Calling all Irish/Germans

Options
So hi. I'm Ambyr. (= I'm a psychology major at a local university and I'm of Irish/German decent (I have a point don't worry). I'm currently enrolled in a class called Social & Cultural Psychology and part of my grade this semester is to make an authentic dish from one of my places of origin(To be real specific, I'm actually a "mutt" I have Irish, German, English, Scottish, Welsh, Seminole Indian and Cherokee Indian in me).

I need some ideas for said project. It's not until october or november I believe but it's a HUGE part of my grade. My aunt(who is the family historian lol) has no recipes and my great grandparents(who I live with) know no "authentic" ones either.

I really appreciate all ideas/lists/recipes. Especially anything easy to cook with ingredients easy to find. (=

Thanks in advance.

PS, once I'm done with my BS Psychology, I'm going to Ireland to celebrate my graduating!...Before I go on for my MS. -__-

Replies

• jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am an Iriah girl and the most authentic dish I can think of would be Irish Stew...There are many variations but normally its nicest with Lamb pieces, Potatoes, vegetables such as carrots and parsnip and then an oxtail falvour juice...Some people cheat and actually use the soup and its still lovely but if you google it you should find the suthentice recipe...oh and by the way its yummy. What part of Ireland are you hoping to visit?
  • reddevil29
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Really?? Are we all tarred with that brush?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

No, some of us just drink beer.
  • jrutledge01
    Options
    potatoes and beer

hell yea!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie? Bangers 'n mash? Or is that British? Uhmmm
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Colcannon Potatoes..Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. Yield: 12-16 Servings

2 pounds cabbage, shredded
    2 cups water
    4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
    2 cups milk
    1 cup chopped green onions
    Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley

Directions
    In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
    Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
    In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.

Nutritional Facts
    3/4 cup (calculated without salt and bacon) equals 149 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Yeah...if I didn't go to a catholic college, maybe.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I believe bangers and mash is authentic, shepherds pie, and corned beef and cabbage would all qualify
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

No, some of us just drink beer.

I had baby roast potatoes and wine this evening - am I tarred or not? I need to know :)
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Am don't you mean 'spuds' and 'stout'.

What about soda bread with the stew. There are loads of Irish dishes here:

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/index.shtm
  • jrutledge01
    Options
    potatoes and beer

so..whiskey?

potatoes and beer

Am don't you mean 'spuds' and 'stout'.

What about soda bread with the stew. There are loads of Irish dishes here:

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/index.shtm

i like you
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Boiled dinner!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Classic-Irish-Boiled-Dinner/

My grandma used to make this allllll the time. I'm not a good Irish girl - I hate corned beef! I wish I had her recipe, just for the sake of having it!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Shepherd's pie? Bangers 'n mash? Or is that British? Uhmmm

Bangers and Mash I think is British....Shepherds Pie we eat but not really an Authentic Meal
  • reddevil29
    Options
    potatoes and beer

so..whiskey?

Then I guess you also think we are all leprechauns that live at the end of the rainbow with our crock of gold :D
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Hey there, I am an Iriah girl and the most authentic dish I can think of would be Irish Stew...There are many variations but normally its nicest with Lamb pieces, Potatoes, vegetables such as carrots and parsnip and then an oxtail falvour juice...Some people cheat and actually use the soup and its still lovely but if you google it you should find the suthentice recipe...oh and by the way its yummy. What part of Ireland are you hoping to visit?

All of it! LOL I want to see Dublin of course, as well as Limerick, the "dark hedges" in Northern Ireland, County Kildare, County Mayo and a bunch of others. I really want to be there for at least 2 weeks. I'd love to hit Scottland while I'm in Europe too, but we'll see. I have an "official list" on tripadvisor. (=
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Colcannon Potatoes..Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. Yield: 12-16 Servings

2 pounds cabbage, shredded
    2 cups water
    4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
    2 cups milk
    1 cup chopped green onions
    Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley

Directions
    In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
    Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
    In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.

Nutritional Facts
    3/4 cup (calculated without salt and bacon) equals 149 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.

That sounds really easy! Thanks!
  • dosmundos
    Options
    Hmm, I am as german as they come. Been here just for 5 years, born, raised, married and had my kids in Germany.

Unfortunately, the allrecipes does have lots of good recipes but hardly anything that is true german stuff. It's like with chinese food, it is mostly adjusted to the culture it is presented in.

So what kind of dish are you looking for? Meat? Sweet? Cake?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Weiner schnitzel? ;-)

Hmmm ... Have you googled for some recipes? My paternal great-grandmother was German, but my grandmother was the cook in the family so nothing from that side got passed down. I do have a friend who's is German -- born and raised in Germany German. He's actually there visiting right now, but I can message him and ask if he has any ideas.