Are there any other 60 somethings getting fit

Options
2»

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chuckle! I love it, "get back to my drivers license weight"!!!
  • suebdew
    Options
    I'm also in TX, southwest of Ft Worth and the problem we're dealing with is West Nile. Have to be careful when we go outside. I understand about the hot and humid. However, it was 68 when I went to water aerobics the morning. Too Cold! I'll look for the group of 60's +. I think I might be the oldest person on this site!
  • greatwood1
    greatwood1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We have West Nile in Houston, too, not nearly as bad as it has been up there. No, you are not the oldest on this thread by a long shot...I will be 72 in November!
  • suebdew
    Options
    Look at my profile! I was 73 in July. However, 70 is the new 50, right?
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Walking DVD? Which one, and where did you get it? I definitely am dealing with the hot and humid here south of Houston, TX

I have been using Leslie Sansone DVDs since April when my local CURVES closed. That is when I discovered the DVDs and began exercising at home using them. I absolutely love them. I get them at Target or Walmart as well as Amazon.com. I have lost almost 12 pounds :drinker: since April (of which 5 have been since joining MFP).

There is a group on MFP called "Leslie Sansone Walk At Home" Search for it under Groups if interested. We have monthly 'miles' challenges. We log in whenever we use a LS DVD that day. We are each trying to reach our own personal goal that we set for the monthly challenge. The group helps keep me inspired and motivated to keep walking.
  • doco48
    doco48 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just trying to find a group where I fit in. I am a 64yo . grandmother to 6 grandsons!! I am post-meno, hypothyroid, and have celiac disease ... so losing the weigh is a challange. I have lost 60 pounds since mid-January. Most of that following the Dukan Diet since 2/2/12 (abt 45 pounds).

I have been walking 2 - 2-1/2 miles (abt 40 minutes) daily but am stuck ... been on MFP for awhile but never joined the discussion groups, dont know how this works ... just thought I would pop in here to see if there was some help, support for the rest on my journey - would like to lose another 20 before the holidays set in!!!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is great. Also, check them out online at collage.com. Happy Walking (out of the Heat) :wink:
  • lindag321
    Options
    I am so happy to find all these 60 plus communities on MFP. I have been a professional dieter all my life. I said I would never count calories. Never say Never. The past 6 days have been so much fun and I am looking forward to watching ones my age enjoying life and improving their health.
  • capie123
    Options
    Got you beat. I'm 75. New to this site and learning to get around. Kept food log 2 days. Sure makes it easy.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Got you beat. I'm 75. New to this site and learning to get around. Kept food log 2 days. Sure makes it easy.

Good for you! There is an over 60s group on MFP that you might want to join also. We have mini challenges and ideas for exercising and getting/staying in shape.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Just trying to find a group where I fit in. I am a 64yo . grandmother to 6 grandsons!! I am post-meno, hypothyroid, and have celiac disease ... so losing the weigh is a challange. I have lost 60 pounds since mid-January. Most of that following the Dukan Diet since 2/2/12 (abt 45 pounds).

I have been walking 2 - 2-1/2 miles (abt 40 minutes) daily but am stuck ... been on MFP for awhile but never joined the discussion groups, dont know how this works ... just thought I would pop in here to see if there was some help, support for the rest on my journey - would like to lose another 20 before the holidays set in!!!

Welcome! I'm wheat intolerant--just figured that out since late March of this year. I love the over 60s group because it keeps me energized. There are several gluten-free MFP groups, too, for food and recipe ideas. I'm going to look into the Dukan Diet to see what that's about. I've lost 10 lbs since April, but now I'm stuck and can't seem to even make a dent in the last 10 lbs I want to lose.

Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    LOL well I have about 8 more years to go to reach 60. But I know a lady who is 60 and is as fit as I am. She does the same workout as I do. You can check us both out on the Venus Index Blog under contests and transformations. I am Roberta there and she is Denise. I have hypothyroid too, many of us on the Venus Index Forum have overcome that and many health issues. It's all designed for women. Come check us out and think about joining. You can see what the program has done for many other woman on that blog. I have links on my blog along with my story on bobbies fitness. I am not a seller. I'm just super passionate because this changed my life and that of many other women.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    63 here, Briton living in ruralFrance, trying to become less fat
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You all look great and are doing awesome! I am going to get my Mom (68) setup on here in the next couple of weeks and it's great to see all these wonderful posts to get her motivated! I may be friending some of you soon!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • capie123
    Options
    Hi, new to MFP but not weight issues. I am 75 and never reached my goal weight so I'm committing to do that here. 15 lbs. to lose! Have been over 200 plus so 155 seems reasonable for my age. This is a great source of support and love the food diary. I even started a blog here. Something I have never done. Poetry is my favorite style andhave been tokd I say what others feel and can't express. Hope you'll check it out!
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi there is a group called 60 years and older.
  • capie123
    Options
    I'm 75 and glad I found MFP. I like the support and the food chart makes keeping track of food so easy. I have 15 lbs to go to reach my goal weight. I have never done it but am determined to accomplish it now! Just started a blog on MFP. Another thing I've never done
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 61 and just joined MFP yesterday. My doctor told me about it. She is on here and said she tried Weight Watcher but didn't like the site. She also said do not diet. Just watch what you eat, control your sugar intake and it will fall off slowly. She asked me did you gain your excess weight overnight? I said no. She said they lets see about losing a lb a week. So here I am. Would love to add friends that will be a postivie infludence on this journey.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Hi! I am 61 and just joined MFP yesterday. My doctor told me about it. She is on here and said she tried Weight Watcher but didn't like the site. She also said do not diet. Just watch what you eat, control your sugar intake and it will fall off slowly. She asked me did you gain your excess weight overnight? I said no. She said they lets see about losing a lb a week. So here I am. Would love to add friends that will be a postivie infludence on this journey.

I'm 63 and also did WW several years ago. I really didn't enjoy the weekly meetings and hearing about all the successes when I was stuck, so I quit. Of course, I put back on all the weight; it's too hard counting points and figuring out points if you don't eat all the packaged foods they recommend. I remember when they encouraged you to cook healthy, nutritious meals and shared recipes--that was so much better. Sorry for my rant there. I love MFP and enjoy the encouragement. You can add me as a friend if you like. Good luck!