Need calories but no protein!

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    DId your world fall apart when you went to a BBQ or celebrated Christmas with a protein rich meal before starting this? If not, then why expect something worse to happen just because you're logging it? Don't let it stress you out!
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    MFP macro ratios are messed up to being with. I switched mine to 40c/40p/20f and then carb cycle with my fats depending on which workout I have that day. My protein is always at 250g a day, up to 1.5g/lb is not unheard of and is actually quite common for a cutting diet.

Meet your cals and eat the protein and don't worry so much.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    You should get .33g of protein per pound of mass. Not 1 for 1, I don't think you have much of an issue going over on protein unless you take in too many sugars or fats. If you're not hungry, don't eat.

I'm curious where you are getting that number from. Pretty much any well-recognized exercise nutritionist will say 2g/kg minimum for those engaged in regular strength training.

whoops it's .36, not .33. Hell google it, I'd post a link but theres tons that say the same thing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    You should get .33g of protein per pound of mass. Not 1 for 1, I don't think you have much of an issue going over on protein unless you take in too many sugars or fats. If you're not hungry, don't eat.

It IS one for one for protein. .33g of FAT per pound of mass.

no its not.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    If I remember correctly, MFP originally set my carbs/protein/fats ratios to something crazy like 55%/15%/30%.

I guess those ratios are easy to maintain if you're only trying to lose weight by reducing the amount of food you eat, rather than changing the types of food that you eat. But you're going to be able to physically eat more food for the same amount of calories if you change those ratios a bit to something more like 45%/35%/20% because you get different amounts of calories from carbs, proteins and fats:

Carbs: 4 calories/gram
    Proteins: 4 calories/gram
    Fat: 9 calories/gram
    (source: Nutrition Now, 5th Edition by Judith E. Brown)
  • redraidergirl2009
    here is one

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
    Grams of protein
    needed each day
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    can't have too much :) Keep going and indulge in some hard boiled egg whites with a side of chicken and greek yogurt for desert :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    I triple my protein levels when ever possible.
  • redraidergirl2009
    I guess by everyone else's standards I'm going to die of a protein defiency since I only get an average of 50 daily. Please tell my muscles I sworrryyy. :(
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    I guess by everyone else's standards I'm going to die of a protein defiency since I only get an average of 50 daily. Please tell my muscles I sworrryyy. :(

LOL me too.

Anyway, OP, I don't think you need to worry about the protein... However, it does concern me that you can't think of anything to eat that isn't protein heavy. How about some vegetables? Fruit?
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks for this post!!! I was shocked to see I was having the same issue almost every day. It's not easy to increase your calories without increasing the protein. Even veggies have some protein.

It's great to read all the responses here. I'll keep in ind the low protein settings here at MFP and consider it a minimum.
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Keep in "mind" - not "ind" oops!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member

You clearly don't get it. 1g protein per pound of body weight is not a goal to prevent a deficiency. It is a goal to prevent excessive muscle loss while losing weight, as you will ALWAYS lose SOME muscle when losing weight...it is a combination of fat and muscle you lose. Exercising and eating high protein will prevent this, also eating high in protein will aid in your body's muscle recovery from a workout.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm
  • redraidergirl2009

You clearly don't get it. 1g protein per pound of body weight is not a goal to prevent a deficiency. It is a goal to prevent excessive muscle loss while losing weight, as you will ALWAYS lose SOME muscle when losing weight...it is a combination of fat and muscle you lose. Exercising and eating high protein will prevent this, also eating high in protein will aid in your body's muscle recovery from a workout.

Guess I've lost so much muscle *rolls eyes*. Oh wait, I've actually gained muscle without upping protein. Whoopsies I proved you wrong. Sowwrry
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member

Guess I've lost so much muscle *rolls eyes*. Oh wait, I've actually gained muscle without upping protein. Whoopsies I proved you wrong. Sowwrry
    Alright smarty pants seeing you seem to have the worlds perfect diet and amazing results...lets see the pictures to prove it?...ditch the fairy and lets see the proof.

1gram of protein per 1lb of lean body mass (not total weight) is optimal
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Going over in protein is fine!! MFP sets it way too low anyway.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've went over my protein recommendation today, which I'm worried enough about. What are the risks of overstepping your protein boundaries? I figure I'm about 9-10 percent over because I'm into -5. Is this really bad?

Also I'm still under on my calories today but I honestly can't think of anything I can eat that isn't chocked full of proteins too.

Really am in a huuuuge pickle. :(
    Eat the pickle! :tongue:

Seriously, as others have said, going over MFP's protein settings is a good thing.
  • I'm just going to put this here and refrain from actively feeding the troll.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/protein-requirements-for-strength-and-power-athletes.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

^^this

Plus Miss Attitutude does not realize that the numbers posted from the CDC are for people who are not on a deficit. Protein requirements increase when on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Alright smarty pants seeing you seem to have the worlds perfect diet and amazing results...lets see the pictures to prove it?...ditch the fairy and lets see the proof.

1gram of protein per 1lb of lean body mass (not total weight) is optimal

A screen print of DEXA scans or hydrostatic test reports would be good also to show an actual muscle gain while on a deficit.