Zumba - the reality of HRM & calorie burn

Options
I love Zumba. So, I'll say that upfront. I used to do my beginner's fun, full of dancing DVD (the original where you jump right into it, not the icky new Guthie Renker version) & I used to go to some local classes for it. Back then, I was just getting back into shape & it was a heck of a workout for me ... Or felt like it, anyways.

Recently, I tried it again... Remembering how fun it was & all those ads saying you could burn "up to 900" calories an hour. This time, I was armed with my Polar RS100 HRM. It was still fun, but I was seriously disappointed to learn that I only burned calories in the low 160s for a 1/2 hour session & most of the time did not get up into my aerobic target zone.

Crushed. I realize that I am in better shape now (hiking miles every week, weight lifting, etc.)... But is it just the beginner's routine, is it me? I will be trying a class again & the advanced DVDs, but... I wanna hear from y'all.

Are any of you doing Zumba with an HRM? If yes, what are your results? Can you please post specific workout results like I was at avg of #bpm HR; burned # calories @ ___% of my max or whatever. Or, I avg x per ____. You get the idea.

Edited to fix typos - hate those

Replies

• melonerski
    melonerski Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take a zumba class at my gym 2-4 times a week and use my polar ft7. Our class is 45 min long (that includes our warm up song and cool down song) and I usually burn 450 calories. This week I tried a different zumba class with a different instructor and it was a 60 min class and I burned 700 calories. Hope this helps.
  • itsabouttime2
    itsabouttime2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you did a DVD with a routine that you know and are used to I think that would result in a lower calorie burn. At that point you aren't working as hard and muscle memory kicks in (in my opinion) :) I regularly attend classes, and in the classes where I know more of the routines I don't feel I'm working as hard .

I've just recently started using a HRM monitor, and in my favorite, high intensity class I average 150-160 for most of the class, and higher during really fast songs.

I burn 800-900 calories in 60 minute high-intensity Zumba class. I burn about 600 in an hour long lower-intensity class. I am a licensed Zumba instructor, so I really try to move and amp it up as much as I can. (I'm not teaching in these classes, although sometimes I get on stage, which sends my heart rate a little higher)

I do believe you can burn up to 900 calories an hour, but I think that applies to more advanced classes or master classes. There is only one instructor locally who teaches a class where I burn that many calories. I have taken Zumba classes where I have not even broken a sweat. I have taken other classes where I'm slipping in a puddle of sweat by the end. It all depends on the level of the class and how much each person is putting into it. I've seen people in the back of the room barely moving - which is fine if that is what they are comfortable with, but they aren't going to burn 900 calories doing that.

Try the advanced DVDs and a live class - I'm sure you'll burn more calories!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    32 yr old
    Male
    6'3 315-320ish lbs.
    Polar FT 40
    heart rate is 65%-85%
    45-60 min class
    I burn between 800-1300
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I too don't burn near the calories with Zumba that I used to. I usually have to incorporate a bit of jogging in with it. I jog to Zumba class and back (1 mile total) and take an hour of Zumba to get a 400-500 calorie burn. I usually don't do Zumba too often but typically on an active rest day or when I need to do something fun to switch up my workouts. My max HR is 175 but in Zumba I run around 129 with a peak this last time of 141.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM at Zumba and in a 50 minute class I usually burn between 280-375 calories, depending on the instructor and how hard I am working.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    i just have a quick question regarding the zumba...how are you guys logging it into your exercise tracker? There is no zumba! Can I log it as dance-areobic??
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Although I have attended a class in the past, I tried it at home on the wii with my HRM and was gutted to learn I hardly burned off any calories compared to Just Dance 3, which is usually around the 500 mark.

My best calorie burn is from the bootcamp I go to...a bad session is between 500-600 while a good one is between 700-800
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i just have a quick question regarding the zumba...how are you guys logging it into your exercise tracker? There is no zumba! Can I log it as dance-areobic??

I've been wondering the same thing. I do both Zumba and Just Dance 3 for some fun exercise.
  • bobbibull
    Options
    That is how I have been logging it in because I couldn't find it either.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    That is how I have been logging it in because I couldn't find it either.

cool...thanks!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class twice a week and use the Zumba for xbox kinect at home. While wearing my HRM I generally burn just over 500 calories in an hour at my class. On the kinect I burn around 400 calories in a 45 minute session.

I've also done classes/games and burned a lot more or a lot less. Sometimes it's in how much energy you put into it and sometimes it's just what songs/moves they are doing that day. I've also logged up to 600 or as low as 450 in a class depending on those factors.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    I agree with all of the above--it varies a lot, depending on the instructor's moves and what you put into it. Find a class that will really kick your *kitten*. I guarantee that they're out there! I go to one several times a week; my resting heart rate is in the 50s and I can run for several miles, and it kicks mine every.single.time.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the exact model of my Polar hrm, but I burn about 500-600 cals per hour doing Zumba in a class. Haven't tried it with DVDs.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I've been wondering the same thing. I do both Zumba and Just Dance 3 for some fun exercise.

You can go to the Exercise tab... underneath it you will find "my exercises" and from there you can "create" an exercise. I have made one for "Zumba" there and then I can log my classes as such

If you have a HRM you can put in the time and calories.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've got the Polar FT4 and did my first zumba class a few days ago, here's what I got

Female
    5'5, 145 lbs
    475 cals for 55 min Zumba
    Avg. HR - 141. Max HR - 166. In zone (aerobic) - 50 min

I found it's really up to you with zumba, which I sure you know. I probably burned at least 100 cals more with my exaggerated movements than the unenthused person next to me, but probably 150 cals less than the instructor who of course nailed all the moves with gusto
  • itsabouttime2
    itsabouttime2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went to my favorite Zumba class after replying earlier this morning. Today's class was 63 minutes, I burned 954 calories, my max heart rate was 191. I workout a lot, and the highest my heart rate gets with almost anything else is 180. I was in a great mood this morning, so I was definitely bouncing all around giving it all I had. :) I have a Polar HRM, sorry I can't remember the exact model right now.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I went to my favorite Zumba class after replying earlier this morning. Today's class was 63 minutes, I burned 954 calories, my max heart rate was 191. I workout a lot, and the highest my heart rate gets with almost anything else is 180. I was in a great mood this morning, so I was definitely bouncing all around giving it all I had. :) I have a Polar HRM, sorry I can't remember the exact model right now.

Fantastic workout, you must have been going all out to get your HR that high - Great job!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

you can create your own workouts for your diary, you dont to use non specific ones, i made my own zumba :)

I do zumba exhilarate 60 min dvd and i usually burn around 700 cals. I have a body media fit armband.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar F7, and I tried it out while doing Zumba Fitness Rush for the Kinect. In a half hour session, I burned 349 calories. I didn't pay too much attention to my heart rate while I was doing it, but the few times I looked it was around 160ish.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the great replies. It gives me hope. I will be trying some new & different Zumba classes/dvds.

954? Wow. You were cranking girl!

And, yes to all those who asked, create your own exercise. Another way to get to that feature if you're on your phone app is to search & when it doesn't find it, you'll see a blue arrow tab at the bottom that says create new exercise. Voila go from there.