Almond milk

Options
124»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Its nothing like milk. I like the vanilla and it is excellent with muesli or cereal, so it might be good for you in the morning.

To me and my son, the unsweetened tastes like milk of magnesia. With seltzer, it is actually kind of pleasant and with a touch of flavored syrup it tastes like the soda in an ice cream soda with very few extra calories. That's probably true with the sweetened almond milk too (but with more calories).
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I want to try it but I HATE whole almonds, its the texture I think that I don't like so I can't really remember what almonds actually taste like!
    I think I will pick up the smallest pack I can find of the milk, I drink black tea mostly but like the odd coffee with milk occasionally, and of course its more variety in the diet!
  • momof2TONI
    Options
    I always have almond milk in my fridge. I personally don't like to drink it by itself, but I do love it in a bowl of cereal or to use in my shake/protein drinks.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    IMO it's good for use with cereal or in smoothies or protein shakes but not good to drink straight and you can't use it as a replacement for milk with cooking
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first carton last weekend and absolutely love the Silk vanilla flavor. I was scared to try it too but I kept hearing how good it was. I'm pretty certain it's the only kind of milk I'll buy from now on aside from my almost 2 year old's whole milk.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that it's better to make almond milk yourself, as the industry-produced ones usually contain too many preservatives, other additives, and often sugar. Here's a very easy recipe: http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/03/how_to_make_almond_milk_recipe_1.html
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that it's better to make almond milk yourself, as the industry-produced ones usually contain too many preservatives, other additives, and often sugar. Here's a very easy recipe: http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/03/how_to_make_almond_milk_recipe_1.html
    Looks reasonably easy, I would not be adding the maple syrup or the honey though as I am low carbing.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    I luv almond milk! It tastes way better than soy milk. I drink the unsweetened stuff on it's own and actually find the sweetened stuff too sweet for me. A word of warning: if you buy the Blue Diamond brand, they add calcium but not vitamin D which is what you need to absorb the calcium. (This is in Canada. Maybe in the U.S. they do add vitamin D.) So either choose a different brand or take a vitamin D pill when drinking it. Every other brand I've come across has added both calcium and vitamin D.