Wheat Free diet

Options
Is anyone on a wheat free diet? Need to give it a try to see if my stomach issues go away. Any advice. :happy: :laugh:

Replies

• 2ndGenGranola
    Options
    Hi,

We are wheat free. My biggest suggestion would be to not go out and try to substitute for everything. Use items that are naturally wheat free. Some of the wheat subs can cause as many tummy problems (especially those with bean flour) as wheat.

Good luck.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm wheat and legume free. Feel free to look at my diary. think there are gluten-free groups on MFP, and there's a paleo/primal group you can join.
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    I'm paleo so that is wheat free. I love it.
  • runner881
    runner881 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thanks!
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free for the same reason that you are considering it and I will never look back. I have been dealing with IBS symptoms and undiagnosed gut pain for at least ten years and was told I needed to just de-stress more. I went wheat-free/gluten-free last November and can actually say that I am now free of symptoms including the gut pain. It took me a little while to settle out (about four months) and ended up taking out most dairy products about three months ago too (for some reason they often go hand in hand).

I thought is would be much more difficult than it was but once you realize that something is toxic to you, you really don't want it anymore. Good luck!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi,

We are wheat free. My biggest suggestion would be to not go out and try to substitute for everything. Use items that are naturally wheat free. Some of the wheat subs can cause as many tummy problems (especially those with bean flour) as wheat.

Good luck.

This. I've been mostly wheat, grain, legume free since this time last year. When I do cheat I have tummy problems... The book Wheat Belly is good and there are several paleo/primal diet books out there. I liked Primal Blueprint. The best advice I have is to stay away from food in boxes.. read labels. Wheat is in EVERYTHING.

Good Luck!
  • manu25
    Options
    the book wheat belly is pretty good at explaining the concept of wheat free. It was very educational for me. I choose to keep the wheat in my diet but since ready this book, I a lot more educated about the fact that wheat product are basically sugar in my body.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Is anyone on a wheat free diet? Need to give it a try to see if my stomach issues go away. Any advice. :happy: :laugh:

I am. Avoid wheat, rye, barley, and oats. It's not hard. As a matter of fact, you may find that you have TONS of calories to eat by removing those things from your diet. Use those calories for fruit and veggies and your tummy will be happy.

SOURCES: I had GERD, daily acid reflux, loose stools, and brain fog before going gluten free and all those symptoms have gone away.