NSV: Related to female hormones

Options
Before I get into this: Fair warning that I'm going to make very vague references to something that might squick some people out!

Anyway, for the last five years or so I have been going back and forth to different GYNs and having tests done to try and figure out what is going on with my body. I would go months without having a cycle (3-6) and then have one that was ridiculously long and heavy (I'm talking 4-5 weeks long, people). Test after test came back within normal limits and I was sent home with a prescription to kick start things. Things would always go back to waiting several months and then having a horrible cycle out of the blue.

Today, I had my first back-to-normal period. Well, technically last month I did, I guess. But I started one exactly a month after last month's, and everything else related to it has been normal. I may not be losing pounds, but my body fat percentage has been steadily dropping and my doctors have told me that this can have a huge impact on all things hormonal. It's just one of those things that has really been bothering me for years now, and to finally be back to normal feels good. My body is just starting to feel like it used to, where I'm not having crazy mood swings and I'm generally in a good mood.

Hopefully I didn't gross anyone out or break any rules with this. I'm pretty proud of my non-scale victory today. I tackled my health problems through healthy diet and consistent exercise!

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    And THAT is the main reason anyone should have for getting healthy. Good for you!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

People are often amazed at the effect extra weight (or, in your case, losing weight) can have on their health!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! The way the body works is an amazing thing!
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Part of my decision to lower my bodyfat has been hormonal issues! I have symptoms similar to PCOS but don't seem to actually have it. I'm pretty sure it's related to my 30%BF...

Anyway, congrats on having that improvement!! Has it just been from eating right or exercise too?
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your NSV! I had heard of this quite a bit. Unfortunately for me it seems that the more weight I lose they crankier/B****ier I get around that time of the month. Which uber sucks for my boyfriend. Strange thing is I don't remember being that cranky before I even gained the weight!!!
  • Triciacannon
    Triciacannon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So great!

I started gaining weight after going on BC about 18 months ago, but that also coincided with some lifestyle changes as well, so I'm not sure I can blame my 50 lb weight gain entirely on the BC, though I'd like to. I'm hoping to get an IUD in another couple of months here, and have my fingers crossed that the weight loss will be dramatic after stopping taking hormones, but who knows. But every little step helps, so congrats on your NSV!
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    So great!

I started gaining weight after going on BC about 18 months ago, but that also coincided with some lifestyle changes as well, so I'm not sure I can blame my 50 lb weight gain entirely on the BC, though I'd like to. I'm hoping to get an IUD in another couple of months here, and have my fingers crossed that the weight loss will be dramatic after stopping taking hormones, but who knows. But every little step helps, so congrats on your NSV!
    Not to scare you off an IUD, but look into the one you are getting first. I have Paraguard which is hormone free. I got it for the express reason that I had gained weight on other methods. I had my fourth child last year and actually lost 10 pounds from having her. I was so happy to be 10 lbs lighter than my pre preganancy weight (which was still overweight but loss none the less). I got the Paraguard IUD and promptly gained 20 lbs! IDK if it was just water weight, or what. I did some reading on the internet and it is pretty common. My TOM was also the worst it has been in my life for the first 3 cycles. That being said I have lost and felt better since I have been tracking my calories. So maybe it wasn't the IUD but me? Just food for thought (pun intended :)
  • Triciacannon
    Triciacannon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So great!

Not to scare you off an IUD, but look into the one you are getting first. I have Paraguard which is hormone free. I got it for the express reason that I had gained weight on other methods. I had my fourth child last year and actually lost 10 pounds from having her. I was so happy to be 10 lbs lighter than my pre preganancy weight (which was still overweight but loss none the less). I got the Paraguard IUD and promptly gained 20 lbs! IDK if it was just water weight, or what. I did some reading on the internet and it is pretty common. My TOM was also the worst it has been in my life for the first 3 cycles. That being said I have lost and felt better since I have been tracking my calories. So maybe it wasn't the IUD but me? Just food for thought (pun intended :)

Thanks for that info! I haven't even talked to my dr about an IUD yet, so I don't know what her advice will be. I have heard that cramps and flow are So. Much. worse with an IUD, and on my current BC, the whole things is basically non-existent. But, anxiety and other issues are really flared up by the hormones, so I just have to weight the pros and cons! I appreciate knowing about your experience, though!
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What an awesome NSV! I wonder if my acne, which definitely flares up every month, will decrease as my body fat decreases? I guess time will tell. That would be an awesome perk.

Just my two cents on the IUD, I have Mirena (small amount of hormones but they stay pretty localized) and I don't have periods at all. Zip. And no cramping, although I didn't have cramping before. So, everyone is different!
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Part of my decision to lower my bodyfat has been hormonal issues! I have symptoms similar to PCOS but don't seem to actually have it. I'm pretty sure it's related to my 30%BF...

Anyway, congrats on having that improvement!! Has it just been from eating right or exercise too?

I actually am more consistent with my exercise than I am with my food. I typically stay close to my calorie range, but I do go over on a regular basis. I'm doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and have seen the most body fat % loss from her workouts. I guess any weight training focused program would be best.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Because of non-weight related hormone issues from when I was a kid, I never got a period. It wasn't till after I had my daughter, that I started having regular periods.

This is a weird NSV, but I hope that the more weight I lose, I might actually keep having a period.
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had blood sugar regulation problems prior to my hysterectomy in July, which got worse cyclically. Today, I went to have blood sugar done at the lab, which means I fasted. I also had to go to physical therapy before the lab, so it's not like I went first thing in the morning. Prior to surgery, going 13 straight hours without food meant shaking, sweating, and irritability. Today, it meant I was a bit hungry by the time I got home. As I'm learning to trust this phenomenon, it gets easier not to panic at the first sign of hunger, meaning I can make rational choices like waiting half an hour, to get something healthy, rather than a burger at the first drive thru I find. I think this is going to make a huge difference in my life!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome NSV!!! It's not all about changes in appearance... changes in your health are far more important! Congrats!!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Noone ever tells us that fat cells create estrone which is a type of estrogen, so it totally makes sense that if you have high percentage body fat, your body is confused...

Also, I have a Mirena IUD. Had awful cramping and spotting for the first 3 months, and only 2 very light periods since then. All the symptoms of PMS are still there though. I've had it for about a year and a half.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!