Job Possibly interfering with Exercise? Help?

Options
Hi! I work part-time in a warehouse/factory setting. I lift boxes ranging from 1 to 100 pounds (average I would say is 20lbs for most days) for at least three hours a day, five days a week. It makes me hungry. But the problem is is that I can't say that I'm not sedentary, and there's almost no way to log that type of work as exercise. It doesn't help me lose weight, as I have a lot of underlying muscle and it's only working my arms.

My problem comes in when I get home. I'm starving. Drinking water doesn't calm my hunger, and when I'm home I feel so wore out that I can't bring myself to exercise before my late evening college classes on most days. I don't know if it's plainly lack of motivation or just not being able to manage time as my job doesn't have a set schedule for when we leave at the end of every day.

What are your opinions?
Am I just unmotivated? Are there any tips to not feel so fatigued? Should I be consuming more calories due to my job?

Replies

• questiontheanswers
    Options
    I would absolutely say you're not sedentary. 3 hours a day doing physical activity is significant - I would at least go for lightly active. That will mean an increase in your calories. Try eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, too - that might keep you more satisfied?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I work in a bakery I am surrounded by the enemy all the time Doughnuts waiting to attack when my will is weak, but here is what I do I carry little sancks with me that I can grab and eat quickly that are healthy like almonds, or turkey jerky things like that also keep in mind the harder your working the more you will need to eat. Before you might have been able to get away with say 1300 cals a day and now that your more active 1700 might be better for you. If your hungery there is a reason. You don't have to eat just beacuase you feel like it but you need to ask yourself why?
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    in your settings it asks if your job is sedentary (like sitting at a desk) and moves up through to active (like a construction worker) I am a baker and i set it to "waitress". I don't count my baking as activity (unless i work longer than 8 hours)
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do the same exact thing. Not in a warehouse setting though. I am a mover. 2-3 hours on average I spend lifting heavy boxes, furniture.
    I moved it up from sedentary to the one right above it.
    It sucks though. Demanding jobs take away energy and screw with your workouts. I just got into a full body routine since I cant consistently focus on target muscle groups. But I think you adjust after a while...oh I'd also invest in some 5 hour energies. lol
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR (base metabolic rate)?

If you don't know, start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Figure out your BMR and TDEE, then find where you should be. Always net (that is calories consumed - calories burned) above your BMR. Most people find success in losing weight with a 20% cut to their TDEE.

And, if you have a physical job you are definitely not sedentary.

Edited to add: What you eat is important. Fatigue can signal low iron levels. Are you eating a lot of processed foods, or lean meats, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.?
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Lifting and moving 20 lb. boxes for 3 hours a day 5 days a week is definitely not sedentary. I'd set my activity level higher, like moderately active. I was thinking gee, being active actually gives me more energy....why would she be so tired? Soooooo, I peeked at your diary :tongue:

you need more food. good substantial food like some lean proteins, vegetables and healthy fats. I'd save the processed, fast-foody kind of meals for 1-2x a week to start. Also, I would be more specific with the calorie tracking, actually logging what i eat (the good and the not so good for ya) foods not the quick adds.

they have awesome calorie needs calculators on freedieting dot com, i'm sure there are others as well.
  • downhomedixie13
    Options
    Bring snacks!! I make my own granola bars or my own trail mix and always have it on hand. It's low in calories and keeps my metabolism working all day!! It also helps to curb that hunger sensation that makes me want to shove EVERYTHING in my face when I get home instead of eating a good dinner.

Trail mix can be better because you have to keep going back to the bag a million times for peices so it makes you feel like you are eating more then you actually do. I don't like the store bought varieties because they don't have everything I like in one bag so I waste parts of it or its really high in sodium so thats why I like to make my own. I do a fiber cereal too to help me feel full, almonds, dried fruit and if I'm craving sweets I'll toss in a pinch of chocolate or butterscotch chips that day.

Always good to have a healthy snack on hand to grab for when you have the munchies!! I know if I don't I end up arguing with myself infront of a vending machine..... and that's just not pretty.....
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and complex carbs. Protein will keep you satisfied longer and help build muscle mass, carbs will give you more energy. Just be aware of your carb sources and make sure they are good, not a bag or dorritos.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do the same exact thing. Not in a warehouse setting though. I am a mover. 2-3 hours on average I spend lifting heavy boxes, furniture.

