Best way to lose 15/20 lbs at home

Options
Anyone achieve this and how?

Replies

• leska1216
    Options
    Use MFP properly, everyday.

Log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth.

Drink lots of water.

Open your diary.

Get serious and do it.

You can exercise without leaving the house: walk around the house, climb stairs, jog in place, skip, many exercise programs on tv, get dvd's from local library.

Just get off your butt and do it.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i got a small air elliptical, $100 on Amazon, plus walking with my dog around the neighborhood
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat at a moderate deficit.

That's all that's required for weight loss. You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. It can be achieved through diet alone.

If you do want to exercise at home, a lot of MFP members use workout DVDs (ChaLean, Turbo Fire, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, P90X, etc....there are about a million out there). You can also invest in a treadmill or elliptical, or you can walk and/or jog around your neighborhood. There are lots of choices - find one that's fun for you!
  • studyinstead
    Options
    Exercise and eat at a deficit. It could take you 3 or 4 months to lose that kind of wait though.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Anyone achieve this and how?

I lost quite a lot a few years ago I went from 220 to 130 from eating right drinking water and working out an hour a day you dont need anything fancy to move your feet :)
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, drink plenty of water, but most of all your head has to be in the right place and you have to WANT IT.

Good luck on your journey - there are loads of lovely folks on here who will help and support you if you ask :happy:
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I did it sticking to my calorie goals most days (4-5 a week), doing Jillian videos, and running (ok, jogging for short bursts, then walking/gasping for air/worrying my heart was about to explode. repeat)
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lost 80lbs never stepping foot in a gym.

First and foremost, eat healthy. Second, find a good workout you can stick with.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    There's a free app you should check out called Skimble and its awesome for training at home! Theres a jillion different workouts, and you can choose the length and intensity as well as target specific areas. It's also a website, skimble.com
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did it sticking to my calorie goals most days (4-5 a week), doing Jillian videos, and running (ok, jogging for short bursts, then walking/gasping for air/worrying my heart was about to explode. repeat)

LOL! this is SO me when i run too.....hehe. or the lack thereof.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It took me about 7 weeks to lose 15 lbs biking an hour a day and using MFP only thing is now I have school and I only bike on the weekends I need something I can do literally inside of my house Monday thru Friday to replace those hour bike rides I'm used to
  • lakermrb
    lakermrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate counting calories, so I work to include as many vegetables in to my diet as possible. One goal I have right now is to eat one large tomato each day. I also eat corn on the cob at least 3 times a week. I eat blueberries on my cereal with chocolate almond milk.

Each week, I plan what I want to include in my diet for the upcoming week. And, I use allrecipes.com to plan my dinners. It allows me to print a shopping list for the Whole Foods Market and the Farmers Market. This prevents me from buying junk at Cub or Rainbow foods, where I no longer shop.

I have lost 28 pounds so far and am convinced that diet makes THE difference. I lost most of that weight without any exercise. Plants are the key. The more you can get into your diet the more you will lose. Water too. More water, more weight lost. For me, keeping the protein higher also helps the weight to fall off.

Good luck.Hope this helps.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Log everything! I know I was surprised at how much was actually going in my mouth before I did. Take it slow and steady and don't expect to do it all in a month. I don't go to the gym, I don't excersize everyday but try to occasionally. I have lost about 12 pounds in about 4 weeks. You can do it and just ask for support when you need it. I have gotten alot of my questions answered on here. Feel free to add me if you would like. Good Luck You can Do It! :smile:
  • zillyjilly5888
    zillyjilly5888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this is the quote i always use too!! eat less , move more, im glad im not the only one who swears by it!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    MFP for tracking calories. If your looking for workouts to do checkout YouTube you can find a ton of stuff on there, also NTC (nike training club ) app is awsome! I never would have thought you could get that good of a workout from a phone app but i was wrong! it will work you!! Pinterest can also have some good ones.

And yes it absolutely can be done!!
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Best way to lose at home as opposed to losing in the gym, you mean? Where else would you lose the pounds if not from the home? LOL...

Similar to the above poster, I have already lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks. I don't go to the gym. I exercise 30-50 mins 3-4 days/week at home. I also don't have much to lose (around 25 lbs) and was already at a healthy weight from the start, albeit the higher end (BMI 24). I eat 15% below TDEE.

So your mantra is spot on. Stick to your diet and move just a bit more.

Edit: I meant the third last poster above.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Move more, eat an appropriate amount.

Sometimes it's not about eating less and more about eating "right" ... right for you that is.

Seriously though, find a workout program that works for you and stick to it religiously, work your a** off, literally. Not only will you build muscle, if you're really working out hard, you'll get an energy boost (endorphins or whatever) ... it feels good :)

I say eat an "appropriate" amount because eating too little can halt weight loss. Use MFP ... weigh and measure your food even if it feels silly. Eat the appropriate amount to drop 1 to 2 pounds AT MOST per week. We tend to overestimate the effort expended in exercise so you should definitely eat back some of your exercise calories but don't necessarily need to eat them all back.

Try to add more vegetables every day than you had the day before.

Take a multivitamin.

Listen to your body and start hearing when it asks for fuel ... make food that fuel, not a treat, not something to cure boredom, fuel.

Try to break your meals up into three meals and two to three snacks per day. Train your body to understand that it doesn't need a huge meal to be satisfied, it'll be fine, it'll get more in a couple hours.

Drink water ... learn to like just plain water. Drink it between instead of during your meals.

"At home" workout programs I enjoy that are on the easier end of the spectrum but will still give you a good workout:
    P90 ... if you're pretty strong already P90X or P90X2
    Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
    Focus T25
    Les Mills Combat

If I had to pick just one to recommend, it'd be Les Mills Combat: It requires next to no equipment, has modifications for everything, and will get your heart pumping every day. It even has multiple 60 day schedules with each one getting progressively more difficult. (As an aside, it's the one I'm doing now, and I'm having a blast).

Yes, I realize that 3 of the 4 are Beachbody programs. No, I don't work for them. I just enjoy being able to work out in the comfort of my own living room.

If you have a treadmill or elliptical, I cannot over-stress how fun the "Zombie's Run" smartphone app is.