Moving to a different state

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Okay, but I'm not sure where. I want to get the heck out of Wisconsin. My in-laws live in Virginia so preferably near there, but not necessarily in Virginia. Somewhere warm preferably.

We were thinking South Carolina, but maybe this sounds stereotypical, but I'm pretty left on the political scale, and my husband is Mexican, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel there :p.

Any suggestions or ideas where to go? We want to get out of the state and away from my family (they're crazies)

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Not New Jersey
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Virginia can get VERY hot in the summer. Humid too. My roomie's from there.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    bump.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Arizona :heart:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Okay, but I'm not sure where. I want to get the heck out of Wisconsin. My in-laws live in Virginia so preferably near there, but not necessarily in Virginia. Somewhere warm preferably.

We were thinking South Carolina, but maybe this sounds stereotypical, but I'm pretty left on the political scale, and my husband is Mexican, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel there :p.

Any suggestions or ideas where to go? We want to get out of the state and away from my family (they're crazies)
    As a Virginian, our beaches are pretty nice, Norfolk, VA Beach, Newport News...and of course if you're liberal get up to Northern Virginia (home for me!), expensive, but a city in its own right!

I live in western Virginia (NOT West Virginia) and it's mountainous, windy and cold most months of the year.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Florida. A little further south than you would like maybe....
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I've lived in Northern Virginia, Miami and now SoCal. I also spent most of my summers growing up in NJ.

Best weather by far is SoCal. Our hot days aren't humid and our cool days are in the 50s. Even during the summer we often have our windows open at night.

If I had to choose a place to live and didn't have to think about my job.... I think I'd choose San Diego by the ocean.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    New Orleans- hot, very diverse, lots to do.
  • tleighs
    Options
    I live in Charlotte, NC. It can get hot here in summer (mid 90's). It is a very nice place. Large diversity of people.
  • emtb319
    Options
    Not NJ (and yes I live there, grumble grumble). SC is nice, but if you're worried about being accepted then head towards the bigger cities. I have family and friends in SC and they can't stop talking about how nice and affordable it is. Personally though, I'm a snow girl and I would love to move back to central PA. It's so nice there.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    not connecticut. i hear the carolina's are great and west virginia people are kind...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No matter what affiliation a state has, there's always spots where the political spectrum's different. For example, Michigan is notoriously labor-union/Democrat, but most of West Michigan is very conservative. Texas is notoriously ~conservative~, but Austin is one of the most libertarian, classically liberal minded cities in the country.

So what I'm saying is: research areas within your ideal climates. You want SC, try looking into cities.

But I'm with you: I grew up in different areas of the south (Pensacola, FL and D.C.) and prefer it to the northern areas I've been in (Eau Claire, WI, Fort Wayne, IN, & Detroit, MI).
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I love being in the Kansas City area, DESPITE the Kansas politics. We get all four seasons, but summer can be very hot and humid. Schools are great in Johnson County, KS.

ETA: And the cost of living is better than either coast.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    OKAY! Here I go.. =) I am from North Carolina, Garner (little bity town right outside Raleigh)
    I LOVED my state <3 It will always be my home. NOW Since you say you are very left, I say move towards Raleigh/ Chapel Hill Durham area, assuming you don't mind being around the college's. I would NOT move to SC.. I live in Myrtle Beach right now... and the younger people here are a little more 'liberal'.. but all these older people are VERY set in their ways... I am getting ready to move out of state too.. we are going pretty far from home.. CA =)

My boyfriend is from CA and he moved to 'The Bible Belt'.. please remember that when you do decide to move down here ;) Although it isn't too bad near Raleigh...

Hope I helped a little... Good Luck! =)

**If you want any other info, I've got family in NC and VA, and my grandparents are originally from WV.. you can message me =)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the south entirely, except maybe Florida. It's a rightwing hellhole. I'm moving as fast and as far as I can. Plus if you have even the slightest tendency toward allergies, you do not want to live in the south. Mold, pollen, a dash of ground level ozone, miserable heat and humidity most of the year. It's hideous. I could write epic poetry on how awful it is here, but I'm just too worn out from the combination of oppressive heat, allergens, and rednecks.

(I exaggerate a bit, but I really do hate the south and I don't know why anyone would want to move here.)
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I understand! I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. I love living in NC. Even though I want to move away from my family too, I don't want to leave NC. There are so many cute small towns outside of the city. Greensboro is large. I would prefer a quint small town. Any city near the coast or the mountains is perfect. I don't like South Carolina as much. I think its a little bit more dirty and not as pretty. Unless its like charlestown or again another small town near the coast or mountains.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MASSACHUSETTS VERY LEFT BUT WEATHER VERY COLD IN WINTER LOL I THINKS THAT IT IS THE PERFECT PLACE TO LIVE
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    A little more info:

Yes, I have allergies, pretty bad. Actually, horrible. The first week of summer I have to live inside, and going into fall I want to die. But, I plan on getting allergy shots. Also, I live in Green Bay, WI, and it is a person with allergies worst nightmare. With all the pollution and sick crap in the air it's unbearable, so I probably wont' take allergies into consideration (unless we're talking Gary, Indiana, but that's not whats keeping me from moving there lol)

I prefer to be in a state near water, and preferably even a coastal city/town. I'm in college right now, so wouldn't mind being near a college city. Growing up in the Midwest water has surrounded me, so I can't imagine driving more than an hour to be near water.

My husband's family lives in Northern Vriginia right outside of The Plains area/Manassas area, about 45 minutes away from D.C. I have been there, and LOOOVEDDD it; but way too far out of my reach as price goes. VA Beach area is nice, too. But hear it's crime ridden.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Europe.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Houston Texas! :D