Vitamin D3 for weight loss?

Options
I heard that Vitamin D3 helps aide weight loss (speeds it up a little). I'm wondering if anyone has or is taking Vitamin D3 and if they've noticed a significant difference at all in their weight loss?

Also, if you are taking it, how much daily?

Replies

• adubyou
    adubyou Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight loss, but I know it drastically helps improve my food. It's like getting sunlight without actually getting sun... although I don't know why you'd want to do that. Haha.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight loss but I do take it since I don't get enough sun where I am at . So I use Nature's Bounty Calcium (1200mg) that comes with 1000IU Vitamin D3. Vitamin D helps with absorption of Calcium for maintainance of bone density. And as a woman, I am at high risk of osteoporosis if I don't take enough calcium. It has other benefits too. It helps with strengthening immune system too. Haven't realised much about weight loss, but it has kept me from being sick eversince. :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do take it - and no I don't think it does speed up weight loss. It's good for people to take in winter or for those who live in areas where there is little sunlight, and helps combat seasonal depression. So people who take for that reason may well find themselves able to be more active and motivated, and therefore lose weight. But I don't think there is any direct correlation (although I stand to be corrected).
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will do anything for weight loss. People with low vitamin d levels tend to have less energy. But taking it would bring you to a normal level of energy. It doesn't give you energy like caffine (or something like that) might. Also too much vitamin d is dangerous. I am on vitamin d suppliments but under a doctors supervision. I have to get blood tests regularly to make sure I don't get too much.
  • lkc2854
    lkc2854 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that it helps with weight loss, either. However, I take it because the medicine I'm on for my Lupus makes me VERY sun sensitive. Taking Vitamin D and calcium together will help with absorption in your body and both are needed to build strong bones. If you're peri-menopausal like me, you need all the help you can get in order to avoid developing osteoporosis.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it because my Vitamin D level was so low. I haven't seen any difference in weight loss other than I do have more energy than I had before.
  • hayleywoodle
    Options
    My mom has been taking d3 for a month with out changing her diet and lost 7 lbs. Her belly fat has reduced significantly. She told me she heard about it on Dr Oz so I looked it up - http://vitamindweightloss.net/. I'm adding it to my 1200 cal/day diet and see if it helps me!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm chronically vitamin D deficient (and I spend a good chunk of time in the sun). I'm not sure why. I actually need to pick up some supplements but I have not noticed any difference in weight loss whether I'm taking it or not.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have read that it helps increase building muscle. Think u need to consume at least 3000 IUs. Be careful before taking them without consulting a dr first. I've also heard too much can b hard on your kidneys
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I coincidentally started taking vitaimin D3 around the same time I decided to lose weight. The vitamin D was because my doctor told me that I was dangerously low on it. I lost weight extremely easily. I do wonder if the vitamin D had something to do with it, but I have no basis for comparison because I wasn't dieting prior to taking it.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I'm chronically vitamin D deficient (and I spend a good chunk of time in the sun). I'm not sure why. I actually need to pick up some supplements but I have not noticed any difference in weight loss whether I'm taking it or not.

I think that in certain areas of the country, it doesn't matter how much time you spend in the sun because you just can't get it from the sun. I'm in one of those areas.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I heard that Vitamin D3 helps aide weight loss (speeds it up a little). I'm wondering if anyone has or is taking Vitamin D3 and if they've noticed a significant difference at all in their weight loss?

I wouldn't buy into the gimmick-e stuff for weight loss. Get enough D3, get enough everything, but don't over do it. Also, D3 isn't absorbed very well into the body in pill form. You're better off getting some sun. Also, D3 is absorbed through the skin and can be washed off, that's one of the reasons they recommend you do not shower after you suntan.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I coincidentally started taking vitaimin D3 around the same time I decided to lose weight. The vitamin D was because my doctor told me that I was dangerously low on it. I lost weight extremely easily. I do wonder if the vitamin D had something to do with it, but I have no basis for comparison because I wasn't dieting prior to taking it.

I think it has something to do with the fact that you are running the highest calorie deficit recommended on this site as mentioned in another thread. I wouldn't blame it on D magic.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I take 2000mg a day of D3 and, like Aviva, had a severe deficiency. It is super important because it aids in calcium absorption (which I also take)

"According to a 2009 study, Vitamin D levels measured at the beginning of a weight loss program can accurately predict the amount of weight loss in the participants. Thirty-eight overweight men and women were placed on a diet consisting of 750 calories per day more than needed to maintain their current weight for 11 weeks. Those participants with the lowest vitamin D levels lost less weight and less abdominal fat than those with higher levels of vitamin D.

"Our results suggest the possibility that the addition of vitamin D to a reduced-calorie diet will lead to better weight loss," said the study's lead author, Shalamar Sibley, MD, MPH, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294163-vitamin-d3-weight-loss/#ixzz2KX8FiLep" -- Research sources are at the bottom of the link.

Basically the only solid correlation is that most obese people studied have D3 deficiencies. It's no weight loss miracle, but like any good supplement, it can help round out an already healthy diet.
  • Aviva92
    Options

I think it has something to do with the fact that you are running the highest calorie deficit recommended on this site as mentioned in another thread. I wouldn't blame it on D magic.

well, others would say that i would have stalled on my calorie deficit, but i didnt. i still wouldn't discount it as possibly helping. losing weight just seemed incredibly easy for me and makes me wonder how i got to 140 in the first place.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I wouldn't buy into the gimmick-e stuff for weight loss. Get enough D3, get enough everything, but don't over do it. Also, D3 isn't absorbed very well into the body in pill form. You're better off getting some sun. Also, D3 is absorbed through the skin and can be washed off, that's one of the reasons they recommend you do not shower after you suntan.

Liquid D3 taken with a meal has a high absorption rate and would certainly be more healthy than suntanning. Extended suntanning would be overkill given that, "spending just 20 to 30 minutes in the sun induces the skin to produce approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D, which is 50 times more than the U.S. government's recommendation of 200 IU per day."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294163-vitamin-d3-weight-loss/#ixzz2KX9babUW
  • CoderGal
    Options

I think that in certain areas of the country, it doesn't matter how much time you spend in the sun because you just can't get it from the sun. I'm in one of those areas.
    Or you shower to much, or shower after sun exposure (this is how you absorb vitamin D). If you're looking into getting a suppliment, consider getting one encapsulated in an oil base. Vitamin D is fat soluble.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I'm in Texas. I'm pretty sure I should be absorbing enough vitamin D :) It could have something to do with the fact that I'm overweight... I have been losing weight pretty easily, as well (even without the supplements).
  • CoderGal
    Options

Liquid D3 taken with a meal has a high absorption rate and would certainly be more healthy than suntanning. Extended suntanning would be overkill given that, "spending just 20 to 30 minutes in the sun induces the skin to produce approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D, which is 50 times more than the U.S. government's recommendation of 200 IU per day."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294163-vitamin-d3-weight-loss/#ixzz2KX9babUW
    I wouldn't recommend excessive suntanning. Or purposely suntanning at all. Mostly just getting outside getting fresh air and absorbing some vitamins.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot better since my doctor told me to take Vitamin D3 every day. I don't get out in the sun at all without sunscreen because we live in Florida.