Struggling to run. a d v i c e

Options
I was in my gym the other day, and was watching people larger then me jogging, running ect, for quite long periods of time.
Then there's me.. I do intervals so I run for a minute then at least need 2minute breaks before I can go for another 1 minute run.

What I was wondering is.. I've been doing the gym for a while now, I'm 145lbs, yet those that seem a bit more unfit, and are larger then me can run well and for a long time - whereas with myself I struggle to run longer then a minute.

Is this because I need to get my fitness levels up more?
Is it my body shape :huh: I'm a pear so a lot of my weight is carried on the bottom.
Or do I need to keep trying at it?

Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions?
x

Replies

• catya4
    catya4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you should try really pushing yourself for the minute you are running...all out. then rest for your two minutes. keep increasing your all out speed and reducing you slow time. You will increase your endurance. and remember your should be trying for a personal best and not worry about how well others are doing. you'll get there.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    You might want to try the Couch to 5K program - it trains you up from intervals similar to what you're doing. You'd be surprised what you're body is capable if you push just a little more each week.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My advice is the opposite - if you slow down you will be able to run much further without feeling like you are going to die.
    In my opinion, endurance needs to come before speed. Going out hard and fast is just asking for an injury.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I was in my gym the other day, and was watching people larger then me jogging, running ect, for quite long periods of time.
    Then there's me.. I do intervals so I run for a minute then at least need 2minute breaks before I can go for another 1 minute run.

What I was wondering is.. I've been doing the gym for a while now, I'm 145lbs, yet those that seem a bit more unfit, and are larger then me can run well and for a long time - whereas with myself I struggle to run longer then a minute.

Is it my body shape :huh: I'm a pear so a lot of my weight is carried on the bottom.

x

The folks you see running longer have better aerobic fitness than you do, that's all.

You are probably suffering primarily from running too fast. Slow down your pace and you will find that you can go for longer periods of time/distances.

Body shape doesn't have much to do with running ability unless you have some sort of problem like knock-knees, etc.

Have you considered using a program like C25K? C25K (Couch to 5K) is a walking program that incorporates ever-increasing bursts of running, with the idea that you will be able to run a 5K in about 8 weeks. You can download phone apps for the program that will tell you when to switch form walking to running and vice versa.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    What gives out and causes you to stop running? Legs or Lungs?

If legs, I would suggest you add in some weight training to strengthen them. If your lungs, you could start doing some hard cycling to build up your lung capacity, then return to running.

Lastly....at your weight i am certain you can actually run longer than u are. My motto: I dont stop when I'm tired....I stop when I'm done.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I will definitely look into that C5K program.

And when I say run I don't go as fast as I can I'm going at a fairly reasonable speed,
    but yeah it's my legs not my lungs - I really do feel as though my lower body/ my legs feel like a ton of bricks.
    :grumble:
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I 2nd (or 3rd or whatever) slowing down your pace. I found if I tried to keep up with my husband, I can go..maybe a minute? But if I go at my own (very slow) pace, then I can jog for much much longer. Right now I'm trying to up my distance, speed comes later.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Then strengthen your legs.
    Leg press machine, squats, lunges...the stairmaster is good...calf raises, etc.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    When my legs feel like lead, it often means I am not well-hydrated. Just another element to consider.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I do cycling, and I use the abductor and adductor, and the leg press,
    I've started up doing squats with weights today though, so maybe that will improve it.

It's not that I want to up my speed, but up the running time, instead of only a minute.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options

x

I started with intervals and still do them
    I started
    Run/Walk
    1 min/3 min
    1:15min/2:45 min
    1:30min/2:30 min
    1:45min/2:15 min
    2 min/2min
    2:15min/1:45 min
    2:30min/1:30 min

Each week I went up running by 15 seconds and down walking by 15 seconds :)
    Now I run 2 min jog 15 seconds
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    you should try really pushing yourself for the minute you are running...all out. then rest for your two minutes. keep increasing your all out speed and reducing you slow time. You will increase your endurance. and remember your should be trying for a personal best and not worry about how well others are doing. you'll get there.

Totally, you may even be able to win a stress fracture and some shin splints this way too!
  • allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My BF started C25K weeks ago. Before doing it he had never jogged a minute. Ever. He can now easily jog for 20+ minutes. We are going to run a 5K together in about a month. The program turned him into a person who jogs. He's surprised every day. It's awesome!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you! Hence me starting c25k today. I honestly didn't think I'd make it through day 1 but I did, and I actually enjoyed it. I don't want to run like a girl anymore!

Ps there are lots of apps you can download to your smartphone if you have one. Personally, I use rundouble.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your interval work is good. But some days you should do less intense cardio.

You need a weight training routine. I found that a good overall body weight training that had a lot with legs (curtsey lunges, Bulgarian split squats, lunges, step ups, squats, etc) actually made my running performance better.

I ran when I was over 170 lbs, no problem, but I've been a runner and weight lifter for over 30 years. I did a routine last year that I think would be perfect for adding to my marathon training next time I do a marathon. I'm too busy right now and focused more on weight training, but I can't wait to do this routine for my next marathon. It's designed for women so has more legs exercises than the guys routine and it's only 3 days a week, I can't wait to do it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You're not going to be able to run 7 MPH right of the bat. Slow down and you may find your 1 minute run stretches to 2 minutes etc etc... Start slowly and build yourself up.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, endurance needs to come before speed. Going out hard and fast is just asking for an injury.

I agree.
    The first time I ever ran a mile without stopping it took me almost 15 minutes, which took almost a month of running 5 days a week to be able to do. The first half marathon I averaged just over 12 minutes a mile, which is pretty slow by most standards.

The awesome thing about running is how quickly your distance can increase. 1/4 mile turns into a mile, which turns into 2, then 5 etc. etc..
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    You might want to try the Couch to 5K program - it trains you up from intervals similar to what you're doing. You'd be surprised what you're body is capable if you push just a little more each week.

Ditto.
    I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds straight before I started the Couch-2-5K program. I've only been doing it for a few weeks, and this morning, on my own, I ran a whole mile without stopping. It's all about building your endurance. Truly a phenomenal program.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yep-slow down! I just did a 1/2 marathon. My 5K average is about 9:30-10 minute miles. My 1/2 marathon pace(13.1 miles) I had to slow to 12:15 minute miles to make it through running the entire way. Try slowing down the treadmill by .5 mph vs what you were doing before and my guess is you'll be able to go longer.
    And I second the dehydration comment. Drink a LOT of water throughout the day. I run in the morning, so i HAVE TO drink about 12 ounces before I hit the gym or the road to run.
  • lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am in my last week of C25K. When I first started running, my problem was in my legs, too. I would have the heavy legs and pain. I continued through the program and combined it with strength training. I built up the muscles in my legs so that they could withstand the high impact of running. Now, it is much more comfortable to run and I can run for 30 minutes. If you were never a runner, your muscles need to adapt to the high impact and different muscles used in running. Strength training and pushing yourself (while staying at a slow pace) to finish running intervals will really help. It takes time for your legs to adapt, but they will! If you have a smart phone, you can download the Ease to 5K app which runs the same basic program but uses your music and tells you when to walk or run. Like many other posters said, makes sure you run SLOW. It may even feel silly, but even upping your speed a tiny amount puts more pressure on your legs. With time comes speed.