1000 calories a day!

Options

Replies

• windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    if you are really going to do 1000 calories a day you need to be prepared to invest a lot of time into menu planning and make sure you get adequate exercise, water and rest, and vitamins.

if you are eating like 2 pieces of pizza for 700 calories you'd better not be eating 1000 calorie a day diet, that only leaves you 300 calories and i would be worried about malnutrition.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

This
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

^This
  • Muslimah1218
    Muslimah1218 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor
    It isn't the fact of knowing more than the doctor... And Just so you know... Doctors aren't perfect, nor are they always right...
  • luvsviola
    luvsviola Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

Doctors should never act like they didn't hear you. I would seek a 2nd opinion. I've had family members who almost died due to doctors instructions being incorrect, and 1,000 is very low, generally speaking, unless you have a valid medical reason to back it up (other health problems than just needing to lose weight, etc.).

My son is special needs, so believe me...I know about doctors conveniently not hearing you when you ask for a referral. Call the office. Ask to speak to the doctor's nurse. Tell the nurse that you are not comfortable doing 1000 calories, and you need more patient education (use that word), and that you'd like a referral for a consultation with a nutritionist who specializes in patients needing to lose a considerable amount of weight.

Be firm.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash it is filling and WAY low calorie. In fact days I have been bad and still want dinner this is my go to. If you only have to loose 90 lbs to be a healthier you and not because you are going to have a heart attack next week. Get a second opinion. But also see how you feel. If you get in lots of good lean protein and veggies you may find after the first week you are satisfied on a low cal diet if you are getting the right calories. I hope he told you to get a good multivitamin.

When looking to cook filling low calorie I take spaghetti squash, some green veggie, some zucchini or summer squash and some lean chicken meat and I saute that with 0 cal olive oil spray, apple cider vinegar and spices to flavor. A serving of spaghetti squash is 42 cal, green beans about the same, the squash about 15 calories and the chicken under 150. It is a huge bowl of food and I feel like I have eaten like a gluten for under 250 calories. I love it.

Good luck
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Here are some resources that might help you: http://www.livestrong.com/1000-calorie-diets/

If you do have questions ask your Dr. again to make sure you understand.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a medical reason why I need to lose 100lbs (maybe more) it's because - wait for it - I'M FAT

This really made me LOL even while i was typing this.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hope you seek a second opinion. I went to a doctor when my knees were hurting, and his "advice" was to 1) lose 40 lbs (at the time, I weighed around 160, and at a muscular 5'7" I have NEVER been 120 since I went through puberty) and to stop running and eat no more than 1100 calories a day. "You'll be hungry all the time, but you'll lose weight and then your knees won't hurt so much." I was so pissed. I never went back, and began seeing a personal trainer/physical therapist - and guess what, I run all the time, climb stairs, and work out hard - and I weigh more now than I did back then (though hopefully not for much longer.) I agree losing weight will help my knees, but he gave me really piss poor advice, and I'm glad I went with my gut and refused to basically starve myself. There should be other options for you, so ask about them if it doesn't quite sit right with you. You have to be your own advocate in the doctor's office!
  • snuggles0723
    Options
    Im on the same... mostly veggies and high protein foods.
  • Tarek307
    Options
    Ignore the people that lecture you about how your not eating enough calories...1000 calories a day is just fine as long as your getting your vitamins..as if they know more than a doctor or something...its a recurring theme their lectures..i eat 900 maxx & work out so end up with like 600 even 500 & its working
  • riotshows
    Options
    Breakfast - 1 cup cereal, 1/2 cup milk
    or 2 pieces whole grain toast (140 calories for 2) with slice of low fat cheese
    1 cup peaches canned or fresh

Lunch: Celery with low fat flavored cream cheese (herb or vegi) 2 calories for 1 TBLspoon
    You can eat 8 sticks of Celery and 5 tablespoons of this cream cheese and be under 150 calories
    or Toasted tomator sandwith = 175 calories. Or large salade with salmond and 2 TBlspoons light Miracle whip
    Bowl of soup...many low calorie lunch ideas.

Dinner lots of vegetables cooked with a little butter, grilled meat, salads, beets with vinegar and oil. sliced cucumber with
    vinegar. tomato and onion salad with vinegar and oil. Baked meatballs with tomator sauce on vegetables instead of pasta.

Snacks...piece of fruit, celery and cheese, vegetables with dilly dip light 20 calories a TBlspoon. Breyers light icecream bars 90-120 calories. Just for starters
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

You never know why a Doctor says to do something. Sometimes low calories are given to jump start a body that is dangerously (not saying that she is) overweight back into losing weight! If the patient needs to lose weight quickly based on more pertinent/ dangerous health concerns( ie. heart/ lungs/ kidney's etc) low calories are a must!! Be careful of advising people on things you don't have the full story of! You never know who you might be hurting (injuring) in the long run.

RN-15 years
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

This.
    If your doctor has done this there is most likely a reason and if you don't want to share it it's none of anyone's business and not what the post was about!
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is enough if you ate more vegies and cut all the calorie from your drinks.
    & homecook everything ^^
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.

:drinker:
  • angrybird15
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/482080-sample-of-a-balanced-1000-calorie-diet/

I'm not saying you should do this, however here is a link to a healthy well balanced diet at 1000 calories.
  • maurbor
    Options
    I'm on a medically supervised weight loss program and my calorie goal is about the same as the person who started this thread. I see a nutritionist every week and the doctor once a month. They are having me eat a lot of lean protien and veggies. I'm keeping my carbs very low. I am trying to avert a serious medical crisis. For me, it is about a lot more than looking cute in my clothes. I know that it goes against conventional wisdom to consume so few calories, but if you have a medical reason to do that and you are appropriately supervised, I think it makes sense. I'm about 3.5 weeks into this, I have lost 12 pounds and I'm feeling really good.

This certainly sounds to me like a reasonable approach - consulting both doctor & nutritionist. I have always believed 1,000 calories a day to be very low but I know that now that I am older, I just don't burn the calories I used to. On this very site I was actually a little surprised at first that my recommended calorie intake was so low - 1,250 - since I don't have that much weight to lose. However I realize that when you make smart choices, you can be quite satisfied on that caloric intake. If you're exercising, of course that will up the number of calories you can consume.
  • NancyG55
    Options
    I am thinking that perhaps you need to find another doctor and get a second opinion perhaps. If you aren't having surgery, and no medical reason other than just needing to lose the 90 pounds, I would have to question such a restrictive amount of calories. Of course, only your doctor knows the reasoning behind his putting you on this diet. I think I would ask him why so low. Not being very active may be one reason since you don't need as many calories.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump