Frustrated!

Options
2»

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The reason I usually don't post on here is because of people that feel it is necessary to put down people. I have been doing this for a month. I have changed up what I have been doing this past week to try to push through this plateau but its not working. I was looking for advice not someone to put me down thanks!

Ive been on a lot of forums over the years and I gotta tell ya...THIS forum is probably the single most judgmental forum that Ive ever come across. As a disclaimer of sorts.......it is also one of the most supportive- you just gotta find the right people. Im surprised new people ever get the courage to post. I dont understand the snotty rude judgmental responses Ive seen here. We're all here for like minded reasons, there's no reason for the sniping judgmental responses.

OP.....stand strong, you're doing a great job. GOOD LUCK

People come on here and ask for advice. Then they get upset when they are told things they don't want to hear, or things that don't fit the things they WANTED to hear.

If you ask a question, you should expect answers.

Life is not always rainbows and unicorns playing in a grass field.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to the boards and more importantly congrats on you choice to live a healthier life. When you make changes to you diet and exercise routine it can take awhile for your hormones/metabolism to catch up with your new life. Please be patient with ourself. There are a few things to look at in the long run ---

Is your calorie target set up properly?
    Here is a good link to help you find all those numbers - BMR TDEE how big a cut etc. MFP will give you some wonky numbers if you have set your weekly loss goal too high for how much you have to lose. If you follow the link and need some help PM me and I will help you check your numbers.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Is your sodium intake high - it will cause water retenntion
    Are you drinking enough water - It helps to flush out water weight retained if your sodium intake is high.
    Are your close to your TOM?
    Did you just up your exercise duration/intensity? It can cause a temporary water/weight gain as your muscles recovery form the new level of intensity.

Most people will tell you that the scale is not your friend - track your measurements and look at you body fat % they will be more consistent. Measure your progress by how well you feel, how strong you are, how your stamina/endurance has improved, how your cloths fit. They are all a better measure of how healthy you are when compared to the number on the scale!

Be patient - it will happen.

^^^^^ THIS! The road map will help you see how to fuel your body and also how not to burn out doing cardio 7 days a week for hours on end. It has been the best thing that happened to me on MFP. LIke minded individuals - who want to lose weight without starving or over working their bodies. It's also a great supportive site with a facebook page with info too. Check it out. You won't be sorry. Good luck & be patient!

ETA: Remember YOU are the only one that sees the scales - everyone sees your progress. Aim for inches lost - not pounds! Aim for a fitter, stronger body. Everyone sees that! :happy:
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I once read that when you change up your routine, be it calories or exercise, it takes a little time for your body to adjust. Please try to be patient.

You are doing all the right things and your body needs to get used to the new routine.

Good luck and if anyone puts you down, just ignore it. Most people are here to help so please just let the ones you feel are negative go. Also, they might be trying to be helpful and just have a hard time typing out what they are really trying to say. Did a course on how emails may be misunderstood.

Keep up the great work!
  • socdocme
    Options
    I understand your frustration, but remember the scale only measures 1 thing--total body weight. It can't measure how much more muscle you're gaining, how much more healthy you're becoming, or how great exercise makes you feel, both physically and emotionally. If you can broaden how you understand this process and focus on the numerous benefits that eating right and exercising provide then your level of frustration will likely diminish. Perhaps you might consider taking a vacation from the scale in order to focus on the other benefits? In any case plateaus are just a part of the process, and maybe they'er necessary, so don't look at them as if they mean you aren't succeeding because each time you choose to eat right and to exercise you are succeeding.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As what as been shown time and time again that it seems NO ONE seems to care about on here...

Why eat back your training calories? You do not need to... And often you eat more than you think because you think you deserve more as you trained...

Calories IN is much much more important than calories OUT....

Research has shown again time and time again, that even with adaptive thermogenesis (Which people here say is starvation mode, which it isn't...) You will still lose weight. Problem is your needs get lower, and a screw up leads to faster weight gain as you have to increase slowly again to get your thermogenesis in your body back up to normal levels.

Simple fact, eat less than you use and you will lose... Doesn't get more simple than that people... I would suggest if you are really not seeing anything, measure yourself first to see if maybe your composition is changing more than you think. Or actually weigh your foods out and get your portions ACTUALLY under control!

Most problems is that people do not have the portion sizes they think and actually underestimate the calories and then complain they not losing anything... Yea... your still having too many calories IN...

Here is something people never say... change your goals every month... it does change ya know... Also a 300 pound person DOES need less than 150 pound person...

Point is, even with an open diary people might get the wrong idea as you might be weighing items incorrect or not putting down important information such as water etc. Monitor your food intake precisely for a week or even a few days and see what portions you really come up with....
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    As what as been shown time and time again that it seems NO ONE seems to care about on here...

Why eat back your training calories? You do not need to... And often you eat more than you think because you think you deserve more as you trained...

