Why am I gaining weight?

Options
I joined MyFitnessPal about 2 weeks ago and since then I've been counting calories on it. I've been putting in absolutely everything I eat each day, and I've been avoiding unhealthy stuff, and eating loads of fruit and veg. I've cut down on bread as well. They set my maximum as 1320 cals per day and minumum 1200. I've managed to stay within those boundaries pretty much the whole time, except for one or two days where I was about 50 cals above or below the limits. I know you can gain weight if you eat too little but I thought that if it was 1200 or above surely I wouldn't be 'starving myself'? I've tried to be really strict with myself. I know it takes a while to lose weight, more than 2 weeks but surely it should be slowly coming off, not rapidly going on?!

But since I joined I've gained 4 pounds! How is that possible? I've been trying to eat as well as I can, with a balance of foods, but it hasn't worked. My goal is 9st 12, and when I started I was 10st 4, not I'm 10st 8! I've been weighing myself every morning just before I get in the shower, so clothes, food and drink won't affect it. Can anybody enlighten me as to what went wrong?

Replies

• WriterIzzy
    Options
    Are you working out as well? If you're working out, then that means you're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't freak out! Weight is simply relative. Weight is not a very accurate measure of your success either. You must re-train your brain to think differently.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well your diary is closed so I can't really comment that much.

I think the whole "oh muscle weighs more than fat" thing is usually just an excuse, especially at the start of weight loss. If you're lean already and doing a lot of weight training then, yes, you might be gaining muscle. If you're average or overweight and not working out a lot.........that's probably not it.

If you're eating at about 1200 a day and not working out, and gaining, then you may be eating too much sugar or carbs or SOMETHING in your diet that doesn't work for you.Are you sure about your portions?

Another thing is that the first couple weeks can be just an adjustment period for lots of folks, especially if you were previously eating significantly higher calories. LOTS of people come on here posting that they gain in the first couple weeks of cutting calories. One big thing you need to be successful is persistance.....don't give up. Figure out whats not working in your diet or work out plan and fix it. But it won't get fixed over night. It took time to put the weight on, it'll take time to take it off.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I joined MyFitnessPal about 2 weeks ago and since then I've been counting calories on it. I've been putting in absolutely everything I eat each day, and I've been avoiding unhealthy stuff, and eating loads of fruit and veg. I've cut down on bread as well. They set my maximum as 1320 cals per day and minumum 1200. I've managed to stay within those boundaries pretty much the whole time, except for one or two days where I was about 50 cals above or below the limits.

Do you own a food scale and do you use it regularly?
    Do you use measuring devices?

I know you can gain weight if you eat too little

You don't gain weight from eating too little. Your body cannot manufacture matter out of nothing.
    But since I joined I've gained 4 pounds! How is that possible? I've been trying to eat as well as I can, with a balance of foods, but it hasn't worked. My goal is 9st 12, and when I started I was 10st 4, not I'm 10st 8! I've been weighing myself every morning just before I get in the shower, so clothes, food and drink won't affect it. Can anybody enlighten me as to what went wrong?

1) You could be eating more than you think.
    2) You could be retaining fluids.
    3) A combination of the above.

You are not gaining muscle at an appreciate rate on that calorie intake.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what might be the issue. Measure and weigh your foods, be sure you are getting in your water 8 glasses a day.....if you are working out then it could be muscle.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I joined MyFitnessPal about 2 weeks ago and since then I've been counting calories on it. I've been putting in absolutely everything I eat each day, and I've been avoiding unhealthy stuff, and eating loads of fruit and veg. I've cut down on bread as well. They set my maximum as 1320 cals per day and minumum 1200. I've managed to stay within those boundaries pretty much the whole time, except for one or two days where I was about 50 cals above or below the limits.

You don't gain weight from eating too little. Your body cannot manufacture matter out of nothing.

