exercises for flat belly

Options
2»

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for an exercise to eliminate fat around your belly, forget it. It doesn't exist. You need to lose weight in general, improve your diet, etc. Sadly, the stomach is oftentimes the last holdout, a fat Alamo, if you will.

You can strengthen your stomach muscles, so when you lose the fat over time, muscles will show. Lifting heavy is a great way to develop stomach muscles. Planks are great. Avoid the crunches.

--P
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    Is there anything specific besides crunches I should be doing? I know I will get all over smaller as I lose but I seriously carry all my weight in my belly and need some ideas...Thanks!

Just lose weight and do some type of resistance exercise. Your belly will go away. Don't be surprised to have to get lighter than you expect to get your belly as flat as you like.

^this^

I got to my goal weight and still have that damn baby belly! My problem is I don't really wanna lose anymore as my legs are getting too skinny! My body seems to like taking from my legs and not my tummy! Grrr! :laugh:
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can find this again..re suggested research for the core anti.. core.. ? omg.. :embarassed: the bad back recommended items. thanks for the suggestion (cant remember who posted it... no surprise since i already forgot the names of what to research too, hence why i'm bookmarking this topic.. ....menopause mental moment strikes again!) but ty!
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    Will definitely need this info in a several months.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Is there anything specific besides crunches I should be doing? I know I will get all over smaller as I lose but I seriously carry all my weight in my belly and need some ideas...Thanks!

Just lose weight and do some type of resistance exercise. Your belly will go away. Don't be surprised to have to get lighter than you expect to get your belly as flat as you like.

^this^

I got to my goal weight and still have that damn baby belly! My problem is I don't really wanna lose anymore as my legs are getting too skinny! My body seems to like taking from my legs and not my tummy! Grrr! :laugh:

when you get to that point, its time to start lifting weights and try to add some muscle mass. There comes a point in time where you get too skinny to lose more weight despite the fact you still have stubborn fat left.
  • babyiknow
    Options
    bump. I fell your pain sister
  • maryjay51
    Options
    do you go to a gym? i do a ton of core workouts and rarely do crunches. i use kettleballs ,stand tall and suck my gut in and walk as fast as i can back and forth in the gym..try to do it for three times , a minute each time.

the exercise ball - look up exercises on line to do with them ..its too hard to describe all i do on one

planks!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    do you go to a gym? i do a ton of core workouts and rarely do crunches. i use kettleballs ,stand tall and suck my gut in and walk as fast as i can back and forth in the gym..try to do it for three times , a minute each time.

the exercise ball - look up exercises on line to do with them ..its too hard to describe all i do on one

planks!

Planks are an easy way to strengthen the whole core in balance which will reveal a nicely toned midsection once you lose the fat. They can be done *almost* anytime and anywhere. Great for the posture and thus also great confidence builder!
  • vtachycardia
    Options

planks!

Sucking in your gut seems like the right thing to do but it isn't. You need to learn to abdominal brace, and that is almost the opposite of sucking in (or hollowing), but as daft as it seems it is correct. Google the term, you will be pleased to learn the difference and how it helps you to perform better. Also, power breathing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're carrying extra weight, you need to focus on maintaining a healthy calorie deficit and just be patient. It'll come off.

If you're looking for exercises to strengthen your stomach/core, things like squats and planks are great.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need a flat belly!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    some of this might have been covered, but you should definitely work out your legs, back, and shoulders more because it will speed up fat and body fat loss. Since you are a woman I assume you do not want shoulders bigger than most men :) so you might not do as much weight but you could incorporate these into some kind of circuit routine. Pull ups are also a great core and total body work out.

I would also mix in some HIIT sprint intervals....you actually work your core when sprinting..trust me the first few times you do it your obliques will be SORE...

good luck!