Oh gosh! Sometimes I feel like I could be a professional mover, lol. I only need help when the pounds get up above 120. But yes, it does take a toll. I'll look into the 5 hour energy.

As for the other comments saying that I should probably bump up from sedentary, I can see the point that is being made...but for the rest of the day it's as if I'm barely doing anything. I sit around and do homework or go to class. I also have a problem with eating out of boredom, but thanks to MFP making me self-conscious about what I eat, it hasn't been so bad lately. I assumed that because it wasn't a full-time shift that I shouldn't count it as lightly active or anything other than sedentary. Your comments are kind of making me back track on that thought, though. I'll definitely look into it. But I would still have the issue of not really having the energy (or feeling like I don't have the energy) to exercise...and my job isn't exactly helping me lose weight due to my underlying muscle. :grumble: (yes...I'm grumbling over muscle...but only because it makes losing weight for me kind of difficult.)
  • victorious27
    Options
    Lifting and moving 20 lb. boxes for 3 hours a day 5 days a week is definitely not sedentary. I'd set my activity level higher, like moderately active. I was thinking gee, being active actually gives me more energy....why would she be so tired? Soooooo, I peeked at your diary :tongue:

you need more food. good substantial food like some lean proteins, vegetables and healthy fats. I'd save the processed, fast-foody kind of meals for 1-2x a week to start. Also, I would be more specific with the calorie tracking, actually logging what i eat (the good and the not so good for ya) foods not the quick adds.

they have awesome calorie needs calculators on freedieting dot com, i'm sure there are others as well.

You looked at my dairy... (I'm feeling so ashamed now, haha).
    My family cooks our meals, and because my dad doesn't let me get my portions out before he makes everything...I have to guess at my calories, and can usually only track the bad things I eat. I've been getting better....but I'm really not good at this tracking thing because of all the different components he uses in his cooking.

Edit: I also get overwhelmed on some days and kind of...don't track my food, but generally stay within a good range of my calorie goal. It's a big problem that I'm trying to fix, but it keeps happening. But thank you for the tip, I will definitely be looking into that! :happy:
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OK, when I read the title I thought you must be working mega hours but that is not the case! Clearly you lack motivation or may I say you are using your part-time job as an excuse. There are lots of us working f/t and even with ANOTHER p/t job that can still get a work out in. Not meaning to sound like I don't understand but you did ask and I would not be doing you any favors by pacifying you as others are doing. Push past that wall that is holding you back! Been there, done that! When you fail or succeed, you only have yourself to thank. k?
  • victorious27
    Options
    Always good to have a healthy snack on hand to grab for when you have the munchies!! I know if I don't I end up arguing with myself infront of a vending machine..... and that's just not pretty.....

That sounds exactly like me, if I accidentally bring my card into work with me. I love your idea, though! How do you track the trail mix, calorie-wise?
  • bndayton
    bndayton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with other posters that you are not sedentary. I work at a desk all day, that is definitely sedentary. You probably are not eating enough, which sounds crazy I know. The only thing worse than eating too much is not eating enough, you cause your body to store rather than burn calories. Fiddle with your settings, like the activity level and keep healthy snacks on hand at work (like jerky or nuts, even some veggies) and you should notice a difference. Also, remember that the best way to lose is slowly, which means gradually reducing calorie intake, but you also have to keep balance with your physical activity.
    Long story short, your work is more exercise than you give it credit for and it sounds like your real issue is not eating enough for the workout you are getting at work.
  • victorious27
    Options
    OK, when I read the title I thought you must be working mega hours but that is not the case! Clearly you lack motivation or may I say you are using your part-time job as an excuse. There are lots of us working f/t and even with ANOTHER p/t job that can still get a work out in. Not meaning to sound like I don't understand but you did ask and I would not be doing you any favors by pacifying you as others are doing. Push past that wall that is holding you back! Been there, done that! When you fail or succeed, you only have yourself to thank. k?

