How do you stay motivated during your workout?!?!

Options
Hi,

I've noticed lately that during some of my workouts, when I hit the 20 minute mark it feels like I am hitting a wall, and want to just give up...I've started to try interval training after the 20 minute mark to stay motivated or I will text (aka - annoy my friends at work) for support. The only time that this does not happen to me is when I am in the pool, hiking, or playing golf :)

What do you do to break thru the walls during your workout?!?!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

~J

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I no longer do cardio on cardio machines because I find it boring and each workout seems to last forever. I now do all of my cardio through fitness classes a couple times a week and the rest of the time I weight lift which changes constantly. Changing things up is key to keeping yourself from getting bored as well as from allowing your body to get too used to one thing.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think about that small dessert that I'm going to have when I'm watching TV at night and how I'm earning it. Seriously!
  • Beautiful189
    Options
    My Ipod.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I find that I have no problems when I'm working out outside- even if the weather sucks. That's the key for me.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I look down at my thighs still jiggling and it motivates me to keep going.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you are doing cardio on machines, try to switch it up and move to something else. Or find your "power" song. When I was feeling unmotivated through the workout, I would just play some of my favorite songs that pump me up. I would tell myself I HAD to make it through the whole song..
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't use machines, and I'm just beginning, so I'm no expert... But what HAS motivated me to get up and go for any duration is the wonderful man I'm with and my kids.

I imagine myself going out and doing stuff with all of them and not holding them back, and I can see the happiness in my kids' eyes and the look of pride on my SO's face.... and I can't help but keep going. I may have to stop because of physical barriers, but I will NOT stop out of boredom. I can't be that selfish.
  • miamac1
    Options
    I make sure that if I'm going to do Cardio, it's something that I'm not allowed to stop at. By that I mean, take part in a class, with so many people around you don't want to stop or go out a run - you always have to return home even if you walk it you're still getting the benefit of Cardio. Make sure you're changing your music regularly to stuff that makes you want to move. Or do something where you don't even realise you're doing Cardio like boxing :)
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Same way you manage anything. A plan each time you go, a specific goal , a desired outcome and a reward for hitting targets. Just going to the gym becomes a reason to not go.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    As a slight addition, you actually have not said what your workout involves or how you are doing hiit.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've found taking classes to be very motivating compared to working out (and getting bored) on my own.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For weights, now that I do them at home, I decide what I'm going to do and just plain do it. It may require a break in the middle, where I'll start a load of laundry or catch up on Words with Friends or something, but I know if I want results, I gotta put in the time.

Cardio, I do outside, so if I hit a wall when I'm 20 minutes from home, it's still going to take me 20 minutes at LEAST to get home. If I'm 2 miles out, it'll take me less than 20 minutes to run home, or closer to 35 minutes to walk home. But either way, I'm putting in the mileage.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Okay I read that your body burns more fat after 20 minutes of carido somewhere, and I have no idea if it's true, but it helps me past that 20 min mark on elliptical.

Again, I don't really care that it's not true. It's a nice thought to keep me going after the 20 min mark.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    i head away from the house i have no interest in machines cause even with the tv its not that interesting on em at least outside im paying attention to the dog and cars on the road also
  • smaschin
    Options
    I have alot of music on my mp3 player but i have these too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuCAQYH-6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShQdD5Fy-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsQ8i1xPcDw (the speech at the start is awesome, then some great music for hardcore gym workouts for me anyways)

The full speech is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFC16ptx-0

Them altogether see me through some bone crunching workouts everytime
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!! i am going to try some of them - like the music changes with my ipod, and thinking about the fat burn after 20 minutes, or just changing things up! I really appreciate the support!! I hate when I have a mental block...
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I don't want Jillian to beat me up, so I keep doing what she says
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I really suggest taking some classes. I take at least two a week and it pushes me, and who wants to walk out of a class - not me.
  • Punchabear
    Options
    We have a big mirror in the room I work out in.
    I can look at me while I'm doing the workouts and think "Damn he's lookin' good." OR "What the heck is that thing? Make it go away!"
    Either way it's motivation haha
    Also, I've started to actually look forward to/enjoy my workout time, or 'self-betterment sessions' so I don't need a whole lot of extra motivation.
  • Army_Love89
    Options
    I have a mirror in front of me while working out & I also listen to music. :)