weird questions

Options
So I decided out of nowhere that I LOVE ORANGES!! Not a bad thing, except I started eating 2-3 a day. I also started getting acid reflux several times a week now as well....is it possible the two are related? I don't want to give up my oranges...but I think I may have to go down to one a day. What do you think?

Replies

• schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oranges are very high in acid. I love oranges also, but had to almost cut them out of my diet because they give me such bad acid reflux. One suggestion would be to try to eat them after you have eaten something that could help to soak up the acid. In other words, do not eat them on an empty stomach. Good luck!!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I figured that was what my acid reflux was from! I hate it though because it's the one fruit I don't get tired of eating, and I actually look foward to my morning and afternoon snacks because I usually have an orange. Well I guess I will cut back then!
  • kirra_80
    Options
    I also get acid reflux from oranges and orange juice because of the acid content. I find it best to eat them during the day. If I drink/eat oranges in the morning or at night, my acid reflux tends to be worse. Also, like schnicklefritz1 said, I would eat something else first, and then the orange.
  • augustbells
    Options
    Eating something else with the orange is good also I would suggest drinking water or milk with it as well.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You might try to eat the clementines or tangarens..not as much acid in them but on the same line as a orange..hope this helps
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Agreed about the tangerines and Clementines. They have less acid in them. Drink water with your orange, that might help as well. You could also try an OTC stomach medicine like Prilosec or Zantac. Also, be careful when taking acetaminophen or naproxen based OTC medications like Tylenol and Aleve. Those drugs will cause stomach issues if not taken with food and/or lots of water. Tums are good for immediate relief, but watch the sugar and sodium levels in chewable anti-acids.

You could also try mixing your orange with yogurt or cottage cheese. The milk will cut the acid of the orange.
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    Clementines are my favorite...but way more addicting than oranges!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    They are extremely acidic! I have peptic ulcer disease and I am not supposed to eat any acidic fruits at all. You might cut back or try mixing them with something like yogart or cottage cheese and see if that helps with the acid reflux.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    Clementines are my favorite...but way more addicting than oranges!

i agree
    i dont really like oranges but LOVE clementines