I did say possibly for a reason :tongue:

I think it's more of a motivation thing, personally. I don't agree with giving excuses, that's why I wanted to see what others opinions were. Because I work part time an hour away from home, come home and get some homework done before my evening classes that is another 35 minutes away, I do feel overwhelmed, but as you said others do deal with a lot more and still get their fill in. That's why I asked for opinions, so thank you so much for giving me yours! I'll be keeping it in mind for sure next time I stare at the treadmill, :laugh:

Edit; I do understand that my comment sounded like I had absolutely no time, but I do have about 45 minutes between my homework and when I leave. Sorry for any misconceptions with how I typed.
  • victorious27
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree with other posters that you are not sedentary. I work at a desk all day, that is definitely sedentary. You probably are not eating enough, which sounds crazy I know. The only thing worse than eating too much is not eating enough, you cause your body to store rather than burn calories. Fiddle with your settings, like the activity level and keep healthy snacks on hand at work (like jerky or nuts, even some veggies) and you should notice a difference. Also, remember that the best way to lose is slowly, which means gradually reducing calorie intake, but you also have to keep balance with your physical activity.
    Long story short, your work is more exercise than you give it credit for and it sounds like your real issue is not eating enough for the workout you are getting at work.

This is something I'm definitely going to look into, as so many have mentioned it. :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I got my first ever full time job in May and it's very active (I never get a chance to sit besides my coffee breaks and bathroom breaks) and I'm lifting lots of trays (they're only about 10 pounds but that adds up when you're doing it for hours and sometimes it's over my head) and only now am I STARTING to get energy when I get home. Then I have to do dishes, make supper, and other housework so for the longest time I just didn't do anything after work. I came home and was DEAD. But I'm slowly starting to be able to workout. My biggest thing is the second I get home to not sit down. Just get straight at the housework and working out before I have a chance to relax. Some days it 's VERY tough to finish my workout but at least it's something.

Anyway, I do think that you need to change your activity level and eat more. That would be why you're always hungry. Just take it slowly but you'll be able to find a balance soon. I had to start eating more when I got this job just to keep my energy up and keep me from passing out at work.
  • victorious27
    Options
    I completely understand. I got my first ever full time job in May and it's very active (I never get a chance to sit besides my coffee breaks and bathroom breaks) and I'm lifting lots of trays (they're only about 10 pounds but that adds up when you're doing it for hours and sometimes it's over my head) and only now am I STARTING to get energy when I get home. Then I have to do dishes, make supper, and other housework so for the longest time I just didn't do anything after work. I came home and was DEAD. But I'm slowly starting to be able to workout. My biggest thing is the second I get home to not sit down. Just get straight at the housework and working out before I have a chance to relax. Some days it 's VERY tough to finish my workout but at least it's something.

Anyway, I do think that you need to change your activity level and eat more. That would be why you're always hungry. Just take it slowly but you'll be able to find a balance soon. I had to start eating more when I got this job just to keep my energy up and keep me from passing out at work.

Weight does add up very quickly when you do it consistently, so I will not be judging in that area. My job is also part time, so you probably do a lot more than I do. Either way, thank you. I really do enjoy knowing that other people have very draining jobs (whether full or part time) and accept that other people react differently. It's nice knowing that there are people here who relate, even if the cases aren't the same. :happy:
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Weight does add up very quickly when you do it consistently, so I will not be judging in that area. My job is also part time, so you probably do a lot more than I do. Either way, thank you. I really do enjoy knowing that other people have very draining jobs (whether full or part time) and accept that other people react differently. It's nice knowing that there are people here who relate, even if the cases aren't the same. :happy:

People definitely do react differently. Most people handle full time jobs, children, a husband/wife, a clean house, etc, etc without complaining so I always felt so pathetic if I thought about how I felt soo drained and couldn't workout and wah wah wah so it took a while to give myself a break and not compare myself to others.
  • victorious27
    Options

People definitely do react differently. Most people handle full time jobs, children, a husband/wife, a clean house, etc, etc without complaining so I always felt so pathetic if I thought about how I felt soo drained and couldn't workout and wah wah wah so it took a while to give myself a break and not compare myself to others.

Much agreed. I only have my part-time job and college and I feel as if I could sleep for days on end. I'll probably keel over when I step into full-time territory, :laugh:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Is this job a fairly recent thing? It might just take some time to get adjusted to the change. Have you been checked for mono, that could be causing your fatigue. My DD had it and couldn't even drag herself out of bed.

I'm a full time worker and mom and won't be judgmental. It CAN be hard to find time and motivation to workout, especially when you're exhausted. Maybe just force yourself to do it a couple of times a week until it becomes habit.