What would a 1200 calorie diet look like

Options
/ what should it look like :)

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question... Do you know how unhealthy only 1200 calories is?
  • julesdaisyjaz
    Options
    its not unheathly i eat 1200 and i eat loads...even chocolate.....its the choice of foods!!!!
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Well, this was mine today, despite the notion on here that nobody should ever eat just 1200cals. I had the same for lunch and dinner since I just made black bean soup. I usually have a big 40g protein shake for breakfast but I ran out! I ran out of fresh fruit too!

Breakfast
    Vitalicious - Vitatops (Deep Chocolate), 1 VitaTop (55 g or 2 oz)

Lunch
    Bush's - Best Black Beans Frijoles Negros*, 390 g
    Mrs Renfro's - Black Bean Salsa, 0.25 container (462 g (2 tbsp) ea.)
    Kroger - Diced Green Chile Peppers, 0.13 container (8 tbsp ea.)
    Del Monte - Whole Kernel Corn (No Salt Added), 0.25 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips, 1/4 cup
    Kroger - Fat Free Sour Cream / 2 Tbsp. / 20 Calories, 2 tbsp/ 30 g
    Kitchen Basics - Unsalted Vegetable Stock, 60 ml

Dinner
    Bush's - Best Black Beans Frijoles Negros*, 390 g
    Mrs Renfro's - Black Bean Salsa, 0.25 container (462 g (2 tbsp) ea.)
    Kroger - Diced Green Chile Peppers, 0.13 container (8 tbsp ea.)
    Del Monte - Whole Kernel Corn (No Salt Added), 0.25 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Kroger - Santa Fe Style Tortilla Strips, 1/4 cup
    Kroger - Fat Free Sour Cream / 2 Tbsp. / 20 Calories, 2 tbsp/ 30 g
    Kitchen Basics - Unsalted Vegetable Stock, 60 ml

Snacks
    Kroger - Multigrain Thin Sandwich Bun, 0.5 thin bun 43g
    Kroger - Provolone Sliced Cheese, 1 slice
    Oscar Mayer - Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast, 4 Slices

Totals 1,210 235 22 74 56 44

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for asking..........no throwing of barbs or sniping.....Im merely responding innocuously

I have lost 50 pounds in the last 55 days or so. Since I started my circuit training and some strength training I can hardly net 1000 let alone 1200 or more. Its not 'zactly on purpose. I eat good. My diet is quite varied. I just find that by the end of the day Im tired, Im done working out and Im full and dont want to eat more. I suspect its working for me because I have a lot to lose. Im 6' tall and want to lose about 100 more pounds. Ive heard it said that the more you have to lose the easier it is to lose.....at least in the beginning.

I cannot, for the life of me grasp the whole concept of "eating back your calories". I know the whole starvation mode thing. I consume about 1300 calories average UNTIL I subtract my "exercise calories" then I bottom out with a net of 400 to 600. Everything I read here says that's not good. But isnt it more individual than that? Ive been consistently losing weight, I feel great, I have tons of energy, I dont crave anything, Im not overly tired and it just seems to be working.

FYI.......I have a couple health issues aside from the weight so I am doing this with a physicians approval as well as a dietician and nutritionist.

Thanks for any input
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    This is another day from this week. Normally I don't eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch but I've been doing it more recently just because I've been making larger dishes. Usually I get closer to 100g of protein but this has been a rough week with a back problem so at least I haven't needed it so much after working out because I've been laying flat on the couch, lol.

Breakfast
    Quaker - Life Banana Nut Bread Soft Baked Bar, 1 bar 42g

Lunch
    Buitoni - Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce 125 g, 62.5 g
    Udi's - Gluten Free Pizza Crust, 2.1 oz (119g)
    John Soules Foods - Fully Cooked Rotisserie Style Chicken Breast Strips, 42 G (3oz)
    Kroger - Provolone Sliced Cheese, 1.5 slice
    Garlic - Raw, 1.5 cloves
    Veg - Green Onion, 1/8 cup chopped
    Pepper - Banana, raw, 0.5 small (4" long)
    Vegetable (Usda Facts) - Red Onion - Chopped, 0.15 cup
    Red Bell Pepper - Red Bell Pepper, 0.15 pepper

Dinner
    Buitoni - Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce 125 g, 62.5 g
    Udi's - Gluten Free Pizza Crust, 2.1 oz (119g)
    John Soules Foods - Fully Cooked Rotisserie Style Chicken Breast Strips, 42 G (3oz)
    Kroger - Provolone Sliced Cheese, 1.5 slice
    Garlic - Raw, 1.5 cloves
    Veg - Green Onion, 1/8 cup chopped
    Pepper - Banana, raw, 0.5 small (4" long)
    Vegetable (Usda Facts) - Red Onion - Chopped, 0.15 cup
    Red Bell Pepper - Red Bell Pepper, 0.15 pepper

Snacks
    Beverages-Silk - Pure Almond Vanilla , 1 cup
    Great Value - Frozen Fruit, Strawberry, Peach, Mango & Pineapple, 1.33 cup
    Tap Room 21 Brewing Company - Beer - Lager, 12 oz
    Nature's Way Alive! Women's Energy Vitamin - Multivitamin & Multimineral, 1 tablet
    Sustenex Gummies - Probiotic, 1 piece

Totals 1,209 149 37 53 17 63

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I am in the 1100-1300 range almost every day.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Forgive me for asking..........no throwing of barbs or sniping.....Im merely responding innocuously

I have lost 50 pounds in the last 55 days or so. Since I started my circuit training and some strength training I can hardly net 1000 let alone 1200 or more. Its not 'zactly on purpose. I eat good. My diet is quite varied. I just find that by the end of the day Im tired, Im done working out and Im full and dont want to eat more. I suspect its working for me because I have a lot to lose. Im 6' tall and want to lose about 100 more pounds. Ive heard it said that the more you have to lose the easier it is to lose.....at least in the beginning.

