Stuck

Options

Replies

• spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My BFF has debilitating thyroid issues, but when I ask her she *says* that typically thyroid is only directly linked to weight gain because it can make you retain some water (less than 10 lbs). On the other hand, it can make exercise feel impossibly hard. So check that out. She has something called Hashimoto's Syndrome which can make you feel like you have severe chronic fatigue plus lots of other crap, and it's really pretty easy to treat.

C25K -- I'm doing that. I had been recovering from an emergency c-section, so my ground zero starting point (in late October 2011) was that I couldn't even stand up because my body had basically been partially cut in half and then sewn back together. I walked around the house, then around the block, then around the block more than once, then for a half hour, then an hour, then started the Zen Labs C25K iPod app at week one, two months ago (after about 7 months of just walking). Now I can run for 30 minutes at 6 mph and it feels pretty good. I know you can do it. But try to get an app of it for your iPod or something -- it makes it a lot easier to stick with, because you don't have to think at all, or time anything.

Whatever you do I would recommend a tiered program that gives you the plan for increasing from where you're at now, especially if it includes a fit test of some kind. Like twohundredsitups.com or C25K are good ones for that. If you are a novice to working out, these will let you start at a slower more conservative pace. People don't just go from sitting around watching TV on the sofa to being able to run marathons like it's no thing -- lots of super small steps in between make it possible.

One thing I do sometimes too (not for my C25K, but if I feel like I was a lump all day or whatever) is run in place while I watch TV. Nice if you feel too frumpy to run outside and you don't mind a slower burn.
  • rachelnielson
    rachelnielson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get positive! You can change the way you see some things if you decide to see them differently. It's so important to take charge of your outlook :-)

I’ve had basically all the problems you mentioned. I like using a stair climber or an elliptical. Bring things to the gym/home gym to keep you from getting board. I like to listen to audio books while I play games on my iPad. That really passes the time for me.

I would also really recommend that you get a heart rate monitor and track what rate you’re in when you exerciseing. I lose weight best when I stay at the top of heart rate zone 3 (when doing cardio). It's an easily sustainable level of exertion for me too.

I use this monitor: http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-RunGym-Pack-for-iPhone.asp (got it at Best Buy)

I love this one, but it is for the iPhone if you have Android or what have you. If you try this out, you may want to use it in combination with the Digifit app.

You can also track your heart rate with the watch version… I almost bought this one:

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12194241&010=SKU-11341715&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12194241
  • Jac118
    Options
    There's soooo much to try for "exercise"!

I play pick up soccer (try meetup.com); go to free yoga at the local Lululemon, they also have a running club once a week; free salsa lessons in the park etc. etc.

Be creative! Even dance classes are considered exercise.

Another option is VOLUNTEERING, for example, cleaning up a park reserve. That's exercise too!!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I'm definitely going to try your suggestions.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @Adini: Because i hate ALL of it. i hate running/jogging gives me shin splints/red face/heart rate out of control/legs hurt/can't breathe. Lifting? Every single i do it i'm sore FOR DAYS. every. single. time. how can i go for a walk or jog the next day when i can barely move?? not many recreational sports for 28 year old females...unless i join one of the 1,000 mens softball leagues...
    you sound like me 6 months ago :) I told my mom something similar. And then i started trying different things and found what works for me. Jogging wasn't an option because i have no one to do it with and only time I can do it is after 9pm (not safe for a woman), gym - too expensive for my budget, sports - I don't really like people and i try to avoid them whenever i can. So i tried some workout dvd's and Jillian was the one that i clicked with. First 25 days I was dying, sweating my heart out taking breaks all the time...I'm not taking breaks any more, I'm not that red in my face when i workout, I'm not panting as much and walking is something i look forward to in the morning.

Try different things, who knows maybe you'll like something enough to turn it into a habit
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love being able to measure food, beats the heck out of dirtying every measuring cup in the kitchen. Get a scale that you can switch back and forth between metric and British, mine is called escali and I bought it on Amazon.

Ruth
    Joined MFP 4 months ago. Lost 3lbs. Seriously? On 1340 calories which i rarely go over? Then I see other people who lost 20-30 lbs in 4-6 months. I hate exercising (no i can't "find something i love doing"), possible thyroid issues, on top of horrible genetics. Fed up, but I know I can't throw in the towel...just tired of being huge. :(

You don't have to exercise to lose weight.

Are you logging everything? Condiments, beverages, bites off someone else's plate and all that?

Are you measuring with a food scale?

trust me i log evvveerryyyyttthhiinnngg even if it makes me feel like *kitten* after lol because i like to know exactly how much damage i've done.

but no i haven't bought a food scale yet and i should. when i log my food i choose the options that don't go by grams...cause i have no concept of grams whatsoever lol

yes, note to self: buy a food scale already!
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    I don't really like people and i try to avoid them whenever i can. So i tried some workout dvd's and Jillian was the one that i clicked with. First 25 days I was dying, sweating my heart out taking breaks all the time...I'm not taking breaks any more, I'm not that red in my face when i workout, I'm not panting as much and walking is something i look forward to in the morning.

