Cardio Bunny? Stop It – Stop It Now!

Options
For my women who don't do any type of resistance exercise, read this.

http://www.soheeleefitness.com/exercise/cardio/cardio-bunny-stop-it-stop-it-now/

Pay close attention to this section below, so many people are guilty of this.

4. Cardio as compensatory behavior.

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You know, plenty of men only engage in cardio-only exercise, too. I know guys who only exercise is running or racquetball or cycling.

Just sayin'
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You know, plenty of men only engage in cardio-only exercise, too. I know guys who only exercise is running or racquetball or cycling.

Just sayin'

You are correct!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i never do cardio unless its incorporated in my WOD (i do crossfit)... when i did both cardio and weights i found it counter productive..no body comp changes.... if you do cardio, limit it to 2-3 days a week, preferably HIIT
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Well...I love my zumba and hiphop classes and I go to have fun...I like the feeling it gives me and I love dancing...I'm not going to stop because people say it's not the best way to burn fat. But I guess I'm not really expecting it to do much for me other than burn some calories.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Huh, interesting! I like my cardio, but maybe it's time to invest in some weights, along with my treadmill now. Thanks!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The only part of this that is really relevant is this sentence "I am referring only to aesthetic-oriented, steady-state cardio." In other words, none of this applies to people who are trying to gain all the other benefits of cardio like heart health, weight loss, lower cholesterol, increased lung capacity, calorie burning, stamina, increased energy, etc. I'm not bashing strength training, but this article seriously exaggerates its point.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Facebooked.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Pay close attention to this section below, so many people are guilty of this.

4. Cardio as compensatory behavior.

I didn't get that far. I read "I am referring only to aesthetic-oriented, steady-state cardio.
    For all you performance goal folks and those interested in cardio for general health, shoo. This article isn’t for you " And stopped reading...
  • Sublog
    Options
    The only part of this that is really relevant is this sentence "I am referring only to aesthetic-oriented, steady-state cardio." In other words, none of this applies to people who are trying to gain all the other benefits of cardio like heart health, weight loss, lower cholesterol, increased lung capacity, calorie burning, stamina, increased energy, etc. I'm not bashing strength training, but this article seriously exaggerates its point.

Resistance training has plenty of cardio-respiratory & cardiovascular effects on its own, as long as you’re not training like a pure powerlifter with long rest periods between all sets.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I run lots so I can run lots more. I'm an addict alright... endorphins make me feel like wonder woman.

I also like Insanity, boot camp classes, mixed martial arts, cycling, paddle boarding, and whatever else makes me a better athlete.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm from another planet because I absolutely love to ride my bike (road not stationary). And riding uphill against the wind does work the legs or else they wouldn't feel like jelly. I have a goal to eventually ride in a century bike race soon. Call me silly. :tongue:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    But I love cardio... but I end up usually doing HIIT... so I guess this didn't apply to me. :p
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Just sayin'

You are correct!

Or guys who only do resistance...sure you are ripped but can you run a mile? Lol

Edited to note...I do both.
  • Sublog
    Options

Just sayin'

You are correct!

Or guys who only do resistance...sure you are ripped but can you run a mile? Lol

I'm sure 95% of the men out there would want to be ripped than run a mile. Running a mile is cool, but offers little real world benefits. Being ripped with muscles offers a TON of real world benefit as well as at least SOME of the cardiovascular and most if not all of the health effects.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No. Let them (men and women) continue cardio, the weights section is busy enough already. I am selfish. >:(
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Just sayin'
    racquetball is not cardio. it uses anaerobic pathways a lot. jump, swing, sprint, etc. cycling can be, but it can easily not be if you sprint and push anaerobic pathways too. cardio only is simply only using the cardio energy system to power type I muscle fibers. But it's not limited by exercise. you can do cardio while running. you can also not do cardio while running if you up the intensity.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Just sayin'

You are correct!

Edited to note...I do both.
    I hate this misinformation. thats largely a myth. resistance training improves aerobic pathways too. I assure you any ripped guy will be far better on average at running than any sedentary person. And for sure will be easily able to run a mile. but I agree they won't be as near as good as a trained aerobic athlete tho.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hate cardio, love resistance. For some reason, I get super bored doing cardio. The exception would be swimming, I love that. Posts like this help me justify my slacking on cardio.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio to eat more.