I cannot, for the life of me grasp the whole concept of "eating back your calories". I know the whole starvation mode thing. I consume about 1300 calories average UNTIL I subtract my "exercise calories" then I bottom out with a net of 400 to 600. Everything I read here says that's not good. But isnt it more individual than that? Ive been consistently losing weight, I feel great, I have tons of energy, I dont crave anything, Im not overly tired and it just seems to be working.

FYI.......I have a couple health issues aside from the weight so I am doing this with a physicians approval as well as a dietician and nutritionist.

Thanks for any input

I don't NET 1200 either after working out. I'm not particularly concerned. I don't think that you can say that a strict 1200net necessarily applies to everybody. Will I eventually slowly add calories back? Likely yes, but right now I feel full of energy and am completely satisfied with what I'm eating. I have great workouts and an all around positive response to 1200ish calories. Sure, if I feel like I need more one day, I don't have an issue with consuming more but I'm not going to do so if I feel fully healthy, happy, and energetic as I do 99% of the time. My body is responding well both physically and mentally so I don't see a problem unless that changes.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MFP has a lot of people set up on 1200 calories it's fine. If you don't know what to eat. Google it. Most people here are trying to figure it for themselves. Follow and stay within the MFP guide lines until you get a sense of what works for you. That's what this site is for. You already must know (I'm assuming) what healthy and unhealthy foods are.
    Fruits - Vegetables - Proteins - Dairy - Whole Grains.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think that learning to stop eating when you are not hungry has been a big thing for me. I used to mindlessly snack in the evenings even though I ate pretty healthily during the day. Since I started logging my food I have cut out nearly all of this snacking.

I think each individual is an individual - stop eating when you are hungry, don't force yourself to eat more if you are full! Like Resty says - she has loads of energy and has the approval of health professionals - who am I to argue with that. In fact, I am relieved that this is so because we are all different and common sense must rule!
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    when i eat 1200 i end up feeling extremely full...and going over 1200 over stuffed...I do believe in the whole it being different for each individual....that being said taylorswiftfan i think my food diary is open to you...and from today onwards I'm striving for a healthier 1200 food options...see if you like any dish any day and feel free to ask for recipes....!

and I would rather divide your food into 5 smaller meals...helps keeping you full throughout the day!
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question... Do you know how unhealthy only 1200 calories is?

not true. 1200 calories is not necessarily unhealthy.
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had some of the same questions that you have. I eat very healthy now and exercise..I am starting my 4th week on MFP. I am eating lots of veggies and the calories don't add up that fast with them. Many days I am under my calorie goal and I never eat my extra exercise calories. I feel great.. I think part of this whole get healthy and loose weight thing is also to learn not to over eat...and forcing your self to eat just to get a certain calorie count is over eating..learning to eat only if your hungry!!
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    I'm (trying to) stick to 1200 cals. Add me if you want to look at my diary :)
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Thanks for any input

I don't NET 1200 either after working out. I'm not particularly concerned. I don't think that you can say that a strict 1200net necessarily applies to everybody. Will I eventually slowly add calories back? Likely yes, but right now I feel full of energy and am completely satisfied with what I'm eating. I have great workouts and an all around positive response to 1200ish calories. Sure, if I feel like I need more one day, I don't have an issue with consuming more but I'm not going to do so if I feel fully healthy, happy, and energetic as I do 99% of the time. My body is responding well both physically and mentally so I don't see a problem unless that changes.

You can also look at my diary My goals are 1000 and I dont have any trouble getting full or eating what I want.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Thanks for any input

You can also look at my diary My goals are 1000 and I dont have any trouble getting full or eating what I want.

Now do YOU have a doctor supervising your weight loss? 1000 calories IS an unhealthy goal: 1200 is a proven bare minimum across ages and heights. You don't have a huge weight loss, so I know you had to manually tweak your goal calories against MFP recommendations.
  • delaney056
    Options

1,200 calories is not necessarily unhealthy. It all depends on your BMR and TDEE.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    One foot long sandwich from subway, Jersey Mikes, or Quizno's.... That's it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, 1200 calories would look like this ---> :sad:

1200 is generally considered the bare minimum. I don't want to get by on the bare minimum.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Mine has been basically that since January. My diary is open. I'm small so I don't need that much food. And if you see my pics I am certainly not starving myself.
  • LailaB123
    LailaB123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think that learning to stop eating when you are not hungry has been a big thing for me. I used to mindlessly snack in the evenings even though I ate pretty healthily during the day. Since I started logging my food I have cut out nearly all of this snacking.

I think each individual is an individual - stop eating when you are hungry, don't force yourself to eat more if you are full! Like Resty says - she has loads of energy and has the approval of health professionals - who am I to argue with that. In fact, I am relieved that this is so because we are all different and common sense must rule!

Thank you for saying this - I am in the same "snacking" boat, and thought I was alone. I'm very new at MFP, and also find that my nighttime snacking is more under control. I find that I'm making more filling choices, and eating less. Thank you!!