What do you make at home to SAVE MONEY?

Options
Okay, my $700 food bill per month (no eating out and just me) is pretty ridiculous. I'm looking for ways to make it cheaper...also to get others thinking about ways to save money!

So, what do you make at home instead of buying premade?

Some ideas:
-homemade tabbouleh ($5 for 4-5 cups vs. $3.50 for 6oz...that's a huge savings)
-homemade hummus ($2-3 for 1.5 cups vs. $3-4 for 6oz)

Replies

• monicuza
    monicuza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Home made pesto (no cheese)- just whip up some basil, garlic and pine nuts in a blender. Cheap, cheerful and low cal, you need less than a spoon to flavour your pasta/gnocchi :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    thought of some more...

pasta salad
    green salads
    chili
    soups
    muffins
    protein bars
    cereal bars
    smoothies/protein shakes
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Homemade larabar recipies :). For the cost of the store bough ones ($2.50 each), the cost of the ingredients to make them makes me enough for a week or two.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I make homemade:
    *breads & buns
    *muffins
    *donuts & bagels
    *cookies & cakes
    *salads (pasta, fruit, green, etc)
    *dressings
    *pasta, depending on the type
    *sauces
    *soups
    *chilis
    *flatbread
    *sometimes, cheese

We also make all our own cleaning supplies - dish soap, laundry soap, glass cleaner, floor cleaner, etc.
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    $700 a month for JUST YOU? How!? I shop organic and my food bill's only around $100-$200 a month for just me. I buy things that I can make in bulk and use over a lot of meals, like spagetti. I also buy basic ingredients that can DO a lot things, like eggs, chicken, rice and beans. Of course, I have 3 roommates and they all grocery shop too, so occasionally I'll use some of their food or they'll make dinner and share. But man, $700?
    Options
    I make homemade:
    *breads & buns
    *muffins
    *donuts & bagels
    *cookies & cakes
    *salads (pasta, fruit, green, etc)
    *dressings
    *pasta, depending on the type
    *sauces
    *soups
    *chilis
    *flatbread
    *sometimes, cheese

We also make all our own cleaning supplies - dish soap, laundry soap, glass cleaner, floor cleaner, etc.

flatbread--do tell! cheese--tell that too!
  • ebonypixie
    ebonypixie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Homemade sauces are a big saver in my house! Instead of buying jars of curry/bolognase/stir fry sauces every week I just have a whole collection of spices. Its so easy to whip up a nice sauce using spices and tinned tomatoes/pureed veg. I also make my own jams - free berrys and a bag of sugar = 3 or 4 nice pots of jam for the winter.
    I buy a big bag of flour and have eggs on hand at all times to make breads/pasta/cookies as I need them.

I buy a tonne of fresh fruit and veg and freeze any fruit I think I might not get through and use it later in smoothies or baking.

Ooh also dried beans! Instead of a euro per tin I just get a big bag of each and boil them up for added protein and filler in meals :) My saviour on days I havent been to the butchers :)

I dont buy much processed food as fresh is best :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    $700 a month for JUST YOU? How!? I shop organic and my food bill's only around $100-$200 a month for just me. I buy things that I can make in bulk and use over a lot of meals, like spagetti. I also buy basic ingredients that can DO a lot things, like eggs, chicken, rice and beans. Of course, I have 3 roommates and they all grocery shop too, so occasionally I'll use some of their food or they'll make dinner and share. But man, $700?

Where do you live? Cost of living (grocery cost) vary dramatically from city to city.
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make stuff in my slow cooker, makes loads & uses cheap ingredients & cuts of meat. I eat one meal from it & freeze the rest. Works out really cheap. I use veg that is in season & cheap in the shops to make fresh soups, again freezing some of it. Homemade smoothies using own brand orange juice & frozen berries which are really cheap compared to shop bought smoothies (and nicer).

I live on my own a lot of the time & would be lost without my freezer. What on earth do you buy that comes to $700 just for you? When I was out of work a few months ago I only spent about £40 a month on shopping.
    Options

yeah, it's PRETTY RIDICULOUS I'll admit...let's see...

protein powder ($30-40 a month)
    non-dairy milk ($30 a month)
    greek yogurt ($35-40 a month)
    veggies ($3-4 a pound usually)
    seafood ($9-13 a pound)
    eggs ($3 a dozen)
    fruit ($2-3 a pound)
    seasoning/spices/condiments ($20 a month)
    cottage cheese ($25 a month)
    cheese ($15-20 a month)
    oats/lentils/flatbread/beans ($10 a month)
    misc ($100 a month)

Somehow it all adds up--sometimes I'll buy things like cheesecloth or some sort of cooking THING that's not food but it's food related.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Okay, my $700 food bill per month (no eating out and just me) is pretty ridiculous. I'm looking for ways to make it cheaper...also to get others thinking about ways to save money!

