Facebook Helps People Lose Weight!

Options
LeanerBeef
LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
Yep, that’s right – Facebook is helping millions of people get started on the road to better health and fitness! I know it sounds crazy but think about it, how many times have you seen a picture of yourself on Facebook and said to yourself “damn, I really need to lose some weight”? I know that I have untagged numerous horrible pictures over the years that friends have posted from a party or some other event. Eventually, I got sick of looking at those pictures and used them as motivation for finally trying to get in shape. I know I’m not the only one, I’ve heard about or read many stories of people that lost weight and their breaking point was seeing a picture of themselves on Facebook. So stop hating on Mark Zuckerberg, that man is changing the world in more subliminal ways than we’ll ever know.

It’s funny how Facebook works like that. It’s one thing to take pictures while out with friends or at a family event, you get them developed, look at them once and then throw them in an album to collect dust for the next 100 years. Nowadays, good or bad – it’s out there. It’s also increased the cost of most people’s wardrobe. Maybe not so much for women because you’re already aware that you’re not supposed to wear the same outfit 60 times but for guys, no doubt. Back in the day, I used to get a shirt or sweater that I liked and I’d wear it to pretty much every major event until that thing was completed faded. Now, you go out for a night wearing your new shirt, the pics get plastered all over Facebook and you might as well donate that thing to the Goodwill. You might leave the house next time you’re heading out in that shirt thinking you look nice only to hear one of your friends asking “dude, is that the only shirt you own”.

I know I’ve been spouting off about MyFitnessPal, healthy eating and exercise but really someone needs to give the people at Facebook some credit for helping people decide to live a healthier lifestyle.

The picture on the left is the pic I saw on FB that started it all.....true story.
clothescomp.jpg

This story was posted on my blog(askbeef.com) but wanted to share it here too....kinda interesting. At least to me. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Irish_eyes75
    Options
    You're awesome! And you nailed it! I couldn't stand having pics of me tagged. So I deleted FB and came here.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well,

At first I had to do a double take when I read your post topic.. but then I see the point and I agree. LOL unfortunately it's true.
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    Well,

At first I had to do a double take when I read your post topic.. but then I see the point and I agree. LOL unfortunately it's true.

Right, it's definitely true, lol. Nowadays people are probably sick of seeing my pics on FB but before it used to cause me much anxiety.,,,,
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    lol, I have to agree. I figured that when I didn't like picture of myself, I needed to improve myself. Thank you Facebook...
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    lol, I have to agree. I figured that when I didn't like picture of myself, I needed to improve myself. Thank you Facebook...

I speak the truth....:bigsmile:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've never been to facebook and refuse to go on it. I think I did pretty good.
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    I've never been to facebook and refuse to go on it. I think I did pretty good.

Um, good job.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i've had a facebook for 6 years (yes my facebook is a first grader) so i definitely was able to see the freshman 15 and onward. Even on pictures i really liked i never realized how fat my face was until i took new ones.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree...I have my account set to where I have to approve tagged photos before they can be on my page...and I also try to stay away from some people's cameras....some times its not even the fact that Im fat is just terrible photos in general...I will more be able to tolerate a less flattering photo is my body is looking good
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    Yeah, I need to set that up for approvals too, lol. Though now I’m like the self personal portrait paparazzi….:bigsmile:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This is great!!! I agree with the shirt/dress/outfit deal. Dag I spent enough on it why can't it be in every pic and outing I got to!
  • TeresaOH1
    TeresaOH1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That is sooo true! And you look GREAT! Thanks Facebok - you keep at it! :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    There is a widespread epidemic going on where so many people are wanting to live healthier lifestyles and journal their journey along the way. I'm loving it. Askbeef, you, sir rock!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    lolololololololol_gp_383711.jpg
  • candctaber
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing!! FB is what did it for my as well, I was pics of me with my son before his Jr Prom & decided I had to do something!
  • TeresaOH1
    TeresaOH1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I need those pictures too! I am the opposite of annorexic. They look in the mirror and see fat when they are very skinny. When I look in the mirror I always think I look good! Or at least the same. I know I have a tendancy for a double-chin, so I do notice that - but that is it. So I can go out thinking I look great - and then HOLY COW I see the pictures and think what the heck?
  • Romans624
    Options
    Yeah, I need to set that up for approvals too, lol. Though now I’m like the self personal portrait paparazzi….:bigsmile:

LIKE!!

And good job with the loss. Facebook has influenced me too. I have had pictures tagged of me and I'm like UGH I don't look like THAT! lol.... I have one picture from a few years ago - a tiny friend standing behind me sitting in a chair. Yup. Motivation photo!!!!
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ahh, Facebook. What would society do without it?

Yes, you're right. That was very sarcastic.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! And you nailed it! I couldn't stand having pics of me tagged. So I deleted FB and came here.

^^^This! I deactivated my account and then came here and lost the weight. After I lost the weight I reactivated my account and started posting pictures again.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am here because my husband took a picture of me then posted and tagged on FB. I was mortified and pissed lol. Then I realized... hey I can't be mad that he took the pic BUT I can be mad (at myself) for actually looking like that!
    That picture was taken on June 17th and I was signed up on here June 20th. I am now down 38 pounds and still going in the right direction.
    Thank you FB :)