Try different things, who knows maybe you'll like something enough to turn it into a habit

OMG...you had me at "I don't really like people"...friends? :drinker:

Also when i WAS doing 30 Day Shred it was horrible, but the 2nd time i tried it it was easier....now this will be my 3rd time going back to it.. :grumble:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    On light exercise days I really like looking up yoga routines on YouTube and just following along the best I can.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    On light exercise days I really like looking up yoga routines on YouTube and just following along the best I can.

Yeah, netflix has a few decent yoga routines as well. this is not an "excuse" but just a fact...after i shattered my arm in 2005, i'm unable to extend it all the way. so if i'm in a pushup position, my right arm will stay slightly bent, so my left arm has to do the same...kind of hard to explain, but this makes yoga a bit difficult sometimes, although i like the concept of it and i can still do some of the moves, or i just do them with my arms bent instead of completely straight.
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Adini: Because i hate ALL of it. i hate running/jogging gives me shin splints/red face/heart rate out of control/legs hurt/can't breathe. Lifting? Every single i do it i'm sore FOR DAYS. every. single. time. how can i go for a walk or jog the next day when i can barely move?? not many recreational sports for 28 year old females...unless i join one of the 1,000 mens softball leagues...
    Biking? I can't run either due to knee issues, but I've gone from biking a couple of miles a day to biking 100 miles/week in a few months.

As for lifting, yes, you're sore. But then do it again 3 days later. And again. And again. Keep doing it til you're not sore. :)
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't really like people and i try to avoid them whenever i can. So i tried some workout dvd's and Jillian was the one that i clicked with. First 25 days I was dying, sweating my heart out taking breaks all the time...I'm not taking breaks any more, I'm not that red in my face when i workout, I'm not panting as much and walking is something i look forward to in the morning.

Also when i WAS doing 30 Day Shred it was horrible, but the 2nd time i tried it it was easier....now this will be my 3rd time going back to it.. :grumble:
    Friends :))

She made me cry and very few people on this planet can do that. So I'm sticking with her :)))
    Mix it up: Use different dvd's/youtube videos. I am doing: 6week6pack because i hate my belly and what my job has done to it, 30 day shred and rip to make myself sleep better and burn fat boost metabolism because I'm a masochist and I rotate them:)))
  • laurenz2501
    Options

Friends :))

She made me cry and very few people on this planet can do that. So I'm sticking with her :)))
    Mix it up: Use different dvd's/youtube videos. I am doing: 6week6pack because i hate my belly and what my job has done to it, 30 day shred and rip to make myself sleep better and burn fat boost metabolism because I'm a masochist and I rotate them:)))

i really wish i was a masochist...working out would be so much easier...
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If you're so sore you can't move after working out then you over did it. Let me guess, you got a personal trainer and they punished you like a dog?
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    If you're so sore you can't move after working out then you over did it. Let me guess, you got a personal trainer and they punished you like a dog?

Jillian Michaels DVD....same thing.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    We cannot help those who are not willing to do the work, to get what they want.

Ha! You pretty much said the same but in fewer words! LOL!

Then don't bother ;)

Lauren, It seems to me like you are not really liking what you are getting in reply to your post. ; )
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    We cannot help those who are not willing to do the work, to get what they want.

Ha! You pretty much said the same but in fewer words! LOL!

Then don't bother ;)

Lauren, It seems to me like you are not really liking what you are getting in reply to your post. ; )

Aside from all the "Thank you so much, you guys are awesome, i'm definitely going to take that into consideration" responses i wrote. Right...
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

when I was 340 lbs I did some workout DVD. I don't know who it was. It was that biggest loser or something. Aside from looking like an idiot, I also ended up walking with a limp for a month. That's when I decided to do something really stupid and got into weight lifting. I started doing squats with just the bar and worked my way up. Now I can squat what I used to weigh. Just some food for thought (no pun intended).
  • laurenz2501
    Options

when I was 340 lbs I did some workout DVD. I don't know who it was. It was that biggest loser or something. Aside from looking like an idiot, I also ended up walking with a limp for a month. That's when I decided to do something really stupid and got into weight lifting. I started doing squats with just the bar and worked my way up. Now I can squat what I used to weigh. Just some food for thought (no pun intended).

Haha thanks :) wow a whole month? that sucks. well i'm coming to know myself better especially using MFP. i know that whenever i actually feel like working out, i overdo it because i think "wow, i actually FEEL like going to the gym? i better put it to good use". and sometimes i really do feel like i can keep going or go harder, and then get hurt. i have to remember to pace myself.
  • KatiaClouse
    KatiaClouse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising (no i can't "find something i love doing")

I hate it too. Just like I hate waking up at 4:30 during the week to get ready for work. But I DO it, because it's what must be done in order to accomplish that which I need to do.
  • melpop8
    melpop8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP 4 months ago. Lost 3lbs. Seriously? On 1340 calories which i rarely go over? Then I see other people who lost 20-30 lbs in 4-6 months. I hate exercising (no i can't "find something i love doing"), possible thyroid issues, on top of horrible genetics. Fed up, but I know I can't throw in the towel...just tired of being huge. :(

Have lots of sex?