Some Advice Please!

Options
victoriadw84
victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
Hey everyone!
I know this is a health and fitness site but everyone has such great feedback on any post I have read lol so I thought I would ask if anyone has any allergy fighting recommendations? I have been taking Benadryl along with Advil Cold and Sinus and I cannot get the itchy feeling out of my throat, the runny nose and eyes watering/feeling itchy. This has been going on for about two weeks and I truly cant take it anymore lol. It wakes me up in the middle of the night sneezing etc and it takes me awhile to get back to sleep. I feel very drained throughout the day and its affecting my motivation for exercising and eating properly. Please any suggestions welcomed, I want my energetic, motivated self back :) Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I call sinus infection, get a Z pack of antibiotics, you'll be fine in 3 days
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I say see a doctor.

A few years ago, I was put on a blood pressure pill (Lisonopril) and developed a cough. I had no idea it was this causing it. Thankfully, my BP is normal and no more pills.

But, none of us know your history, other meds, etc.

Good luck.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you're sleeping with the AC on - turn it off.

I have allergies too, and the AC just makes it worse because it dries out the air, and subsequently my nose and throat.

Hope this helps!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you know that it is allergies, here's what I use (I also had years of shots):

-Generic Allegra (OTC)--non-sedating antihistamine, 24 hr version
    -Bausch & Lomb Opcon-A eye drops (OTC). They burn going in, but within a few seconds all the watering and itch will be gone from your eyes and they will stay that way for several hours.

I have previously been prescribed steroid nasal sprays, but you can't get them OTC.

Try to stay indoors early mornings and evenings, as these are the worst pollen times. Windy days are also very bad as the pollen is constantly in the air.

Don't sleep with your windows open.

Use an air conditioner if you have it to filter some of the pollen out of the air.

You may have to work out indoors on high pollen days.

Rinse off before going to bed, and if you have long hair, rinse it out too. Other wise you are just putting pollen all over your bedclothes and shoving your face in it for 8 hours.

Try your best not to touch your face and especially your eyes during the day.

I don't even try to wear my contact lenses on bad allergy days and just go right to my glasses.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you all for the replies! I have seasonal allergies. They seem to be getting worse each year since I was 17. I am taking one low dosage medication for anxiety but it has never conflicted with what I take for allergies. I will take all the suggestions into consideration and try to battle this icky feeling!! Thank you so much!
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    If it really is allergies, such as pollen allergies try finding honey from a LOCAL source, I hear that there is something in local honey that helps allergy sufferers with pollen allergies when they eat their local honey. I might be talking out of my *kitten* also. I've not confirmed this information with anybody but my witch doctor mother who never let me get medical care as a child because she was sure herbs and magic could cure everything.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    see a chiro...and don't think they can't help with allergies..I have 2 adult children who suffer less with them after adjustments.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Going along with geekygoddess. Honey harvested from local hives will help build immunity to pollens indigenous to your area. It might help. You never know until you try it.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    **I also have allergies, but with all the nose blowing and the rawness in your nose, it makes some susceptible to infections. This is a particularly bad year with pollen and mold spores. ick. changing out your AC filters when they get gunky helps, as well as keeping your house dusted and vacuumed. when you enter the house, take your shoes off and keep them near the front door so you don't track pollen through the house. if you can change clothes quickly, it's a good idea. dragging your spore laden clothes into your bedroom isn't doing you any favors.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Try Claritin or Zyrtec (or generics for either one). They can be purchased over the counter. They work much better than Benadryl and have fewer side effects.
  • ribok
    Options
    Another thing that I use along with the OTC stuff is a sinus rinse. I did not think it would work at first BUT it really did help in reducing the running nose.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    If it really is allergies, such as pollen allergies try finding honey from a LOCAL source, I hear that there is something in local honey that helps allergy sufferers with pollen allergies when they eat their local honey. I might be talking out of my *kitten* also. I've not confirmed this information with anybody but my witch doctor mother who never let me get medical care as a child because she was sure herbs and magic could cure everything.

This is actually what I've heard as well, and I don't even have a witch doctor mom. :laugh:

But it has to be local, so probably not store bought. My city's farmer's market actually advertises several local growers for this purpose. I think it builds your resistance to local allergens and pollen because, well, the bees that make it carry that stuff on their bodies while they make their honey. So it's "infused" with regional allergens in the end. Plus, honey is yum-o!