My ice cream maker arrived today! Healthy ice cream thread!

Options

Replies

• DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    is it just regular ice cream maker?

Yes, it's a regular ice cream maker - has an inner canister with a mixing paddle and a big outer bucket where the ice/salt goes.

The pumpkin mixture I made tonight takes about 25-30 mins to freeze. I just started it when we sat down to eat dinner and it was done when we were.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just throw 32 oz of plain non fat yogurt mixed with sweetener in it. It tastes exactly like the sweet/tart frozen yogurt from tutti frutti
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Sorbet is always a good option. It is just fruit juice or fruit pulp or a combination of both with sugar to taste. Some fruits need less sugar obviously. I suppose you could use sweetner, but I hate the stuff so I use Fructose which is sweeter than sucrose so less is needed. I also like the tartness of some fruits so don't need so much sugar with many of them.

I saw a recipe for Sorbet Sushi the other day that I want to try - sorbet instead of rice, fruit instead of fish, wrapped in nori and frozen. Lemon sorbet with a strawberry, etc...
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you CurvyCowgirl! :)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the recipe. I have a Cuisinart with a canister that I keep in my freezer. Scored that baby on Overstock for about $6!
  • YMCAgirl38
    Options
    Here is tonight's creation (all the pumpkin threads made me want to try something pumpkin!)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt

2 cups unsweetened almond milk (60 cals)
    2 tbsp jello sugar free cheesecake pudding (the powder, not the prepared pudding!) (50 cals)
    1 5oz container of fat free honey greek yogurt (130 cals)
    1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin (20 cals)
    1 packet of splenda
    1 generous shake of cinnamon

Put everything in a bowl, whisk until combined. Put in the ice cream maker, wait 30 mins (how long it took for me). Eat and feel like you are cheating! The entire batch is 260 cals, I split in two, so 130 cals for a bowl full!

(I guesstimate it turned out to about 4 cups total/2 cups per bowl after the expansion while freezing)

So. freaking. good.

This sounds so yummy!
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Tonight is chocolate/raspberry, I think.

Raspberries are on sale near me!
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Kimmy136
    Kimmy136 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yum! I just might have to get an ice cream maker now!!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Definitely bumping to make soon!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bumping for later- thanks for sharing!!!
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    Bump for later
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!

I have an ice cream maker but have only used it a few times because I had trouble finding good recipes for it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting an icecream maker.....I have so many I'd like to make, chocolate/cherry, chocolate/coffee, vanilla/lime, ohhhhh the possibilities would be endless and I could totally make them all dairy free, the variety of non milk based icecream is not very good so this would be so nice to have.
  • preacheraflame
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes Curvy Cowgirl. My wife makes great icecream in ours but it's not always healthy so these will be great ones to try. I especially like the sound of the pumpkin one. I like everything pumpkin and my wife makes a great pumpkin Cayanne soup that IS healthy and filling. Keep those recipes coming for the rest of us!!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i live in europe and the general consensus here is: have a little bit of the real thing or have nothing at all. with that in mind, i make REAL ice cream which includes double cream, milk, egg yolks, raw sugar, a pat of butter and whatever flavoring i choose. then i scoop out my little portion which is about 1/4c (60g) and enjoy it. ok so granted that tiny portion is 250 calories, it is worth every single bite. and that little portion with all its creamy-smooth silkiness (thanks to the double cream) goes a very very very long way.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Vitamix that you can make ice cream in. Is a bit pricey but I can also make soup with no salt (actually is hot and cooked in 4 min) and ice cream in about 1 min. In the same machine. It has a lot of other options so I was ok with the price. Still waiting for it to arrive so I can play with it.
  • idnkt
    idnkt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do have one of those, I'll try it. I love icecream!
  • danaweston
    Options
    wow You all have the best ideas
    I'm gonna make that pumpkin ice cream
    looks amazing!