success by weighing daily or weekly??

Options

Replies

• 29andfat
    Options
    I try to stick to weekly. Daily weighing affects my mood too much with all the fluctuations.

This is exactly the same for me, too. I used to always weigh myself daily and I wish I'd switched to doing it weekly. I've probably messed up so many attempts at weight loss because I got too disheartened from a bad weigh-in result, when it was probably just too much salt or water intake or something.

So now I'm doing it once a week and so far, things are going well (though I've only just started).
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because it keeps me on track. Weighing daily shows me my successes and my failures on the days I don't eat so good. It would be easy for me to eat poorly all the time if I did not see the immediate effects of it.

I don't own a scale and refuse to by one because I would be tempted to weigh myself numerous times a day and that isn't healthy. I weigh myself every morning at the gym. If the scale is up it gives me the determination to kick butt at the gym.

To each their own!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here, for all the reasons given. But I only record once a week, on a Saturday first thing
  • lknockstead
    lknockstead Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a week because I need to face the reality of everything. I can't be in denial anymore. I need to see if what I am eating is affecting me in a positive or negative way.

17362130.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    monthly. more accurate.
  • wham55
    Options
    The first 2 months I only weighed in once a month to not get discouraged and I wanted to see a larger number.

Now, I weigh myself every 1st and 15th of the month.

I take a monthly picture every 1st to see the changes from month to month.

:)

awesome idea :)
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    I weigh once every 2 weeks. My body does everything it can to resist weight loss. One bad day will show up on the scale immediately and three days at the gym won't change anything. I used to weigh daily and it nearly drove me nuts. I would get so discouraged to the point of being deeply depressed and wanting to give up. So I went from daily to weekly, and that was better, but I was still obsessing about the scale all the time. For the first time in my life, in August I started weighing once every 2 weeks. Best thing I ever did for me. Two weeks is enough time to overcome a bad day or two, and real commitment shows up as weight loss (so far). And 2 weeks is enough time for me not to worry and obsess about the numbers. This is what works for ME. May not work for others. :tongue:
  • nguyen4ever
    Options
    I weigh in daily, I like to see how I do after a certain daily workout and food intake. Over the last 3 months I've tried to record it daily and its helped me. But it seems to vary among people if they helps or doesn't help them in their weight loss goals.
  • spippin73
    Options
    I have to admit that I will weigh more than once a week, but actually record my weight on MFP weekly. Keep in mind, that so many things effect water weight, etc, so don't get discouraged. Your clothes will begin to tell the correct story!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool, the same with other metrics. Take front, side, and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    What the scale says Saturday....that's the number! So, my answer is weekly. :smile:
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to even look at scales except every several weeks.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I like weekly better because daily there is just to much fluctuation sometimes.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. That's enough for me :smile:
  • jnoire
    Options
    I really like this 1st and 15th idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    I weight myself every two weeks!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Choose what you are personally comfortable with. Success comes from diet and consistency. Exercise plays strongly in to it as well. The scale is only one measure of you success.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I use to do weekly, first thing Monday morning, but I have since decided to weigh the 1st of each month. I also plan to take progress photos the 1st as well. I have started weight training again and that's why I decided to do that, because with weight training you tend to gain a bit of weight first because of building muscles.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. If I did weekly I'm afraid that I'd blame a fluctuation on water retention or something. Daily I know some patterns, like I gain a little when PMSing or drop some after a night of drinking. And if I go like three days in a row and I stay the same or gain I know I need to change something. Things can go way too far in a week's time. JMO.
  • PerfectlyThirty
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning (after peeing, before taking even a sip of water). Some mornings I wake up excited to weigh myself, if I had a healthy day before. Some mornings, not so excited about it :( The problem with daily weigh-ins is definitely the unexpected fluctuation. Things like dehydration from alcohol or retaining water from sodium can make a big difference. Most women can also probably relate to retaining water during certain times of the month. So, to make a long answer short, I weigh myself daily but would probably recommend weekly weigh-ins if you can have the self-control to stay off of the scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!