This is everything I was going to say. Perfect :)
  • ktleeanderson414
    Options
    Its alright! Breathe my dear! . Try not to rely on a scale so much, its very misleading. You could also be retaining water if you're not drinking enough water. Along with a scale, try to use a measuring tape :). I wish you the best of luck!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If you're eating in a calorie deficit, even on the off chance that you are gaining a slight amount of muscle, your weight gain is not muscle. You are not going to increase in total mass eating at a deficit, and that goes for both fat gain and LBM gain.

Could you gain muscle? Under the right conditions, even in a deficit, you could gain a small amount but I assure you, you didn't make a 4lb gain in LBM in 2 weeks on 1200 calories.

It's very, very likely to be fluid retention.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shinjite
    Options

That is tremendously wrong. For the last several years I have been gaining weight. I am a vegan and it made me concerned. I spoke to the doctor I had at the time about it and he said "eat less", So I did. I gained more weight. I kept complaining so he sent me to a nutritionist who spent more time telling me to go back to eating meat than trying to help. I had been measuring and logging my food for aa long time but I had never really calculated the calories.
    After doing some reading on the web I sat down and using a calorie counter calculated the calories. Turns out that on a good day I was getting 500 cals. On most days it was between 100 and 250.
    I decided to bump my calories to making sure I ate at least 1000 and then now to at least 1200. Since I started - many slips where I overestimated the amount of calories in the food I consumed but I have lost 30 lbs. It took me 8 months but it still makes me happy.
    You can absolutely gain weight on too few calories.

That said, initially when I bumped my calories I jumped for 221 to 232 the first month. After that it leveled off and I started losing. I read somewhere that it can sometimes take the body 6-8 weeks to adjust so just be patient. If you try it for a couple of months and it does not start giving results then try tweaking your foods, drink more water, etc. Try to just more by your clothing. Make sure you do some kind of toning/weight resistance even if it is just 10 mins 3 times per week.
    Good luck
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

This is everything I was going to say. Perfect :)
    Ditto - except I'll add that if you are eating far less than usual, and not eating a lot of your calories as vegetables, you could also be constipated.

EDIT: It's not possible for a woman to build 4lb of muscle in a week, but I do a LOT of strength training / extended cardio exercise, I'm always heavier the next morning - the muscles hang onto fluid while they're rebuilding fibres, it only lasts a day though.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Your body could be adjusting to the new diet. I would suggest getting some exercise in there as well. Getting thin doesn't mean much if you are still unhealthy!

One mistake a lot of new calorie counters make is eating more packaged food because it is easier to read the calories. That means you are going to be eating way too much sodium! Others tend to only eat fruit and veggies which can cause problems because you also need some complex carbs and protein.
  • SideSteel
    Options

That is tremendously wrong.

I should have said you do not gain non-fluid weight from eating in a calorie deficit. You can certainly retain fluids. You do not gain fat from eating less than you burn. That is "starvation mode nonsense".
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You are probably UNDER estimating your caloric intake and OVER estimating your work outs
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The main thing is, don't be discouraged.

Weigh your food, never guess, log EVERYTHING including drinks, take "exercise calories burned readings" on cardio machines with a pinch of salt, eat the calories you're told to on here and it's 99.99% certain that you'll lose fat.

There are a very small number of people who put weight on while eating at what should be a deficit, there are metabolic / thyroid disorders which can case this, so if you're convinced that you're accurately recording your calorie intake and burn, and still putting on weight, go see your doctor PDQ.

Having said that, it's far far more likely that you've been inaccurately recording your intake / overestimating your calories burned.

If so, you haven't wasted the last two weeks, it's all a learning process and it's what you eat on average for the next decade or five that matters, not what you ate in the last few weeks or years.
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It pays to double check the serving size. I was getting shafted on breakfast cereal. Apparently the 'serving' size is only a few tablespoons! Another time I had to reduce from 2 pieces of gluten free toast to 1 as that stuff is solid. :-) but early days. Don't panic.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep! Check your portion size!! You can not put weight on other than if you eat more than you use.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure all the things O:

Also, being female, as am I (the photo gives it away), I fluctuate between 2-5lb of water weight during my period which is frustrating to tell you the least but there's nothing I can do about it!

You've got to keep going as well, just a bit of a set back shouldn't throw you off completely!