she couldn't justify pigging out. I always remember her words--she looked great and she looked happy. It made perfect sense. So, I am going to try to follow her lead next time I feel like a freak for not eating everything like I used to. I will confidently explain that I am trying to either lose weight or maintain my weight--if they get it fine, if they don't, not my problem. I am sorry if I am rambling, I just find these conversations so helpful.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Next time, go stick your finger into the frosting with a small scoop and stick it in your mouth. Slurp a few times, and then say, "Good idea! Hey thanks for letting me share with you!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Great idea!!!!
  • beautifulbay
    beautifulbay Posts: 159
    Options
    maybe she really wanted to share her "bliss" with you .... I doubt its meant to be mean ... but when you're on this side of the line... well, .... its not seen that way...you know how we get with chocolate.... oooo.... how can you not eat it?? ... well, I surprise myself many time when I actually DON"T ...and she may have been warding off her own guilty feelings about eating the cupcake, that she probably didn't need.

Good for you for not eating the cupcake! Consider it a tiny victory!
  • violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    Options
    Yeah..i get that feeling all the time...standing out a like freak because I am not pigging out like everyone is!