What foods surprised you?

Options
Since I started tracking food I have been surprised by how bad some foods are (french fries!). Today the Phantom Gormet asked on fb what people thought of turkey burgers and out of curiosity I put it into the log to see how it compares to a beef burger. I was surprised to see that there basically is NO difference in calories, fat and protein. 4oz beef burger is 160 calories, 22g protein and 8 grams of fat. 4oz turkey burger is 150 calories, 22g protein and 8 grams of fat.

Are there any foods that surprised you by their nutritional values when you logged them?

Replies

• Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The turkey burger surprised me too. The other thing I remember being surprised about was whole wheat breads. They really aren't that much better than white bread. I hate whole wheat and actually was glad I found that out because it drove me to try whole grain, which it turns out I like.

My other surprise was sour cream. I LOVE sour cream but broke down and bought the lowest fat one for diet purposes. Came to find out, the full fat one which tastes lightyears better was only about 30 more calories per serving. Not worth the calorie cut after all.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    None.... I prefer to sneak up on it

seriously, mainly it's pre- packaged meals. And do-nuts, I knew they were calorie bombs but one Krispy Kreme lemon filled is the equivalent to 1 hour on a bike riding hard.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I hate whole wheat and actually was glad I found that out because it drove me to try whole grain, which it turns out I like.
    Well, if you only think about calories they aren't that different, no. But if you also consider health, there's quite the difference! But whole grain is the best of course.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    swiss chard.....................SUPER HIGH in sodium.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sugar.
    People get so obsessed with cutting out sugar, but a teaspoon of plain old white sugar only has 16 cals. I'd rather have 16 cals that make something taste good any day over 0 cals with a horrible aftertaste.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Avocados they may be a superfood but lots of calories
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The thing that I've really cracked down on was pouring creamer into coffee. I measured the creamer until it lightened the coffee like I used to and it was adding 100 calories to a cup.

creamer 200 calories a day x 365 days yr = 73,000
    73,000 / 3500 (calories in a pound) = 20lbs weight a year

If I could have reduced my calories by just coffee creamer everyday, I wouldn't need to loose weight. That really surprised me.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and salad dressing. Whoa, The calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I was really shocked how low calorie boiled shrimp is. you have to eat a lot of shrimp!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes... the calories in cinnamon surprised me! 6 calories in a teaspoon. Which seems negligible... unless you are me. I dump cinnamon onto almost everything, daily :D
  • CountryCorgi
    CountryCorgi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Brisket ... I don't even know why I thought this would be a somewhat lean-ish meat, but after logging my meal today I nearly fell out of my chair. But now I know!
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon has calories!? That is preposterous! I can't have anything...
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon has calories!? That is preposterous! I can't have anything...

Yeah, who'd have thought? :laugh:
  • RafterRattler
    Options
    Sugar.
    People get so obsessed with cutting out sugar, but a teaspoon of plain old white sugar only has 16 cals. I'd rather have 16 cals that make something taste good any day over 0 cals with a horrible aftertaste.

I agree with this one wholeheartedly. However, it's still refined white sugar. I've moved to using maple syrup or honey in my coffee. There is a slight taste difference which I've learned to like, no aftertaste, and it's healthier...
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sugar.

oh
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Pinto beans 1/2C 22g Carbs! for only 8g protein
    Pizza....even just a cheese pizza is LOADED with sodium
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Last year I jumped on board with all the fancy coffee drinks and was buying the gourmet creamers. I was drinking coffee at work just to make it through the day (it's free). I always felt tired and run down and wasn't sleeping well. I put 4 french vanilla flavored creamer into each double sized mug plus 3 packs of sugar substitute. I had probably 2-3 of them a day... (so 4-6 cups). I sold my keurig at home and started buying Hot Flavored Herbal Tea. I tried many flavors til I found my favorites (celestial seasonings sleepytime, and chamomile). Since then I am more energized, not tired all day and I'm sleeping better. And on my lunch break I close my office door and do a 15 min Leslie Sansone walk from youtube.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yes... the calories in cinnamon surprised me! 6 calories in a teaspoon. Which seems negligible... unless you are me. I dump cinnamon onto almost everything, daily :D

Yeah, I didn't even realize cinnamon had calories. Makes me start documenting my spices! I was dumping it on my greek yogurt.

Other things that surprised me...Peanut butter. 2 freaking tablespoons = almost 200 calories. I'd rather eat a piece of chicken even though I do love PB. Switched to PB2, although sometimes I do sneak in a tablespoon of the real stuff.

Processed food is a big one. The sodium in everything is horrific. I grew up on pre-packaged box crap. I still love it and have it. Moderation damn it.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am surprised how ga-ga everyone is on peanut butter.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am really happy to have read this thread.
    Honestly cinammon has calories??? *sight*
    Guess I have to live with that! But I do not have to be happy about it.

Nuts always freak me out when I see the calories and fat.