Research has shown again time and time again, that even with adaptive thermogenesis (Which people here say is starvation mode, which it isn't...) You will still lose weight. Problem is your needs get lower, and a screw up leads to faster weight gain as you have to increase slowly again to get your thermogenesis in your body back up to normal levels.

Simple fact, eat less than you use and you will lose... Doesn't get more simple than that people... I would suggest if you are really not seeing anything, measure yourself first to see if maybe your composition is changing more than you think. Or actually weigh your foods out and get your portions ACTUALLY under control!

Most problems is that people do not have the portion sizes they think and actually underestimate the calories and then complain they not losing anything... Yea... your still having too many calories IN...

Here is something people never say... change your goals every month... it does change ya know... Also a 300 pound person DOES need less than 150 pound person...

Point is, even with an open diary people might get the wrong idea as you might be weighing items incorrect or not putting down important information such as water etc. Monitor your food intake precisely for a week or even a few days and see what portions you really come up with....

True that some people miscalculate exercise and intake - but seriously - have you read the way MFP is set up? You are supposed to eat your exercise calories. A deficit is already built into their program. If you don't eat back exercise cals - at least some of them? You are netting really low cals. Like 800 - 900 and sometimes lower. People need to look at their NET cals at the end of the day.
  • Zangpakto
    Options
    Oh would like to add I say don't eat your training calories back because likely your not training hard enough to warrant it.

If I run or train for an hour maybe up to two hours, I will not change my daily eating at all.... No point, it is easy to run that time and relaxing... Might say I burn 1200 maybe 2000 calories, but I know it is likely much much less I might have a quick carb before or after, but nothing major would change for that time...

If I run maybe 2+ hours, then sure I need to change my nutrition as that is a significant time on your feet and you will start depleting your liver glycogen stores....

If you only train an hour, then no do not even say you will eat back your calories, there is absolutely no need...
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will stall for several weeks then suddenly get a big whoosh. Weight loss is not linear.
  • Amanda750
    Amanda750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I use a heart rate monitor and weigh and measure my food.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

True that some people miscalculate exercise and intake - but seriously - have you read the way MFP is set up? You are supposed to eat your exercise calories. A deficit is already built into their program. If you don't eat back exercise cals - at least some of them? You are netting really low cals. Like 800 - 900 and sometimes lower. People need to look at their NET cals at the end of the day.

Yes, but if you are miscalculating Cals in and Cals out, the net doesn't matter. Actually, none of it matters because all the calculations will be off.

Does the OP have a scale?
    Measuring cups?
    Does the OP look at the food database and consistantly use the food with the higher cal count or the LOWER count?
    Does the OP use the estimated cals burned according to the database?
    Does the OP measure PROPERLY?

If the OP answers NO, NO, LOWER and YES, NO, she could be off by THOUSANDS of calories in the wrong direction.
  • karenf289
    karenf289 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel very similar, fluctuating between 151-154lbs - driving me insane on occasion, but I have stuck with it..
    A lot of the info here makes sense, but you must keep going, I know I will :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Also a 300 pound person DOES need less than 150 pound person...

actually, a 300 pound person would require significantly more calories to maintain their current weight than a 150 pound person maintaining, which means that for a person who is 300 pounds to eat at a deficit, they can, in theory, still eat more than a 150 pound person trying to eat a deficit.

Yes, at 300 pounds one can afford to eat less, because they have more in reserve, but they can eat more than a smaller person and continue to lose.

Because of this shift, it is important to reassess goals every once in a while.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You are probably just storing water - or it could be the scales.
    We have fitted carpets throughout so the scales have been relegated to the utility room as it is the only room with a hard, vinyl tiled floor. On the bedroom carpet the results could be alarming - or very satisfying if I kick the scales around until I found a bit of floor I "like".

My body doesn't like calling on reserves it has so carefully put aside - and I assume I am not unique in this - if it thinks it can fool me into giving up [i.e. "What's the point of it all <pout>"] and eating a splurge surplus then it will.
  • Zangpakto
    Options
    Yep that was my point, she can be measuring things out of proportions and that is what is causing everything to go upside down and downside up...
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here, but here is one not given yet: "Cheat down" when you eat.

I learned this decades ago at WW. Instead of taking an extra couple of almonds or bites of this or that, cheat *down* and take just a smidge less. Make your measure on the scant side.

I found the "TLBs" (tastes, Licks and Bites) really do add up... in a week, they can be an extra meal.

This might not be your problem, but for anyone on a plateau, there is a real chance they have gotten a little lax with the portion control.

Hang in, this is a normal thing that happens... not fun, but happens to everyone.
  • jennielhawk
    jennielhawk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do when I am frustrated is take my measurements.It helps to see that I am losing inches. I am trying to rely less on what the scale says while understanding that weight loss is important also. Wishing you the best in your weight loss.