So, what do you make at home instead of buying premade?

Some ideas:
    -homemade tabbouleh ($5 for 4-5 cups vs. $3.50 for 6oz...that's a huge savings)
    -homemade hummus ($2-3 for 1.5 cups vs. $3-4 for 6oz)

holy smokes......I can feed my hubby, 2 kids and myself for 600$ a month but 800$ if we want to splurge on fun treats.....what the heck do you eat!!!! ??

anyway, I make almost all meals from scratch, I do stirfries, chili, soups, stews, I have made bread, desserts (muffins, cakes, brownies, cookies, fruity polenta etc) salad dressing for myself, I've made my own deoderant, lotion, lipbalm and cleaning supplies but don't always, but mostly I shop sales now and find that easier as I don't always have time to make the things I want. So I do buy protein bars and fruit snacks, canned beans (instead of dry), apple sauce, juice, as well as all the produce/perishables and it just all fits into the budget if I shop and only buy what we need and not everything we want.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Bread, apple pie, pasta sauce, sandwiches (for work and school for my boy) and Jamaican dishes.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Coffee/lattes, pizza sauce (and pizza)
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    You're getting more cals, carbs, fat, and sodium from prepackaged meals. Just make absolutely everything from scratch, except obvious things like condiments.

-Salads
    -Dinners
    -Desserts...
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I probably save the most by making all my coffee and espresso drinks at home. My machine cost around $100 when I bought it a decade ago, but now they have very similar machines at Target for around $40.

The Brita was a huge money saver as well--no more bottled water, ever.

I also take food with me whenever possible. It was definitely worth the $15 for a cooler bag, the $3 for ice packs and the $10 or so I spent to beef up my collection of storage containers. If your lunches and dinners are made at home and then packed, they are always cheaper and healthier than a frozen entree or a sandwich shop option. Snacks are much cheaper that way as well.
    Options
    Oh yeah--forgot about that...coffee, coffee creamer, sweetener, etc can easily add up to $30 in a month.
    Options
    Admittedly I can EASILY cut down the food budget to MAYBE 600 but less than that it's a bit tough. I am putting myself on a budget though--$500 a month MAXIMUM. ((le sigh)) Budgets suck. Why can't food be free?
    Options
    You're getting more cals, carbs, fat, and sodium from prepackaged meals. Just make absolutely everything from scratch, except obvious things like condiments.

-Salads
    -Dinners
    -Desserts...

I don't really buy prepackaged MEALS actually. I mean this summer I did but this is the amount I spend when I'm making ALMOST everything from scratch. Of course not protein powder or condiments.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I make my own frozen dinners. It's just as easy to make 2 lasagnas as it is to make one - I freeze the 2nd one for a busy night. I do the same with chicken spaghetti.

Buy whole chickens at .77/# (my local grocer runs that sale every 2-3 months). Sprinkle with s&p, stuff with lemons, onions, & thyme, roast until done. Chop chicken, freeze in individual portions for salads, soups, tacos, enchiladas, sandwiches, ect. Save the roasted bones with veggie scraps - onion skins/tops/bottoms, carrot tops & peels, herb stems, celery roots, ect - in a bag in the freezer. Boil down for stock when full, strain, & freeze. Seafood stock: fish bones & shrimp heads/peels. Beef stock: beef bones, gristle, & fat.

My new favorite breakfast costs .47/serving - 2 ingredient pancakes. Mash one banana, add 2 beaten eggs, cook in a non-stick greased pan. 265 calories for the whole batch, 15g protein.

Shop your circulars, & shop what's in season. Sprout's Farmers Market is awesome if you have one close; they run at least 2-3 hormone/antibiotic-free proteins for super cheap every week. This week, we're getting salmon for $4.99/#. That's a treat for us because it's more expensive than our usual protein choices, but it's a great price for salmon.

Invest in a set of Tupperware and use it to pack your own lunches & snacks.

Make your own microwave popcorn with a paper lunch sack and 2-3 tbsp of kernels. Fold the bag closed 3-4 times, leaving plenty of room for the popcorn to expand. Cook as usual. (This saves ALOT of $ over traditional microwave popcorn!)

Another of local grocer, HEB, runs "meal deals." If you buy 1 or 2 ingredients, you get 4-6 other items free. I combine these offers with coupons and save even more money.

Last but not least, check out poorgirleatswell.com. That chick is a treasuretrove of information, healthy recipes, & money saving tips.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What ON EARTH are you buying that is costing you $700/mo???? If you give me an example of what you would put in your grocery cart, and I can help you find cheaper ways to have the same thing.