Bread Choices

Options

Replies

• tubaman58
    Options
    If you are counting calaries, it's hard to beat Pepperidge Farm thin sliced.... several varieties
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm one lucky lady. My husband :heart: bakes our bread for us (it's his thing) and so I always have fresh spelt, rye or wholemeal straight and wholemeal sourdough to choose from. Just stoneground flour, water, fresh yeast, salt and that's it.

Mavis
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I eat Soya and Lindseed bread, it is very filling and is great on the Low GI diet which means that your energy levels will be steady. But you need to find the right one for you.
  • NewNalu
    Options
    You keep your bread in your fridge?????

I also keep mine in the fridge... and before that, the freezer :)

Yup. Freezer to fridge is the way to go, then perhaps a quick toast in the oven. I've been noticing that some of the organic breads like Ezekiel are getting stocked in the freezer section of the store anyways, so their cold when you buy them.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I like to bake my own. I make sourdough from scratch using a sourdough starter. All I put in it is water, flour, and starter. It's wonderful.

I don't eat a lot of it since bread in general tends to be high in calories and I'd rather have other things, but it's my bread of choice.

If I have to have a store-bought option, I go with Sara Lee wheat at 45 calories/slice or Nature's Harvest wheat at 50 calories/slice. I enjoy the taste of both brands. For tortillas I usually use La Tortilla Factory's low carb tortillas. They're 50 calories for a small/soft taco size or 80 calories for a larger (small burrito) size.

I'm not a low carb fan, just like to keep calories in check. These options work for me because I still like my bread products but would rather spend the calories on something else. It's a nice compromise.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'll probably take some heat for this but... I'd suggest (if you're a white bread fan) getting Wonder Smart White. For 2 slices it's 100 calories, 1g fat, 5g fiber and 5g protein - AND it feels and tastes like white bread... unlike a lot of other light breads. It's my low-cal favorite. I'm not big on multi-grain, wheat, etc. so this is the best option I've found in white bread.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat white bread. I think it tastes a lot better, and when it comes down to it I don't think it makes much of a difference.
    I do like 9 grain bread though! That tastes good with certain kinds of food too

I'm with you on this. I'll eat low calorie white bread. It allows me to eat other things that are far more nutritious along with it. Some of those "healthy" breads are very high in calories. I'd rather not get all my calories from a few slices of bread.
  • menyeca71
    Options
    I'm one lucky lady. My husband :heart: bakes our bread for us (it's his thing) and so I always have fresh spelt, rye or wholemeal straight and wholemeal sourdough to choose from. Just stoneground flour, water, fresh yeast, salt and that's it.

Mavis
  • menyeca71
    Options

Mavis

I love homemade bread as well.. but I found out it was high in calories.. 160 for just 1 slice!!
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't like white bread anymore. Took me awhile to switch over to whole wheat, but I'm hooked on it now, used to hate it. I find there's a huuuge range of taste for whole wheat bread, just have to find one you like (some of them are down-right nasty). I prefer a sour dough whole wheat, or multigrain. Costco has awesome multigrain triangle buns I really like.

I get all my bread from bakeries now to avoid preservatives, which means I also freeze my bread because otherwise it molds very fast. Just pop it in the toaster and it's good as new!

Regarding the refrigeration of eggs: http://www.quora.com/Should-eggs-be-stored-in-the-fridge-or-not-and-what-science-supports-this
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat potato bread that is sold in just a normal grocery store.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat for the past couple of years: no high fructose corn syrup, 14 grams of whole grain, 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per slice! Very yummy...I have a slice every morning with my egg whites! :)

Me too! Love it! 120 calories for 2 slices! Yum, now I want a PBJ (Smuckers natural creamy PB, Polamer sugar free seedless blackberry preserves, and 2 slices Natures own 100% whole wheat bread... Yum!) My lunch of choice! :smile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever kind of bread you like. Just work it in like you would anything else. My hubby and I have decided we really like ciabata bread. Or wheat. Or white. Or marble rye...
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bread is a beautiful thing, lol! There are so many choices that it can become overwhelming. I don't think you have to give up anything that you really enjoy, you're just going to have to find the balance to fit it into your menu. I eat a slice of white toast bread each morning with my breakfast. Granted, I do eat the 35 calorie bread since I don't want to waste my calories on something I like but don't love. I had home made bread today with my lunch, it was 300 calories for half a loaf but I wanted it so I fit it! I think sitting down and figuring out what you really want from your bread is the first step in finding one that you can really enjoy :smile:
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    I have used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat for the past couple of years: no high fructose corn syrup, 14 grams of whole grain, 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per slice!

Seconded.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    I have used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat for the past couple of years: no high fructose corn syrup, 14 grams of whole grain, 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per slice! Very yummy...I have a slice every morning with my egg whites! :)

Me too! Love it! 120 calories for 2 slices! Yum, now I want a PBJ (Smuckers natural creamy PB, Polamer sugar free seedless blackberry preserves, and 2 slices Natures own 100% whole wheat bread... Yum!) My lunch of choice! :smile: :drinker: :bigsmile:

My go to pre workout snack is half a round with peanut butter, cottage cheese, and black pepper. The package lasts twice as long too.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Everfresh sprouted organic wheat or spelt bread.
    Only has one ingredient. Very dense and filling for an 120 calorie, 50g slice. And slightly sweet naturally.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Try to find a "German" bakery. You cant find better breads in the whole wide world than in Germany!

Heck yeah! Moist, nutty, delicious - it feels like you're eating *something*, not just a piece of cardboard to put your meat on. The one I like is ~150 cals a slice, but I don't want more.

I tried to like some of the whole/wheat grain options that are convenient around here. Most have Omega fats added, and I swear I can taste the fish in em :/ X-free stuff, also not delicious, imo.
  • shan1204
    Options
    I view bread as a treat, so I don't have it more than once or maximum twice a week. I only eat home-baked breads and it will tend to be anything from pittas to lebanese flat breads or even from a loaf we have baked. I will make certain that I limit myself to 1 small pitta or a slice of home baked bread. A little of what you enjoy every once in a while is a good thing and as a result I refuse to eat the processed cr*p sold in supermarkets and even most bakeries!

PS Eggs should NOT be kept in the fridge. The shells are porous and your fridge will end up dehydrating the contents of the egg and possibly tainting the taste - this is aside from the bacteria present in your fridge!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    WHOA! Eggs DO go in the fridge! Bacteria! OMG!

I've never kept eggs in the fridge. Its perfectly fine to keep them in cool and dry area.

i do abit of both as i occasionally buy a tray of 15 eggs and the built in 'egg tray' in my fridge only holds 6 eggs so there are always 6 eggs in the fridge and the rest in the cupboard lol. i have no idea why i do this. but then again, what is the point of having those trays in the fridge if you are not meant to keep eggs there?