OMG, Really?

Options
juicy011
juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
I'm sitting in the nail shop with my daughter tonight and we're both having a great time getting our nails done. A nice lady (or so I thought) comes in with her grandaughter, about the same age as mine. The nail ladies (lol, don't know what they're called) are from Korea and they're always really sweet, which is why I always go there.

They speak to their customers in English and occasionally among themselves in their native language, which I don't mind at all. When this lady sits down she gets p!ssed, clears her throat and says ummmm, English please....you're supposed to speak English in America...in a very loud voice!!! OH Em Gee, it's not that serious lady.....then she goes on to her grandaughter (read; six years old) and preaches a whole sermon the whole shop can hear about how people that come to America need to speak English only, as that's the native language. WTF

I was horrified for the poor woman, she just didn't say a word after that. Some people are so rude....

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well in Quebec 2 days ago some Quebeckers berated tourists from western Canada for speaking english instead of french. Imagine they would hassel US tourists also. Last time I checked Canada was a bi-lingual country and english is the predominant one used. Guess they don't want tourist to come and spend money to help their economy. And I expect that they would not have hassled anyone speaking any language other than english.

addeded the link: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/video-french-speakers-berating-montreal-tourists-goes-viral-190923485.html

Of course, just like your story not everyone is like that fortunately. But I agree OMG.
  • juicy011
    Options
    wow, I guess it happens everywhere....people take life too serious. The woman actually said she would pray for them when she got home, lol :noway:
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    I am not a native English speaker, and I'm married to another immigrant as well. There is this misconception among some people that those who come to the U.S. don't want to and don't try to learn English. If they only knew how much those people try and wish they could. How many of them study and study. It isn't easy for everyone to learn another language. That lady needs to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    English may be predominate, but the US has like six "official" languages... I don't think Korean is included but English, French, German, Spanish and several others are.... we are a land of immigrants (even the English speaking ones!!!!).
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Aww. She was feeling left out of the conversation. Also, she's stupid.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of angry and disgusted people in this country. Regrettably those emotions are generally misdirected towards the wrong people. People here also often forget that even though our primary language is english, it's far from the only language spoken here.
  • juicy011
    Options
    we are a land of immigrants (even the English speaking ones!!!!).

Exactly! Don't forget where you came from.....
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am not a native English speaker, and I'm married to another immigrant as well. There is this misconception among some people that those who come to the U.S. don't want to and don't try to learn English. If they only knew how much those people try and wish they could. How many of them study and study. It isn't easy for everyone to learn another language. That lady needs to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

I agree. My friend and co-worker is from China and has been here since the early '80s. She speaks English but still has a very heavy accent and articulation difficulties, primarily because she has very little conversation with people in English outside of work, and even there it's very limited. There was another lady from China who works in our building whom my co-worker was introduced to. My co-worker said "hello" in Chinese and the lady politely said, "no, English, please". She's been taking lessons, but if she doesn't reinforce it by speaking English regularly, she will continue to have difficulties. For her it's a comfort thing. She's easily embarrassed when she doesn't know how to say something, which causes her to end the conversation. I keep at her and patiently try to understand what she's trying to say. She's funny as heck though!

That being said, I'm sure the nail technicians speak English perfectly fine, they just wanted to have a private conversation. The patron in the nail shop was ignorant. Maybe we should pray for HER because obviously she needs some compassion and wisdom enough to mind her business and hold her tongue.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    There are a lot of angry and disgusted people in this country. Regrettably those emotions are generally misdirected towards the wrong people. People here also often forget that even though our primary language is english, it's far from the only language spoken here.

THIS
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a b**ch
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    OMGGGG Sounds like the stupid *kitten* here in Quebec... they want us to speak french...
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    English, and I mean AMERICAN English, is the most difficult language to learn. It's a proven fact.

That lady needs to bite her tongue. Literally.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Someone should have spoke up and said if she didn't like it, she didn't need to patronize the woman's business. She was nothing more than an adult bully. I can't stand people like that and will 10 times out of 10 say something. I'm polite, but I get my point across. My husband hates it. I wouldn't want my son seeing an adult push another person around for being different and him think that's ok.

People are jerks.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I totally understand that. I homeschool my children and have taught them to read and obviously speak. I have also taught them basic spanish and basic latin. The English language is very confusing becuase we have rules that don't always apply, silent letters, and words that are used for more than one meaning.
    When my husband was in the military we had a friend that married a lady from Japan, she had kids. They moved in with him, the high school aged boy had such a hard time trying to pick up english, which of course made school near impossible,so he ended up moving back to Japan with his grandparents.
  • alliebedsaul
    Options
    English may be predominate, but the US has like six "official" languages... I don't think Korean is included but English, French, German, Spanish and several others are.... we are a land of immigrants (even the English speaking ones!!!!).

the us has no "official" language
  • davidjohnb17
    davidjohnb17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is rather ironic that she was telling the ladies to stop speaking in their native language just because it isn't native to the USA whilst telling them to speak English...Yeah because English totally doesn't originate from another country in a different continent across a massive ocean :P
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Actually, the United States of America does not have an "official" language. There have been attempts to set one (usually attached to other bills I think), but none have made it through. Some states may have an official state language though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

So not only was that lady a real b-itch, but she was also completely wrong.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Options
    Someone should have spoke up and said if she didn't like it, she didn't need to patronize the woman's business. She was nothing more than an adult bully. I can't stand people like that and will 10 times out of 10 say something. I'm polite, but I get my point across. My husband hates it. I wouldn't want my son seeing an adult push another person around for being different and him think that's ok.

People are jerks.

Agreed. I guess she didn't dislike it so much that she took her business elsewhere. I guess she just HAD to get her nails done for the weekend.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    oh damn i can only cuss in other languages and idc that they choose to speek something other than "my native" touge around me. im just happy some one is willing to remove my caluses for me! ill pay damnit!!!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It may reflect badly upon me, but I would rather go to a nail shop where the ownership, and employees, speak English.

I prefer to be able to converse with the person working on me, that's all.

running for the exit like a scared chicken..